Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Matter of Perspective

I have spent the last week sighing, whimpering and whining about the heat.  I am going to try and hush, because in truth....okay those who know me know what is coming...
it is what it is.


While I am sure I will continue to moan and groan, however,  I am going to try, as a friend puts it, "build that bridge and get over it". 

I had thought we would spend a quiet fourth of July evening at home.  Maybe we would go out for a bit of barbecue, but plans change.  Our good friends called and wanted to go listen to the "Pops on the River" and watch the fireworks.  When I called Roger to see what he thought,  he was in the process of checking into getting tickets to the baseball game.  We would watch a little baseball (how American can you get?) and have perfect seats for the fireworks.  With a few more phone calls our evening was planned.



Our friends came over for cocktails, hor'dourves and pre-baseball conversation.  We left late for the game (it was a bit too hot at 5:30), and ended up not getting to our seats until close to the 7th ending stretch.   We still had time to spend with


our "boys of summer".


When the last ball was thrown and teams exited the field it was time for


for the children to run the bases.  They ran and they ran....all ages and all sizes...until the very last child touched home plate...we thought.

And yet there was one child left...the stadium became silent as a young mother pushed her daughter's wheelchair out onto the field stopping at first base.  She let go and the child began her run.   The crowd exploded.  Everyone stood and began cheering louder than I have ever heard at a sporting event as she pushed off on her own.  She was met at each base with a high five, and as she left third they began sweeping home plate for her arrival. Her mother stood waiting, camera ready.  I thought of snapping a picture, but I was too busy applauding; to be honest, my eyes were a bit misty.

After watching this mother's courage to let go, and the child's determination to make it around the bases, the heat didn't seem quite a big deal.

The stadium lights went out and the field was darkened.


The "1812 Overture" could be heard over the speakers...
the fireworks over the river began.


We had perfect seats!







13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful evening. I've really enjoyed reading this post. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am crying. My heart is swollen with pride for the mother and her daughter. True AMERICAN HEROS. What a pefect way to spend your 4th. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome memory! It's all about our freedoms - both as a nation and personal. Great photos with a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you had one of the most perfect Independence Days I've heard about. What joy that child brought to herself, her mother and all who were in the ballpark! I'm going to think about this fete when I want to whine for a good while to come.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Independence. That's the core value.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a spectacular day and one you shall remember

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear Bonnie,

    You were witness to a great happening, and it was not the game and not the fireworks. You watched pure courage, not something we see every day, but does occur with small steps everywhere.

    Your posts are always wonderful, but you hit the ball right out of the park with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great evening. I love the red white and blue baseball uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...sounds like a wonderful evening...for everyone...good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't think of a better evening! I would have suffered through any heat, rain or storm to be able to see that little girl get around the bases. Things like that really put our lives into perspective, don't they...

    Now keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So festive ~ the only thing missing is "apple pie"! I love the uniforms! And you photographed the fireworks perfectly...not easy to do. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great night you had! Oh I loved the story about the young girl in the wheelchair making it around the field. Lovely photos also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these special moments come, when you least expect them!!

    your fireworks images are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete