Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thoughts From the Island....Perfection

“The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” 
J.M. Barrie


I use the word perfect a lot.  Whenever anyone shows me something...perfect.  When someone answers my question...perfect.  When a child finishes a page in a workbook or cuts out a leaf...perfect.  It has become something others, especially my children, have learned through the years to expect when something is successfully completed.  Several years ago I had a child so observant she would remind me if I became distracted and failed to say...perfect.

Yet we all know nothing is ever perfect.  Being a self-proclaimed perfectionist  I have learned through years of trying, fretting and aging I most often fail and must accept falling somewhere in-between okay and good.   My friends know me well enough to know I can and will agonize excessively over things that turn out a little less than what I expect.    I am learning and trying to accept that some pictures are going to turn out unfocused.


I am not going to catch all my typing and grammatical errors.  So when I reread and find insulted for insulated, or comment for commit (I am totally blaming auto-correct)  you may rest assured I am behind this computer screen wringing my hands wondering if it is too late to edit.  


Flowers cannot all be saved and
well-meaning words do not always come out well-meaning.
That one can keep me up at night.


And, not all peaches are beautifully ripe when you cut them open.

Life is in itself imperfect.

 I had a child this year whom I bonded with mostly because we are both hopeless perfectionist.   I understood his procrastinating, agonizing and disappointment over a mistake.  As a teacher it wasn't difficult for me to talk him through his mistakes even though I knew in my heart the pain he was feeling.

One morning we were working the worksheet in our Weekly Reader.   There were four questions to answer.   The children needed to only write in the first letter of each word.  We had already worked on the letters needed;  I was not concerned.  I asked the question, the children gave me the correct word and the letter.  I turned from writing the letter "b" on the chalkboard to find my friend with his head on the table.  I ask him what was wrong, he wouldn't answer me.  I ask the other children if they knew what was going on.  No one knew.  I knelt down next to him and told him I would like to help, but I couldn't if I didn't know the problem.  He said,  "Miss Bonnie, I wrote the wrong letter.  I wrote  "h" instead of "b".  

After looking at his paper I assured him it actually was not a problem at all.  "Look, at your letter.  You just haven't finished.  It may look like a "h", but if you finish at the bottom you will  have a "b"."    And yes once he finished his "b", I said "perfect".

I am learning it is not about being perfect (though I am sure I have many more fretful times ahead), but learning how to adapt, learn from and finish my many imperfections.   And, I'm still learning the things I need to know in kindergarten (pre-school).

I believe I read somewhere that perfect actually means finished.

With that said....I am perfect!

**********

As promised....
the perfect cake



Peach Upside-Down Cake
(Southern Living)

4 medium peaches (1 12 lbs.), unpeeled and cut into 1/3 inch wedges
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 cup cake flour (I used all purpose)
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
3/4 cup unsalted butter, (room temp. and divided)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I used dark)
1 vanilla bean
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
Sweetened whipped cream (optional, but really good with it)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  (I also lined my iron skillet I baked the cake in with parchment paper.)  Toss peaches with lemon juice.  Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.

Cook 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a 10-inch cast iron skillet  over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, 10 minutes or until sugar melts and turns a deep amber color.  Remove from heat.  Immediately add 1/4 cup butter, stirring vigorously.  Spread caramelized sugar to coat bottom of skillet evenly, and sprinkle with brown sugar.  Arrange peach wedges in concentric circles over sugar mixture, overlapping as needed.

Split vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape out seeds into bowl of a heavy-duty mixer.  Beat vanilla seeds and remaining 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed until smooth.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.  Add sour cream, beating until blended after each addition.  Add sour cream (yogurt) beating until blended.  Gradually add sifted flour mixture, beating at low speed just until blended and stopping to scrape bowl as needed.  Spoon batter over peaches in skillet, and spread to cover.  Place skillet on prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in skillet on a wire rack 10 minutes.  Run a knife around edge to loosen.

Carefully pour out any excess liquid from skillet into a measuring cup, and reserve.  Do be concerned if you do not have any liquid.  (I didn't have any liquid; my peaches were not completely ripened)  Carefully invert cake onto a serving plate and drizzle with any reserved liquid.  Cool slightly.  Cut with serrated knife.

Bon Appetit'













17 comments:

  1. Trying to be perfect and/or good enough is a battle many of us go through every day. Perfect is not real, and if we tried our best, that is all we or anybody else should ask of us.

    Saying that, I also give myself stomach pain over the smallest of small things that I do/make which does not come up to my expectations. Age though has mellowed me, and I don't think I am as bad as I used to be. My family might disagree on that though.

    This was a beautifully written post, Bonnie. As a matter of fact, it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the better I am at letting things go. I haven't yet perfected it though. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post, Bonnie, a well-written reminder that perfection is not attainable on this earth.

    What a great teacher you must be. Your students are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the dilemma, Bonnie. I stretch the definition of 'perfection' in my own world so that it includes imperfections. Only God is perfect, to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are on the same page. Not only is God perfect, it seems he always has my back as I stumble under imperfections.

      Delete
  4. Perfectly said, Bonnie. I seriously loved this from start to finish. And what lucky, lucky students to have you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill I seriously never know where my ramblings might take me. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Often, I won't post because I don't have the photo that is perfect for what I want...it is so hard to get past that bar we set for ourselves..Great post and reminder to try to lower that bar and be realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ttrying to let go of perfection or the perception of perfection is is a most difficult task for me. It is always good to hear from you.

      Delete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    We gave up seeking perfection many, many years ago. It is too exhausting and really achieves very little except to wear one down and be dissatisfied. No, for us, good enough is the order of the day, although one does at times need to bring discipline to the fore to guard against trying to achieve something closer to perfect.

    Whatever, we do feel from our teaching years that it is important to be very positive about the achievements of young people. They are discouraged so easily and mistakes are there to be learned from not to stifle initiative. We are sure that your students adore your positive approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Jane and Lance I am working hard at learning to let go and walking away; it is a most difficult task. Maybe this will prove to one of the positive sides of aging. The only goal I have with with early learners is to give them the love of discovery and learning. Everything else will come. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. strive to be positive, not perfect!!

    i am soooo happy you shared this recipe but it seems like a lot of work.....i am going to try it, it just looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously I know exactly who the little perfectionist is! He misses you so much! Every new exciting thing we come across or adventure we have done the last few weeks he says, "Will you email that picture to Miss Bonnie?" You are always on his mind. Maybe it's because he knows you will say, "That's perfect!"

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to receive pictures of his adventures. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. Cake, blog, your heart, out of focus photo - perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete