Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July Musings




The nest here at "Living Life" has been empty for several years.  How many years depends on how you look at it.  Are you an empty nester when your child goes away to a university?  Or does it begin once she is married and is "feathering her own nest"?  Well, either way, it has been the two us for few years.

Out of all of life's experiences, "the empty nest" has been the most difficult.  (As I have said before, there has been nothing I have enjoyed more and had more fun doing than being a wife and momma.)  Oh, on a day to day basis we do really well .  We get caught up in our own daily schedules and plod along (I can't imagine doing it with anyone other than the other half of "we").   I avoid questions about when we will get to see our daughter again, when I know it will be awhile; it just hurts to talk about.  It is usually just small talk anyway.  

It is holidays such as today that we really realize most our house is empty.  We would love to be in the kitchen cooking up a 4th of July backyard barbecue, or putting together a picnic basket full to take somewhere to lay back and enjoy with our children.  


Oh well, enough blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... I have no reason to be so melancholy...we are so lucky.  We have a fabulous daughter and a wonderful son-in-law who are working really hard.  They do not live close enough to join us for a backyard cookout, but they are not that far away either.  

Today, as we celebrate our nations birthday,  our children are only six hours or a phone call away.  There are far to many mothers and fathers who can only look a picture and pray for the safety of their children.  These children are fighting for the freedoms of others in foreign lands.   

Tonight I will give thanks for my family and that my children are safe.   I will give thanks  that I live in a country that is free.  And, I will give thanks for the men and women who fight for others and for the parents who anxiously await their children's return to the nest.  I will pray for their safety.


Happy 4th of July....I pray we never forget the price paid to get us here.


7 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. What a loving tribute to your daughter and her family. I hope it won't be too terribly long before you're together again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly relate to your post. We have a son on each coast. We are in the middle. No matter how often we see them, it isn't often enough. I miss them all the time but holidays are especially hard without them. Happy memories are close.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't have anything that could possibly top or add to these perfect words.

    My boys are here in town but are spending the day elsewhere - I just hope they think of us and are having fun.

    Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post. I pretty much totally keep my mind from ever going into "empty nest" land, except to casually say something like "some day we'll get nice furniture" because the thought totally freaks me out. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not looking forward to my kids being gone. They are all still in college and it doesn't feel permanent yet. Lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a thoughtful post Bonnie, it is from the heart and I heard every word. There is a message in there not only for mothers who miss their children but also for sons and daughters who have not been in touch, thank you for reminding me. I hope you are able to see your daughter very soon. I can so appreciate what you are feeling.

    Best wishes Bonnie..

    Jeanne xxx

    ReplyDelete