Monday, June 20, 2011

The Domino Effect

You know how much I love quotes.   I had a fabulous quote for yesterday, Father's Day.  I was going to post it along with a picture of the sweet card my daughter sent her Daddy.

"I believe that what we become depends on what our father's teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us.  We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.  -- Umberto Eco.



While I was collecting my thoughts,  and thinking about how I would work it all into my Sunday post, my husband opened his perfectly wrapped Father's Day present, while talking with our daughter on skype.

Roger is a gourmet cook, so she gave him the absolute perfect gift.

 

Five wonderful spice combinations from his favorite spice shop, Penzey's Spices.  

These five little bottles disrupted my complete train of thought and totally set my day in a complete different direction than planned.  You see, we have two cabinets filled with spices and spice combinations, and they have become a little, well... a little untidy.   Rearranging and reorganizing these shelves has been on my todo list for awhile.  These five little bottles pushed me over the edge.

Within minutes my kitchen counter looked a little like this, only worse.


Yes, I opened another can of worms. (I've become so good at this.)

 To reorganize the spices....and oils.....and vinegars, I also needed to include the larger pantry to the list, as well as a couple of other cabinets.  (I would show the picture, but it is really unsettling).
Yes, we had a full blown case of "the domino effect" on our hands.
.  
Once everything was cleared out and "stuff" was spilling out into the den and the laundry room,  we discussed how best to tackle my mess.  This job definitely called for a trip to 
Home Depot (1 bag and a shelf to add to the pantry) and 


(three very full bags).

I am not put back together yet.  
I'll post pictures when I am finished.  

Have a terrific Monday.
You know where to find me. 

How many bottles of apple cider vinegar do we really need?  I seems three!
I've really got to start making a grocery list.  
I'm sure there is an "app" for that!
   


6 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    We have so enjoyed reading this highly amusing post which, of course, contains so many truths. Indeed, once one small thing needs to be rearranged or replaced, before one knows where one is one is in to a full scale operation requiring all manner of sorting and logistics to complete.

    And now we have strayed from our original thought which was to say how apt is the Umberto Eco quotation at the start of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at the end - because while making dinner tonight I thought "how can I be totally out of apple cider vinegar?!" (I substituted red wine vinegar - next time I'll just come borrow some from you!) I can't wait to see your pantry all organized. Organized pantries and cabinets make me happy (not that you'd know that looking at mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooo funny, i have kinda been doing the same thing. i have so many cabinets i decided to do one every day. pictures before, pictures after....don't ask how that's been going!!!

    but i am an organizer and kinda of enjoy these types of projects.

    love the quote and the card...looks homemade, the best kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera -- you are more than welcome to borrow the apple cider vinegar.

    Debbie -- I love things organized, but I am not an organizer by nature. Explains why I let things get out of hand. ha!ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always end up having 3 or 4 bottles of sage in my spice cupboard....It seems every Thanksgiving, I think I need to buy some just in case I don't have any...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there!! In fact, I am notorious for starting projects at the very worse time. What a nice gift. I love Penzey's! There are none in the Chicago area. Our closest one is Indianapolis and/or Appleton, WI. I also love the Container Store.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete