Sunday, April 3, 2011

They're Back!


Yes, the oak worms are attacking once again.

In case you have no clue what I am talking about, oak worms are what some  call tassels.   I once called them tassels as well.  When we first moved here someone started talking about the "oak worms"; I thought they were talking about a worm attacking the oak trees.  When I questioned, I am sure you can imagine the humor I brought to the conversation.  Having lived here fifteen years, my vocabulary has adapted.

Oak worms do not attack trees, they attack me.  It seems I am highly allergic to pollen, oak being one of the most offensive.  This year I have been vigilant though.  I've taken my antihistamine every morning hoping maybe it builds up in the system (I'm sure it doesn't).  I wear gloves when working around even the least amount of visible pollen (all the time - I have seven oaks in my backyard) and I never touch my face.  And, I shower as soon as I come in from working in the yard.  I am so on top of it this year!  Do you hear the...sure you are...coming?

Not being one to dwell on feeling a bit under the weather, let's just say...

Pollen 1/Bonnie 0

Without a concern,  I decided to go out last evening to watch the birds come in to feed and bathe.  I didn't even think about the pollen floating in the air, landing on me and attacking in my sleep.  Oh, well... I did get this photo while under siege.


male house finch

I will leave you with this lovely quote and the magic of sunlight.   I'll be browsing garden magazines and dreaming of playing in the dirt another day. 

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-- Roald Dahl





I hope you found a little sun magic this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sorry the pollen has gotten the best of you! Honestly, I don't think you really can be on top of it...it's sneaky and vicious.
    The only reason I like the last frost in April is that I can finally have a clear head!
    Feel better soon!
    beautiful photos too ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your photos of sun magic and hope you find success in staying pollen free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie! Thanks so much for the wonderful comment tonight. To answer your question about the mosaic, I use a template from Mike Warren Photoshop Actions (which you can Google). You do need Photoshop to use it, though.

    We don't have Oaks but lots of Sugar Maples and then will send down a somewhat similar mess later in spring. Sadly, no sun magic here this weekend. Love the finch shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little finches come here in the spring so make a nest in our hanging ferns. The "welcome mat" is out but they haven't arrived yet. Send them on their way please.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses are beautiful! Feel better soon - the garden will wait. Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info...I've never heard of oakworms!

    ReplyDelete