Monday, July 9, 2012

From the Island...Aging

painting by my daughter
This morning catching up on everyone I spied an ad on the sidebar of a favorite blog about aging.  I will just be honest I usually block advertising out.  Now that I am wearing glasses (this aging thing) most of the time it isn't really that difficult.  The peripheral lens is a little blurred.  Well, for some reason this particular ad still caught my eye.   It was about how bloggers feel about aging.   They threw up a few emotional catch words...uncertain, angry, optimistic.  I think there might have been another, I can't remember.


As the clock ticks away I do think about aging, although I know there is little one can do about it.  The only year I began to dread was my 39th turning to 40.  We had just moved to Northern California, leaving everything we knew and loved for a new adventure.  Each day as the birthday drew nearer I assured myself it was really only a day and nothing would change.  I still remember waking that morning, laying in bed and thinking I felt the same as I did when I went to bed.  I quietly slipped out of bed; I wanted to be the first one to look at me just incase something dreadful had happened overnight.  As I suspiciously looked closely in the mirror, turning from one side to the other,  I came to the realization everything was exactly the same as the night before.  There were no winkles that appeared during my sleep.  My hair had not suddenly turned gray.  I had spent days wasting precious time worrying over something that would not change one thing in my life other than a number.  I had fretted over something I would never be able to control.


With this lesson learned I really try not to worry much about aging.   Don't get me wrong each year brings different frustrations...a few extra wrinkles, waning eyesight, pounds relocating...you get my point.  I just cannot use my time worrying about the passing hours or days.  I have no more control of time than I do of the weather.



I do however get to control how I use each moment given to me.  Rather than bemoaning the things that have passed me by or worrying over things to come, I am learning to take pleasure in and give thanksgiving for the small, the minute things that make me happy...morning solitude, birds splashing around in the birdbaths, hearing my husband coming through the door after being out of town, my lemon tree loaded with lemons.



Yesterday morning, while Roger was making breakfast, I took my coffee outside to look around.  I like to see what is going on in my backyard.  The air seemed a little lighter, the birds were singing, everything seemed a bit happier after our little sprinkle the day before.   When I went back inside my husband said,  "I wish I had been able to give you a kingdom to rule.  You looked so happy just standing there looking around your little backyard.  I could see you as Queen going out and checking on all your lands and subjects."  I had to silently laugh, because I was actually out giving thanks for my little piece of earth and all the little things in it.



It has been over a decade since I woke to look in the mirror at my forty year old face in search of something different.  I no longer worry.  I still have heartaches and things happen that scare me.  There will be things that will trip me and take me to my knees.  When my Dad was first diagnosed with cancer he said,  "This is life, you just have to walk the path put in front of you".  I choose, while walking my path to spend time stopping to look at everything and giving thanks for the small things.  The big things are going to find me.

gift from one of my bluebirds


 Aging?  
No matter the fretting, I can't stop it.
I can't stop bad things from happening.
But I can stop to enjoy each blessed little moment of pleasure.


What little things bring you joy?


Look around I know you will find more.








25 comments:

  1. Realising I'm aging Bonnie has made me gulp - the chances seem to be whittling down. But I know that the chances that come my way will be much more appreciated. That makes me feel that what there may be less of in quantity there may be greater of in quality.
    I don't mind the slowing down of it. I don't mind pausing, of letting things happen instead of feeling I'm in charge of them. And there IS such a thing as experience, and it DOES protect you from the blows of youth. And in some ways, you are far more prepared to be open when you are older, than when you are young and have an image to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faisal, As always, well said. Aging is certainly not for the faint of heart, is it? I think some of it goes back to the old adage, "if I had only known then what I know now". Just as you said it is the quality of each moment. Hopefully we still have many many years of this life in front of us. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my philosophy also. I try to live my life appreciating the here and now and avoiding all the negativity that tries to enter my life. It is always the simple things that give us the most pleasure, that which can't be bought, but rather experienced.

    Bonnie, what a lovely man you picked to be your partner in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, While writing this post I must admit I thought of "Starting Over, Accepting Changes..." more than once. I always look forward to your post. You face the changes we will all meet with humor and such grace.

