Friday, April 15, 2011

Another Storm


When we headed to bed last evening we were aware storms were on their way.   We were under a tornado warning.   Shortly after 1:30 a.m. I heard the power go out  (I am a very light sleeper).  As soon as the words, "There goes the power" were said,  the sirens began sounding and we each received a call, on our cells,  from a local TV station telling us we were in the path of a suspected tornado.   We jumped out of bed grabbed our clothes, Willie, cell phones, computers and flashlights and headed downstairs to the hall bathroom.    The electricity came on shortly, but U-verse remained out;  we were able to track storms on our cell phones.

As I sat on the floor with Willie in my lap I started thinking of the plants I forgot to put in the garage.  I had left them on the table outside.  I thought of the little bird that made its nest by the playground door at school. Three of the eggs had hatched Wednesday.  I knew there was little protection for her.  I knew my children were scared even if they remembered our reading Thundercake.  I worried about friends who I knew were in the path of the storm I was watching move through our area.  I thought of my god-daughter living by herself, recuperating from a broken hip, suspecting her mother, my dear friend, was driving in the storm trying to get to her. I knew there was nothing I could do but turn it over to a greater power than myself, and I said a silent prayer.

We were back in bed by 3:00 a.m. and surprisingly I didn't have any trouble going back to sleep.

It is with daylight that you discover destruction.  We were not harmed.   Our home seems to be okay, I am sure we will need to have the roof check, but that seems so minor.  If damaged it will be replaced.   

My plants I left out survived.  I lost the beautiful foxgloves that just bloomed this week, but I will collect their seeds and they will come back next year. The "oak worms" seemed to have been blown and washed out of the trees, but again that seems so minor today.   I don't think our baby birds survived even though the mother was still trying to sit on the nest when I left school today.  It broke my heart, I cried for the sweet little mother not understanding what had happened, but still I have to put it into perspective.

Lots of cleanup tomorrow.  And I will do it with a joyful heart.

You see, lives were lost in the early hours of this day.  This storm did not discriminate.  Lives were lost in a house trailer and in a lovely brick home. There was a dad and his baby girl, and a mom and her seven year old son. Another child was also taken.   I don't know the names of any of the deceased, but as I survey what I did not lose during the storm, I must first acknowledge those who lost everything.   I cannot even begin to imagine their lose.

Tomorrow we will go on our way never thinking or hearing again about lives that can never be repaired.   It is the way we survive the knowledge it could have been us.  Even though I do not pretend to understand why, I suppose this is, in some way, our gift for today.

Have a terrific and peaceful week-end!  May you have uninterrupted dreams. 

4 comments:

  1. They were bad, weren't they? I was really surprised school was open when Davis dropped Amelia off this morning - all the other schools in that area didn't have power. You are so right, these tragedies are a reminder for the rest of us to treasure life, and that is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good sense of perspective. I guess the "take away message" is to love those who are important and to give a helping hand to strangers whose lives are touched more heavily than ours. Hope today is the end of this storm, altho it sounds like the Carolinas may feel it this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the sad effects of the storm, but thank goodness you are safe. We can take nothing for granted, not even life itself. Take care. Lana

    ReplyDelete