Monday, June 11, 2012

Thank you!

Thank you for the comments on my previous post.   It was a piece I wrote spontaneously after hearing of Cathy's death.  I thought of deleting it, but felt I needed to put a small part her story down in writing.  She is an extraordinary example of character and courage.  Thank you for allowing me to share.



I've fallen behind once again.  Over a month ago Julie at Monkey Grass Hill introduced Living Life on her blog with the 
Pinned Image
So much was going on I am not for sure I ever gave her a proper thank you.

This recognition is given to those of us who have a following of less than 200...
or is it 150?

When I began this journey I never imagined I would have a large following.  I am always amazed and flattered when a new face appears on my "followers" line.  I am having the best time meeting and getting to know people from around the world.  You continually educate, entertain and inspire me.   I love receiving your comments and equally enjoy commenting on your pages.

Julie, thank you!

AND...

Heidi at HH Photography has challenged me to give you five random unknown facts about myself.  I must say I am having a difficult time with this one.  I would love to have some jaw dropping secrets to reveal, but I am pretty much one of those "what you see is what you get" girls.  Being always up for a challenge I will try to surprise and amaze you...ha!ha!

...  I was (and still am to a degree) painfully shy as a child and young adult.  To many's surprise it is a battle I still fight daily.  

... I have incredibly curly hair.  We are talking, "Little Orphanie Annie" curly.  I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.  I would post a picture, but remember, I'm a little shy (actually I don't have a picture of it at it's curliest).

... I am a chameleon.  I change and adapt to my surroundings often without being aware.  I can become so caught up in a book I will begin using language patterns spoken in my readings.  Several years ago I began reading Lee Smith's novels set in the Appalachian mountains.   It was during a conversation with a friend I realized I had actually adopted Appalachian English.  Oh, my I am presently reading Faulkner.

... I have always wanted to name my little piece of property.   I am thinking "Weeping Maple".  Does that sound a bit morose?  I gather Japanese maple "starts" from underneath my fully matured trees each spring and pot them.  I put them in planters;  I have several in my yard, and I freely give them away.   I am serious...I have handed them out to my plumber, my air conditioner service man, a landscaper and to many friends.  These trees will never mature the same as a nursery purchased maple.  They bend a little like a Weeping Willow.  I have named them Weeping Maples.  How does "Living Life at Weeping Maple" sound.   Am I reading too much?



...  I do not have a "bucket list".  While I love making lists and understand the concept, there is always something new and unexpected around the next turn I am most certain I will want to experience.  I have dreams of visiting Wales (I'm Welsh), but I may find myself in Argentina instead.


Thank you both Julie and Heidi for highlighting "Living Life".  I am loving this ride.


26 comments:

  1. I found your words lifting and rich . . . touching, kind, gentle. I love your giving gifts of your Maple . . .
    Very "real" like the Skin Horse reference in the Velveteen Rabbit . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Thank you so much. The Velveteen Rabbit is one of my favorite children's books, although I think it a story for all ages. Enjoy your week. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. I am glad to read that you don't have a bucket list. I view lists like this as a race against the inevitable. I have been rushing and dancing as fast as I can all my life, and at this point all I want to do I sit awhile and smell the roses. I will leave it to others to play beat the clock, me, I wear no watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, You make a very good point. Since turning fifty I find pleasure in slowing down and being more aware of what is around me. I love to happen upon something unexpected. Its funny...I do wear a watch, but I use my cell phone to check the time. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. Hi Bonnie!

    I`ve always wanted to name my ``bricks and mortar`` too!

    s
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I would love to know what you would name your bungalow. Have a great week. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. So much in this post! First, I'm glad you decided to post about Cathy. You both obviously made an impression in each other's lives and I think it's beautiful that you shared what a wonderful woman she was. Even in death she can be an inspiration.
    Second, I LOVE the name Living Life at Weeping Maple. I hope to see it changed on your header soon. :) Mine's boring, but I always refer to my home as the yellow house, even when I'm talking to family and friends.
    And I love your comment about being a chameleon. Please do a video in your best Faulkner language! Sometimes when I come home from church, my husband calls me the preacher's wife...he says I speak in sermon for the rest of the day. :)

    I want to thank you for the lovely comment you left for me today. I'm enjoying this ride too because of beautiful people like you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Yellow House. When I did research on the tradition of naming a house. It said the name should be something characteristic to the house or property. So, there you go....The Yellow House. I have you in my heart! Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Hello Bonnie:
    This post is so incredibly multi-layered, just as life at times can be so demanding on so many different levels all at once. You pose some challenges here and give us a taste of this complex woman behind the computer screen who never fails to delight her readers with her beautiful images and carefully considered words.

