Friday, June 1, 2012

Thoughts From the Island...

“People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having your own opinion.” 
...Anne Frank


A few weeks ago I was relating a tale to my husband.  You know the  "she said this and I said that" sort of story.  Nothing ugly was said, but there were some sharp remarks laughingly made in jest.  He laughed at my story and said, "I like how you have aged.  You are beginning to say whats on your mind."  


This is probably true.  I have through the years held my tongue on most things.  In my defense though there is not a lot of "stuff" out there that warrants my opinion.  And, there are so many who feel  strongly about almost everything, it is just not worth my time to add my thoughts to the argument.  I suppose one could say I usually try to fly under the radar and mind my own business.  Usually when I say "I don't care"  I really don't care. 


Well, I've had a few days off and I've been thinking.   My 50something thinking can make about as much sense as my 5 year old thinking.  So hold on to your hats and let's see.


Thoughts From the Island... will be an occasional editorial, personal opinion or thought on something that has recently crossed my computer screen, jumped out at me in the newspaper or just been discussed ad nauseam during the week.  Sometimes it will be silly; other times it may be something that I am struggling to understand myself.  Seldom( do I dare say never?) will it be political.  I am neither  liberal nor  conservative, I'm a "I want to hear both sides of the story"  kind of person.   I have no background to give an opinion other than I have one.


I hope to end each of the "Thoughts From the Island...."  with something fun.  Today it is a recipe.


I hope you stay with me and I most certainly invite you to weigh in.
       
* * * * * *


The story catching my attention, streaming on the news, this week is about an eight year old receiving a "Catastrophe Award" for most excuses for not turning in homework.   As a teacher I was pulled to the story.  I will say upfront, I board this train wreck from both sides...parent and teacher.   I was most interested in everyone's comments.  Wow, everyone seemed to have an opinion on this one.   I wonder just how much thought actually went into their comments.


Catastrophe Award


Anyway, the child's mother was upset when her daughter brought home the "CATastrophe Award award.  She took it to the school administration who failed,  rightly so,  to respond the way she had hoped.  The mother then took it to the media.  After all, when we do not get our way we go to the media for our fifteen minutes of fame or  in hopes of a nice little lawsuit.  May I say here... what was she thinking?


Bless her, I am sure when this mother contacted her local news station she had no clue she would end up being the villain in this short story.  And, most of what has been said is probably deserved.  Ideally, educating a child takes a team.  The key to the team is communication and supporting one another.  I do wonder though, how anyone who has so openly criticized this mother would feel had it been their child who received such an award.  I think we are so quick to say "she should have known her child was not turning in her homework...."    And, my first knee-jerk reaction was the same. 


Awards at the end of the school year became popular many years ago in some schools.  My own personal child came home with them.  Each one was fun and esteem building.    As a parent we think, "oh isn't that sweet".  As I teacher, I think they are hurt feelings and angry parents just waiting to take center stage.  If we give nonacademic awards they should be benign.  We need to think about the purpose of the award.  It is far too late at the end of the school year to make either an academic or disciplinary  statement. 


I wonder did every child receive a "CATastrophe Award"?  If so, this discussion just needs to be taken off the table.  If, in fact,  this child was the only one to receive it?  Well....


I would almost bet money the CATastrophe (I don't understand capitalizing CAT?)  Award was more for the parent's benefit than the child's.  Had the teacher tried to communicate with the mother about the homework problem?  Was it discussed in parent/teacher conferences?  I suspect the teacher tried her best to solicit the mother's help without  response.  The child's homework assignments were, by the mother's own admission, left up to those directing an after school program.  Is the teacher acting out of frustration?  Seriously,  did the teacher not think this was going to come back to bite her/him?


Had this been a high school student, I think it would have been looked at in the  "tongue in cheek" event it might have been meant to be;  everyone would have had a good laugh.  The parents probably would have been left out of the loop altogether.  However, we are talking about an eight year old, who probably didn't have much academic support at home.


No matter, it is my opinion no one (mother, teacher, media)  acted in the best interest of the child.  And, shame on them all!


By the way, when is the last time someone went to the local news station and expressed thanks for something a teacher has done, unsolicited?  I suspect it would not be found to be "newsworthy".  What do you think?


*****
As your reward for plowing through my "unsolicited" opinion I am sharing a "thumbs up" award for a wonderfully refreshing pasta supper.  I made this last night for Roger's homecoming and it was amazingly fresh tasting.  I seldom allow myself pasta, but this was worth every non-metabolizing carb/calorie.  (We walked the dogs after supper.) 


I followed a recipe from the June issue of "Coastal Living" as inspiration.  This one will be going to the beach with me!




Fresh Pasta and Zucchini
(2 servings)


2 small to medium zucchini
1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint (about 4 large leaves)
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Zest from one lemon
Juice from one lemon
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fettuccine (enough for two servings)
a nice handful of pine nuts, toasted
(okay, you know I never measure anything and I cut the recipe so these are guesstimates.


Boil pasta according to package instructions.  


Cut zucchini into thin strips with a vegetable peeler; set aside.


Combine mint, feta, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and salt in a small bowl and allow to rest.


Add zucchini strip to the boiling pasta during the last minute of boiling time.  Drain and transfer to serving bowl.


