Sunday, June 12, 2011

Preparing for Summer

"Life does often get in the way of one's reading."  agreed the Major
 Helen Simonson, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand


My gardening frenzy is over.  I spent much of yesterday planting everything
I have been collecting the last few weeks.  The last planter is filled,


and the hanging baskets are...well...they are hanging.


Tomorrow I will head to the nursery for a few impatiens to add a little color in the baskets, and here and there.  I've ask the landscapers to add "putting down mulch in the back beds" to my bill.

The plants will grow.  The weeds will try to take over, with only a little resistance from me.  And, the water bill will rise.
It is time for me to turn my attention to other obsessions.



I really fell behind with my reading this spring.  Life just kept happening, not taking into consideration I might like to sit down and enjoy a few good reads.
  Here are the titles I carried out to the garden bench this past spring (along with a few comments from someone who does not know what she is talking about -- me.)

Isaac Newton, James Gleick
(interesting, but unless you are doing a study on Newton, you might want to read something else)
Stoner, John Williams 
(I  loved this book.  The writing is beautiful and characters are fully developed)
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simonson
(an sweet read)
Cutting for Stone, Abraham Verghes
(I could not wait to read this book.  I so wanted to love it.  I liked it.  The last 200 pages were well worth plowing through the first 400.)


****

I'm putting together my summer reading list.


"Books and summertime go together"
Find a spot to stay cool, and pick up a good book.  You know I'm dying  to know what you'll be reading.

9 comments:

  1. the planter and baskets look beautiful....

    you have created a comfortable oasis for reading and sipping tea....take time to enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your planters look great. Soon I will have to blog about my spring reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    Your garden will, we are certain, look very colourful within a week or so now that it is planted up. It is always surprising how little time plants take to grow once they are established.

    An interesting, and catholic, collection of books for those long hot summer days outside which, we trust, you will find the time to read and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie -- I tell people I have my own little biosphere.

    Suzy -- I'd love to hear about what you have read and what you are reading.

    Jane and Lance -- I am, if nothing else, an eclectic in reading as in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am finally done with planting too. There is still all of the upkeep that goes with gardening but I'm so happy to be outdoors during our brief summer season. Reading outdoors - even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm i need to look into those books!

    your planters look great!

    happy reading!
    Leontien
    www.fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie!
    I felt exactly the same way about Cutting For Stone! That was a perfect book review. Also - I'm so sorry about your baby Jays.
    Karin
    Lifeinsmallchunks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your planters are very nice! Happy reading...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you found my blog! I'm now following you and I see a lot of my friends here! How nice is that? I'm still gardening. I decided to lengthen and widen a flower bed . . . added a tomato garden and there are still tons of weeding and mulching to to! I may be finished by the Fall! LOL!!! I chuckled when I saw the fern or fiddlehead photo, that was I cooked last night as a side dish! I hope to post on it tomorrow!

    I've started my summer reading. I've just finished "A Vintage Affair" ~ a very easy read by Isabel Wolff and just before that "Persuasion" by Jane Austen. I haven't decided on my next read as of yet. I've enjoyed my visit today, please stop by anytime, I love company!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete