Monday, June 6, 2011

98 Degrees and a Little Backyard Drama

It is early June and the forecast is already threatening triple digit temps. 
There is still so much I want to do outside, so I try to get out early in the morning while it is still in the mid 70s.  Oh my, did I really say that?

This morning I headed outside to fill a container I picked up at an estate sale this weekend.  I am still trying to find spots for the treasures I brought home from St. Louis.  I arranged and rearranged and finally settled on this grouping.   




 After placing the last plant and filling the gaps with dirt I headed over to the water spigot to turn on the water to give the freshly planted pot a little drink.  I was looking around for the end of the hose with the nozzle while reaching behind to turn on the faucet.  Suddenly there was unbelievable screeching... oh my,


a baby Blue Jay!  Honestly, I don't think I would have jumped further had it been a snake. ( I've actually found three snakes so far this season.) The baby continued to  scream, the backyard erupted with commotion and out of the corner of my eye I saw


another baby


a fretful mamma and


a watchful daddy.

Everyone stayed pretty calm after our initial introduction.  I think they realized I was no threat and actually allowed me to get fairly close for a photo shoot.




One of the babies has its tail feathers and can fly a little to get out of harms way.   The other is obviously the younger. and hasn't developed her tail feathers.  She jumps, but can't fly to the lowest branch yet.  It is the one I am most concerned about.

 For the next few days Mr. Willie


will be on the leash.
Sorry sweet boy, the backyard is a no kill zone.

7 comments:

  1. Those bird photos are so adorable! What a blessing to find them in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bonnie....i love the way you arranged the potted plant, it looks marvelous!!!

    so many baby birds all about....these are so precious and a tad (dare i say it) "ugly"!!

    i have seen soooo many baby birds recently, it must have been an active mating season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bonnie:
    Your container planting looks very effective. We do so hope that it will be able to withstand such searing temperatures.

    The Blue Jay Family is absolutely adorable. They obviously feel quite at home with you and no doubt their antics will keep you amused for hours.

    We have discovered you via Rosemary and have enjoyed reading this and previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to see the bird family. Nothing gives me such a thrill as seeing wildlife in my yard (or anywhere really). I had to save a baby robin last year that fell down the window well. The mother was frantic and bringing food to the baby who couldn't get out. I finally used a net and just scooped the little guy out and as far as I know, they lived happily ever after.

    Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have baby birds in your yard! Your photos are amazing! Your potted plant looks lovely, enjoy those mornings - I try to sit on my porch and have my coffee before everything heats up; going to be a heat wave this week. Love visiting your blog. Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet family!!! Love the babies! It won't be long before they are on their way.
    Stay cool and enjoy this lovely day, Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a coincidence! We were watching several adult jays today and mentioned how we never see their offspring............and here you are sharing delightful pics of the tiny babes in your garden! Thanks so much Bonnie - hope they will stay safe and soon be flying.

    Happy weekend - Mary

    ReplyDelete