Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rain

"Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. 
Let the rain sing you a lullaby." 
-- Langston Hughes


Much needed rain arrived this morning.
I had errands to run;
I didn't hesitate to set my plans aside
and settle in by my window
to the sounds of rain against the window panes.


Thinking it would last only a short while
I thought I could spend a little guilt free time with my book.

Much to my surprise the rain continued to fall
throughout most of the day.
The new dry creek bed flowed with rain water.


I think I needed the rain as much as the plants.
As I looked out my kitchen window
it seemed as if every plant was celebrating
and my spirit was lifted.


We were all weary and in need of recharging.
The sun reappeared around 5:30
casting shadows inside


and out.


Willie and I ventured outside to do our little walkabout.


I found all well and looking refreshed
 with rain drops still clinging
to leaves and petals.






Willie found his newest buddy (yet to be named),
not seeming to be shy.


In fact, I think he is smiling for the camera.

The creek bed is once again dry.


The Weatherman promises high temperatures
with humidity the rest of the week.
 Tomorrow there will be little if any sign of the rain that
washed away the dust and cobwebs today.

We will accept what tomorrow brings
because we were blessed with the gift of today.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Bonnie! I am like you, getting lost in the rain. I love all your images and yes, I think your little friend is smiling at you!
    Best wishes for a lovely day Bonnie and many thanks for your very kind
    comments recently. They are very much appreciated :)

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    Oh, the sound of the rain falling, particularly after long periods of dry, hot days, is so very wonderful. We love to hear it and see it, and then as it clears to be outside in that magical freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite type of day...the always seems brighter and I'm more aware of the colors of nature after an afternoon rain. However, we are flooded here and the rain hasn't been too pretty...I'd love to pass it on to you!
    Your photos are beautiful and doesn't it look like Mr. Turtle IS smiling! Enjoy today...whatever it brings.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rain pictures are wonderful! I agree with all...that turtle IS smiling at you! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love a rainey day!! an upexpected inside day to do inside stuff!!!!

    i think the turtle looks like a cute little garden ornament!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. There is really something so relaxing about a soft rain. I wish I had a screened in porch on days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like summer reading when it is raining outside. We don't get rain in the summer here. (Bummer) but when I visit my brother they do. Long naps in the rain up in their attic guest room. What could be better.

    ReplyDelete