Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Perfect Berry Solution

"If we can't, as artists, improve on real life, we should put down our pencils and go bake bread." 
-Barbara Kingsolver



Tonight I seemed to have a huge container of blueberries
on hand needing to be eaten.
I just couldn't imagine  allowing them to spoil,
so I gathered together a few staples




and my secret ingredient (sh,h,h!)

(nutmeg)
I pulled out a little cookbook 
I found in my Christmas stocking
way too many years ago.


And, stirred up 

The Berriest Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups blueberries (mash 1/2 cup with fork)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 F.   Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cups.
In a medium-size bowl, beat butter until creamy.
Beat in sugar until pale and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Beat in vanilla, baking powder, and salt.
Mix mashed berries into batter.

Fold in half the flour with a spatula, then half the milk.
Add remaining flour and milk.
Fold in remaining blueberries.

Scoop batter into muffin cups.
Sprinkle with nutmeg sugar.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let muffins cool at least 30 minutes in the pan
before removing.


They will be waiting in the freezer for whomever
wants a bite of blueberry heaven.
The perfect  solution!

Bon Appetit!


10 comments:

  1. you are baking, a lot and i am enjoying it in a virtual kinda way!!!

    those muffins look awesome, i think they may be in my future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    This may come as something of a surprise to an American such as yourself, but until a few years ago blueberries were not generally available in the UK and certainly, when we were children, they were unheard of. Even today, in Hungary, they are not widely seen for sale.

    Enjoy the muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same little muffin book. The muffins look delicious. So far, we've just been eating the berries fresh but I need to start using them in desserts and freeze some for when the winter winds blow.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...those muffins look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this again!

    Debbie, I love to bake. I seldom have the time. I am not a big bread or sweet eater either....sad for someone who loves to sift and stir.

    Jane and Lance, I didn't know. They have only become reasonably affordable here in the last ten years, maybe. I only buy them seasonally and locally. Summer treasures!

    Bonnie, I love, love, love this little book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, they are tasty and not too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look yummy! I want to eat the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh now I'm craving blueberry muffins!!! They look so yummy too.... I'm going to save your recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I am just responding.

    Lana and Heather thank you so much! I just got back into town and I am looking forward to one tomorrow morning for breakfast.

    Anonymous -- Thank you so much for your concern. I do not have an egg allergy and I buy eggs from local farmers who raise chickens ethically. Just a note, I welcome all comments, however I will never checkout a link offered by someone who will not identify themselves, and I do not know who they might be. Again thanks for your concern.

    ReplyDelete