    You, dearest Bonnie, make the Blogosphere a richer place for your presence. Your tribute to Cathy was moving without being overly sentimental. We are certain that she would have been delighted by what you wrote and, even surer, that her life must have made a lasting impression on all those who were privileged to know her.

    Weeping Maple has a haunting note to it, but is somewhat too sad for us. We rather think of you as Living Life with Maple Syrup.....sweet and absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am sincerely flattered. Thank you! I hope I never disappoint. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to know a little more about you my friend. When I started my blog, it never crossed my mind that I'd be saying that to anyone. I never really expected anyone, other than family and close friends, to read my posts. When my DIL pointed out that I had 11 friends, I was dumbfounded!! I name my cars but not my house (so far). I like Weeping Maple. It doesn't sound sad to me. It sounds southern--where my heart will always be.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And southern we are. Yes, I once named my car as well. My husband never really understood it so it was one of those things that fell by the wayside. It is amazing how connected I feel here. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. This is a fabulous post and so interesting. I adore learning more about you. I love that you adopt the language of the books you read. I have to watch myself at times as I will do that when talking with people with accents.

    Your maples are absolutely beautiful! I like Weeping Maple...it sounds mystical and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I change with the wind. If I watch a movie, travel, read a book I change. Someone told me it was because I was a child of a military man. We had to adapt to our surroundings. I don't know. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. I like "Weeping Maple", it does not seem morose to me. Your chameleon properties are interesting to me, I find myself doing the same thing with characters in "historical" movies.. I always thought I was so weird for that... but I guess there are two of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, It sounds like are several chameleons here. Thank you for joining me here at Living Life. I have so enjoyed visiting you over Hopalong Hollow (I hope I spelled it correctly). Bonnie

      Delete
  9. I always like learning a little more about the people who write blogs. And glad to hear about the "chameleon" persona - I'm the same way. My family always knows if my British friend is on the phone by the way I adapt my accent and language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lorrie, Many years ago I had the privilege of spending a few weeks in England. Most of our time was spent in Oxford. After several days my husband remarked "You've been here too long". I was feeling and acting quite at home. As I said above, it seems like we are in good company. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kinda like the name you came up with. I name my cars, but I never thought about my property. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, Thank you. It seems several name their cars. I have become attached to a couple of my rides. Thanks for visiting. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. congrats on your award...it is nice to be recognized by fellow bloggers!! and this post is interesting because it is interesting to know more about fellow bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie -- Thank you! As you said it is always nice to receive attention from others. I am afraid I have so few secrets to share. Bonnie

      Delete
  13. A wonderful entry Bonnie, you are full of surprises!! I have a lot of things I want to say, I hope I remember all of them!!! The post about your neighbor was one of my favorites, I am so glad you did not delete it.

    I know your hair is curly, but shy really surprised me.

    I live on a long winding river. When I started my blog, I was going to name it The Winding Way To Live or Life Along The River. I never named my spot, next time I am going to.

    I adore the garden pictures and I have a long bucket list. Half down, half to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I love reading about your accomplishments. The hot-air balloon ride was a huge one. I am just rather ADD. I just find something new everyday. Bonnie

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your awards. I loved how you fall into the patterns of speech of books you are reading. What a compliment to the author, that you immerse yourself so fully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too constantly share my seeds and excess plants! If we enjoy them so much, it is fun to share the wealth! Since my time has not been spent reading, I do enjoy reading about books that you have read and reccommend. One day, I will get to all of them and I keep a list of books that sound interesting to read! Just as I keep a list of things I want to knit and sew...right now, I am a busy MAMA ~ but it won't always be that way......

    ReplyDelete