Sunday, June 3, 2012

More Elusive Than Big Foot

Yes I have been waiting for this guy to appear for sixteen summers.  I've stayed faithful, keeping the ever vigilant eye, never giving up hope.  I have heard rumors they exist over by the creek.


  I've seen photographs.  I've talked to the experts.  I have put out everything they suggested to attract.   


I heard rumors one was seen yesterday by the rose arbor.


I sit quietly, waiting, not wanting to frighten him away....if he truly there.


I find a quiet place to pass the time.


I welcome entertaining companions.


I feed them


I give them drink


and let them hang out with me.


Sometimes scolding.


Seriously?  You are going to do that right over my head? Seriously?



I banish the pups to the sunroom just in case things get a little out of hand.
 I wouldn't want to lose anyone in the excitement.


Please, make yourself at home fellows!
Jeez, everyone is taking advantage.


I become a little distracted.


Maybe a bit disheartened.


And then I hear his voice.


With shaking hands, I slowly turn my camera on and raise it to my eye, hoping he will stay..


I zoom and focus.


And there he is....


My very own, Eastern Bluebird.  
May I start whistling Zip-a-dee-do-dah now?


 It is the small things in life that make me smile.


I hope you find something to smile about this week.

21 comments:

  1. oh, i just did.

    awesome entry, i was hanging on every word and i hadn't a clue. it was a beautiful surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to your wonderful post, I am smiling ear to ear! They are so beautiful and I am so happy that he graced you with his presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your joy. I had never seen one and then two months ago, there they were flying around my yard. In 2010 we set up bluebird houses and although we had lodgers, they were of the wrong species. When we saw this pair in spring, hubby rushed out and put out another box, and voila, the beautiful blues set up residence. For two weeks we watched them fly about gathering material for their nest, and then as quick as they came, they left. Was it something we said?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, We were told our yard too enclosed for bluebirds. When Roger said he was certain he saw one I was in disbelief. There is a male and female. We will see how long they stay now that I am not stalking. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. You had me on the edge of my seat!!!!!

    So beautiful, isn't he?

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I do love to build suspense. Thank you! Bonnie

      Delete
  5. What suspense! However, it was all worth the wait. I think the eastern bluebird is one of the most striking of birds. Such an intense blue. The last one I saw was near Vincinnes, IN--a long way from home for both of us!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, The blue is incredible! And the rusty red breast is vibrant as well. I will now allow them to have some peace. Maybe they will hang around a bit. I can now turn my attention to The Diamond Jubilee. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. How fun!!! :) Truly worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zuzu, He was well worth the Sunday afternoon stake out. I felt very much a PI. ha! ha! Bonnie

      Delete
  7. your pictures are fabulous!! and yea for the bluebird...aren't they just beautiful? we have them in our woods...they keep trying to nest and the sparrows take over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to put up a bluebird house, but have been told my yard is too enclosed. They like open space border with trees for protection.

      Delete
  8. Bonnie, so much better than Bigfoot is Bluebird! May I say that everything else is quite as enchanting, the roses, tree folk and all the lovely blooms. Yes, it is appreciating the little things in life that makes one a happy soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, Thank you so much! I have longed for bluebird to visit. I hope you are having a nice Monday. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. I love this post. How exciting to see that beautiful bird! Definitely worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I am hoping he and his mate hang around for awhile. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. Nothing brings more joy than a blue bird sighting! We are way too urban here ... i never have seen one in the neighborhood! lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the burbs. My back is very enclosed. I am really surprised he finally showed up. I hope to spy him again. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  11. Oh, this posting has made me smile! Really lovely. I've never heard of an Eastern bluebird but those pooches 'taking advantage' made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, those two pups have claimed the chair as their own. It is fortunate it is an old chair in need of recovering. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. Aren't they stunning . . . beautiful photos, words, reflection. In the Garden some magic happens!

    ReplyDelete