Friday, June 10, 2011

Hot Nights, Cold Suppers and a Little Heartache


Good Friday morning!  I just came in from taking Willie out and, oh my, it feels almost (dare I say) cool outside.  I think I might get a little planting done this morning.

The last few days have been quite warm with temperatures rising into the high nineties and threatening to hand us our first triple digits.  It is only June and it is feeling like late July and August.  These warm nights call for cold suppers, cool beverages and a good book.

 I will admit it.  When Roger is away I do not eat very well.  I am not one to prepare much for myself.   I'll cut up an avocado and a tomato, sprinkle a bit of salt, grind a little pepper, maybe add a glass of wine and I am set.


Roger is back from Boston and wants more than my usual fare.   I thought a salmon nicoise salad would be perfect for a warm night.  Everything was cooked early and refrigerated, waiting to be plated.   Pair it with a slightly chilled Pinot Noir and you have a delicious cold dinner for a hot summer night.  Bon Appetit!


Well, I've been a little sad the last day or two.  It seems my babies did not make it.  Wednesday afternoon as I turned into my driveway I saw a neighbor's cat walking along the brick  wall along the side of my house.  I immediately headed into the backyard hoping to find one of the sweet babies waiting for our usual afternoon game of hide and seek, but the yard was unusually quiet.  After searching in all the favorite hiding spots and not getting my  daily scolding from the mom I was pretty much convinced something had happened.  Later in the evening Roger and Willie found conclusive evidence.


In the past several years I have had several baby critters find their way into my yard, and I have rejoiced in watching them scurry, hop and fly away on their own.   I've always thought the  garden fairies led these creatures to my yard (babies seem to appear about the same time as the fairy flower ) knowing they would be safe.  While I know this is part of nature, I feel like I have let them down.


Willie has been released to freely roam his backyard once again.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Sometimes it can be so very difficult to understand Nature's ways. We are so sad that the Blue Jay Family has been decimated and are sure that you must miss all the comings and goings.

    We cannot believe the temperatures that you are experiencing and are pleased that it is a very comfortable 25C-29C here. Certainly the very hot temeratures can be so destructive in the garden.

    But, your supper looks delicious. Can there be room for two more at the table?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am so sorry about your baby birds. We have a cat and I have taken our bird feeder out of the yard because I feel that I'm just chumming the birds in for their demise.
    Your cool supper looks wonderful. I too am perfectly content with sliced tomato and avocado for dinner. Delicious!
    Please send a little warmth this way. Here on the Oregon coast we seem to be stuck at about 56 degree's and so ready for some sun and warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow bonnie....that supper looks amazing, i happen to LOVE pictures of food!!!

    soooo sad about your baby birds, the circle of life, difficult to understand!!! poor momma, she must feel devastated.

    we had a tree removed once, it had a robin's nest in it but of course we did not know. the momma came back and circled and circled, looking for the tree and nest. that is when we realized what had happened. it was so difficult to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the sweetest little book called "That Quail, Robert" by Margaret Stanger. It's about a couple who were watching a nest in their yard only to find one egg cracked. They bring the second one in and it hatches--a quail!! It reminds me of your story that did not end as well. At the moment, we have a nest with two, we think, wren eggs in it. We water the fern very carefully!

    Best.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete