Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Know When to Retreat

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."    -- G.K. Chesterton


I have eagerly been awaiting gardening weather.  I am almost certain I have been patient.  I've tried to be the voice of reason, assuring everyone spring would soon arrive, even when I wanted to beat my fist against the door screaming to get outside to play in the dirt.   I didn't whimper and whine when the temperature dropped from 81 to 48.  I didn't ask why.  Now it seems we have turned the corner, and I, like so many others, am under attack.  

Life is just like that.   At some point in time we all find we are being challenged.   The attacker may be a situation or a person.  It happens when we are most successful or content.  It is beyond our control. We fine ourselves fighting a battle where the odds are against us.   Our attacker is unreasonable, and he always knows how to hurt us.  We know we must fight back to survive.  If we choose allies and weapons wisely we outlast, and if not  defeat, tame our dragon.  And, we are stronger.

My weapons of choice in this fight are pictured above.  Add medication, my vacuum  and send the  mascara on a short vacation (pollen sticks to it); I am armed, because  I still "need" to plant.

newest additions to the garden


 Usually the best weapon is time and to know when to retreat.



I'll just bring the outside in, after thoroughly rinsing, of course.
And, just visit another one of my obsessions for awhile.


Pollen1/Bonnie 2




1 comment:

  1. You're so very right. There's so much to do and we want to be outside and then the Pollen Fairy starts dumping his (clearly this is a male fairy!) on us and we retreat. Hope things clear up soon (or you get a little shower to clean the air) so you can return to a better place to be!

    ReplyDelete