      Thank you! He really is a good person.

      Delete
  4. You summed it up so beautifully in the last paragraph. I've always felt that every phase of life/age has some benefit that the others don't. I do think I'm happier now than I was when I was younger. I worry about the really later stages of life though-- when I'm not capable of doing everything on my own. I just try not to think about it.

    I love all your gift art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I do believe in being prepared. Right now I want to know I haven't missed the little things that surround us each day. I can become so distracted by the big worries and disappointments that I fail to be witness to the small blessings.

      Delete
  5. This is just beautiful, Bonnie. You have written so well what we all must learn to accept. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. You have read my mind lately as another birthday comes around the bend. Thank you for making me feel not so alone in this aging process and all the 'popcorn' thinking that comes along with it. I just wish my body could still keep up with my mind!!! That part weighs heavy on me. Still working through the limitations that just seem to appear overnight. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle, My mother always said age is only a number. I am fortunate to teach with some amazing women who are ten years older than I who set a wonderful example for aging well. Just being around them is great motivation to keep moving. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I also try to appreciate life's small pleasures. I love my morning walk in the garden with coffee in hand, just like you. The newspaper is ready to be read and the morning promises wonderful possibilities. Just waking up and feeling good is a blessing that I never take for granted. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sunday waking and meeting the morning is truly a blessing in itself. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. Living in the moment has always helped me as I age. I don't know if I have become any wiser, but I know how to appreciate all those "little" things in this life, I always have done so. I try not to worry so much, what will be will be. I have ceased staying angry about things, it is such a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, Anger takes too much energy. Energy I would rather put to doing something positive. It seems to me everyone ends up unhappy most of all the one with the anger. I can see your appreciation for the small details in your delightful illustrations. Enjoy your week. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. oh bonnie, i am a worrier, i worry about lots of things. i would like to stop worring about my weight, but alas, i just can't stop!!

    along with that, i enjoy things. the little things and the big things!! i accept both traits, it's just who i am....

    now pass me some of that breakfast roger made, it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post. I seemed to worry and be bothered more by aging before I became a mom. Ever since having John David, the number getting bigger hasn't bothered me as much. I want ot be more like you though and make time for the little things that make life worth living. That seems to be a hard thing to do at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, You have four little ones to enjoy at the moment. Just breath in every minute with them. Spend the time seeing the wonders through their eyes. You my be exhausted at the end of the day, but you will never be sorry. They grow up in a blink of an eye. It is good to hear from you. Give everyone, especially my hero, a hug! Bonnie

      Delete
  12. It is the little things that bring joy - like a cold drink of water on a hot day, a cuddle with my newest grandbaby, reading a good book.

    Great post, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, Your list sounds wonderful. I do not have grandchildren, however, there is nothing I have enjoyed more than being a Mom. I can only imagine the joy a grand baby brings. Thanks for sharing your small pleasures.

      Delete
  13. Oh, Bonnie, this is such a wonderful post! I just turned 60 and I feel like I'm still in my 20s. Little things truly bring me joy. Bird song, children's laughter, talking with my dad over the phone, holding Hubby's hand... so many things to be happy about!
    Hubby and I were talking about this yesterday. We take a nap when we're tired, go to town when it's least busy, and no longer have to worry about getting to work on time. So 60 is mighty fine! :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuzu, Aging is sometimes underrated. I think the key is to keep the mind, body and spirit active. There is something to be said for experience and knowing when to stop and savor the moment as well. We both still work, but are reasonably flexible which is nice. Thanks for sharing your list. I have so enjoyed the response to this post. Bonnie

      Delete
  14. That was a beautiful post! It sounds to me like you are aging quite gracefully! What more can we want?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh good post. 50 is on my horizon but to be honest, I worried more about turning 30! I think it's true that you get more serene as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A precious post! Yes, 30 was my hard one. I breezed right on through 40 and 50. Such a positive, attitude and what a sweet man you have there! Thanks for all your sweet posts on my blog.

    ReplyDelete