Friday, June 8, 2012

In Memoriam



This next week Roger and I have two funerals to attend.  One memorial will be attended by family, friends and most likely national dignitaries.  One will be attended by family, friends and at least one acquaintance.

Moments ago I received an email notifying members of my Parish of a parishioners death.  When I read the name my heart sank.  I have dreaded, but expected this notification for many years.  There are no words to tell you how much I have admired this woman.  I know her only because many years ago her child attended the day school where I teach.    It might seem odd to some to find out how much I thought of her; we were never more than acquaintances.  She was not wealthy.  She did not hold a position of power.  I admired her because she was a kind and good person, and she took her job as a parent seriously.

I remember sitting on the playground with her one afternoon talking about her daughter.   I told her I had missed seeing her child the day before and ask if she had been sick.  She told me no she had kept her home because she had gotten in trouble at school.   She explained she felt like school was a privilege and if you misbehave you lose the privilege.  She took off from her job to keep her child home because she had made a bad decision the previous day.

While attending the day school she became an active member of the church parish.  I would see her occasionally on Sunday and at various church functions.  We were in different circles, on different committees.  She had a young child, I a merging teenager.  We always spoke and ask about each others child.  We were acquaintances.

Many years ago she was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.  I tried to keep up with her.   It didn't look good.  She fought and prevailed.  All seemed well until the disease returned.  I wish that I could say I visited or took food, but I did not.  I sent the occasional card, I kept up with her through other acquaintances and she has been on my prayer list for years.

Through the years of her illness I would look for her at Christmas Eve Mass and at Easter.  I always made my way to her or she to me, we would always embrace.  We would talk of her tests, treatments or surgeries.  I always felt it important to listen.  More often than not she would tell me things were looking good.  One Christmas as we hugged I ask her how she was doing.   I felt she was holding on for dear life.  She whispered in my ear, "I am here again this year".  I remember saying "this is good" the tears flooding my eyes;  I held on until she was ready to stand alone again.

The last time I saw her was a few years ago at a Church fundraiser.  As I walked by a table I felt a hand grasp my arm, I turned and saw her smile.  She hugged me.  She said she had been looking for me.  She just wanted to say hi and tell me she loved me, but she was sorry she was having a hard time remembering my name.   I told her my name.  I also told her names are not always that important and that I loved her too.  I sat with her for awhile and we chatted.  She held my hand.  I looked for her this Easter.

Today I am sad.   I am sad we've lost a person who lived her life the best way she knew and took responsibility for what was hers.  She gave her child a loving home and taught her things are not a given but are earned.  I am sad she had to spend so many years of her life fighting.  I am sad there is a young woman who is now without a mother who loved her so dearly she refused to give up until there was nothing left to do.

Her battles are over.  She is now at rest.  And I am a stronger person for having made her acquaintance.






20 comments:

  1. Bonnie, this is a touching story. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes all we need is a good listener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful, heartfelt tribute. what a gentle, kind friend you were!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-said, Bonnie. You've been sensitive, and avoided false sentiment. I pray your friend is free of her pains now. I'm sure that for whatever suffering we endure nobly in this world, we're rewarded in blessed proportion.
    I really do hope we hear much more of what goes on in your world, and of your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie:
    This, in itself, is a wonderful tribute to a very brave, generous and kind woman. If we are fortunate, as you have been here, to know such people, however slightly, is to have one's life enriched as surely yours has been through her.

    Take courage this coming week, as she most certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words, as usual, were beautifully written. We could all feel your love and deep compassion for this woman who suffered so long. My condolences to you Bonnie, I know how heavy you heart must be at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These words come from your heart and are a beautiful tribute to a woman who lived life with grace and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing I hate the most about aging is the funerals. Having been on "both sides" I know how much it means to the family that people come to share the experience and say good bye together, so I go ... but I don't have to like it.

    Clearly you brightened this woman's life as much as she did yours, and that's a blessing. Now you also have the opportunity to put a little light into her daughter's life, too. A big responsibility, but surely worth the effort.

    Condolences, and a huge hug. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. a beautiful tribute that has brought me to tears. So wonderful that you always see the good even in a tragic situation. You give me perspective.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry.
    You wrote a beautiful and inspiring tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely and inspiring tribute. Thank you for reminding me that I need to be more aware of what's going on in the lives of acquaintances as well as friends.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have made a lovely tribute to you friend. Cancer is such a horrible illness. I'm sorry she suffered for such a long time.
    You have been a good friend to her.
    Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I am so sorry. I wish that people wouldn't have to suffer so. This is a beautiful story...I'm sure your presence through the years brought her comfort. You are a truly lovely soul and I know it made her stronger knowing you also.

    My prayers are with you this week. She will most certainly know you are there, supporting and sharing with her again.

    I'm sending you all my love and a big hug. xo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully said . . . touching and filled with grace . . . Your friend knew your love . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie...words can't describe how I felt reading your post today. I felt like I was walking by your side on all those occasions...imagining how you each felt. I think we all know someone like that..some who have passed and we wished we could have them for that bit longer. People close to us and those who made a difference however large or small. It sounds like the woman you refer to knew...just what she meant to you and you to her.
    Thinking of you in what I know must be a difficult week for you..
    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG - not many posts can make me tear up, but this one did. I am so, so sorry for your friend and other people who passed recently. I think that young mother was lucky to have known you, as well. It is good that you both were able to express your feelings to each other while she was still alive. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely dedication. The people who touch our lives will never truly be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, this is so heartfelt and beautifully written. I was touched by your feelings about the loss of this woman, and Beth is right, the people who touch our lives will never truly be gone. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful tribute to a lovely woman. Your friendship was also a gift to her, Bonnie. Please remember that. You have given us all a reminder to stop to make someone know we care for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we can all only hope that we leave the kind of impression that this woman made behind when we're gone. That was lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What can I say to that? I have no words. No words.

    ReplyDelete