Stir in mint mixture, gently tossing to combine.

bon appétit' 


*****




















20 comments:

  1. A beautifully expressed and presented piece, Bpnnie, with intriguing questions. I LOVE hearing you put this together. It gives me a sense of your benign sensitivity. Please, don't shut-up, but continue offering your point of view in your 'Thoughts from the Island'. Me too, I tend to keep my opinions in the back seat, and, like you, it's often because I either don't have an opinion, or I feel an opinion isn't really needed, or I'm looking for a greater balance. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must admit when I wrote this piece I was not quite sure how it would be accepted. Which is why I usually keep my mouth shut. Thanks again! Bonnie

      Delete
  2. My first real "boss" was a wonderful lady who ran her husband's engineering firm. Many saw her as a dragon lady, but I was in awe of her. She said exactly what she thought, when she thought it. Am sure she hurt way too many feelings along the way, but i spent much of my life admiring her for not ducking under the radar ... as i have always done. at one point i did a 180 and said everything with absolutely no filter, and found that did not work! eventually, tho, i tried to reach a happy in-between. i finally realized that is it not always WHAT you say, but HOW and i learned to "package" a bit better. it is liberating! glad you are joining the group. i think it takes us southern women a while to learn to speak up!

    now, however, i am wondering ... is your island a lovely foot-shaped one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Webb, Thank you! A few years ago I was told one of the things dislikable about southern women was their passive aggressiveness. I assured them we were not passive aggressive, we just knew how to gently let someone know the errors of their way and back away gracefully and without embarrassment.

      My island does not have feet. Oh that would be wonderful. I need to take a picture and post it sometime. Thank you! Bonnie

      Delete
    2. Ladies, I don't understand the foot reference. Can you please explain?
      Sue

      Delete
    3. Sue, I think she is talking about the shape of my island. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I'm home and catching up. You have a good idea here and I'm looking forward to joining in. Since declaring myself (almost) news free on our vacation, I had not heard of this terrible award. I'm hoping it wasn't presented onstage!! I come from a long-line of outspoken southern women and haven't let them down. I have learned to temper my opinions (unless I'm with my sisters) in most matters.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Growing up strong opinions were not encouraged. To speak out was almost considered anarchy. With age I am finding both courage and my voice. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. I, unfortunately, have expressed my opinion too much in the past. As I have aged though, my passion has ebbed, and I have found a more middle ground and moderate way of thinking. I no longer listen to the local news as it is usually about man's inhumanity to man and does me no good to hear. The cruelty that surrounds us is difficult to understand (as is the case with this CATastrophe award), but is there and is punctuated more so by the media. My heart goes out to that child whose "award" now has gone public.

    I love your idea of putting yourself out there a little more and look forward to reading More Thoughts from the Island. BTW, your pasta recipe sounds wonderful and I have already printed it out and will try it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, I always love to read what you have to say, because I believe you always "tell like it is". Yes, in the instance of the award, the child was a victim on so many different levels. I hope you enjoy the dish, it was yummy....and so easy! Bonnie

      Delete
  5. This is a thought-provoking piece. As a parent and an educator I feel for both parties. But jumping immediately to media attention never gets a well-thought out response, just a "control the damage" response.

    Now that I'm in my 50s I'm a little more outspoken than I once was. Perhaps it's because I'm more certain of who I am.

    I look forward to more "Thoughts from the Island."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, Thank you so much for you response. Possibly becoming more confident is one of the upsides of this aging process. I look forward to becoming better acquainted. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. WoW...that was a long read, but i was so captivated by your wonderful story!! i had not hear this one, shame on me, i rarely know whats going on. i've been guided by some very strong woman, who told it like it was and i grew stronger because of that influence. we didn't all get trophies and some of us failed. i was always held accountable for my actions....life was different. my mom supported my teachers, my coaches and my girl scout leaders. i got a badge if i earned it!!

    i think this could/should be handled differently but i have a gentle voice and have learned through life that it is more important to be kind then it is to be right.

    i look forward to more and pass the pasta PLEASE...i'm starving now!!

    ps.....chuck said something about a 6 year old writing a note to his teacher, from his mother, in finger paint!! perhaps an excuse for not doing some homework!! anywho, lot's of hoopla' there and i thought wow, what a creative kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. crap....i forgot to say i love the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bonnie, this is so interesting. I am trying to move in the opposite direction to you as I grow older, from opinionated loudmouth to a more measured silence. I still feel pretty sure about things but by and large try to keep my thoughts to myself.
    I do think that both teacher and mother were in the wrong, neither of them helping the child in any positive way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, It is always good to hear from you. I think being opinionated can be a good thing. I still pretty much censor myself. Yes, my heart aches for the little girl. I think we sometimes forget 8 year olds are still small children. Thanks for your input. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. I'm glad someone finally spoke about this story from a teacher's point of view. While I do not think the award was appropriate for a young child, and not in keeping with building self-esteem, I have to wonder was the mother previously informed that homework was not always being completed? We all lead busy lives, but homework should be checked daily by the parent. I can understand the mother being angry, but I think this was blown well out of proportion, and to go to the news media is just ridiculous! That has to be even more embarrassing for this child. I don't think the teacher meant to humiliate, I think it was done in a vein of humor, but proved to be in poor taste. Better communication should have gone on between everyone, and the principal should have taken care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard about this story but can see both sides. What I liked best was your last comment. I always try to send a thank you note to the great teachers at the end of the year, but I've never called the media!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, Thank you! I always appreciate notes from my parents. Teachers would never expect the attention. Hope you have a great week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like an awesome recipe - simple too...have all the ingredients in my garden and I can't wait to try it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete