Wednesday, July 18, 2012

So Many Books


.
via

 This is how I have been feeling the last week or so.  I want to do nothing more than stick my nose between the pages of a book, enjoy a glass of iced tea and escape the summer temperatures.  When I am not reading I am thinking of my book list and what I will read next.   There is a stack of books by the bed waiting to be revisited,  possibly this summer or possibly not.  Possibly to just be dusted until one night I am seeking an old friend.


I pulled Rebecca after returning from Sweden.  It was on the flight I read Daphne, Justine Picardi, igniting the desire to become reacquainted with Rebecca.  It seems though I should wait for a cold rainy weekend to pick up Daphne Du Maurier's classic of mystery and suspense and once again venture through the doors of Manderley.  It may be a few months.


Cold Comfort Farm found its place in the stack just last week after visiting the only surviving independent bookstore in my area.  I stopped in hoping to find Stella Gibbons's Nightingale Wood.

Nightingale Wood


I was told they didn't have it in stock but they did have a copy of her book Cold Comfort Farm.  I told him I had actually read it a couple of years ago but I would continue to browse.  I love small intimate bookstores, don't you?  The shelves were uncharacteristically sparse giving me cause for a little concern;  not wanting to leave without a purchase I did, in fact, walk out with Cold Comfort Farm (you do understand it was totally in an effort to support a local merchant, don't you?  Oh okay,  it may have slightly been I just couldn't resist the new Peguin cover design.)  to reread at my leisure.




The last book in my stack, Notes from an Italian Garden, I rediscovered while standing in front of a bookshelf one afternoon several weeks ago.  I immediately thought of my good friend who loves gardening and a good gardening book.  I pulled it thinking she might enjoy it.  Upon it's return I placed it by my bedside anticipating a need to reread.  Joan Marble begins her account of developing what she calls "an unpromising piece of land" in January as she discovers and falls in love with Etruria.    I thought it would be nice to read it chronologically beginning in January when I am wanting to be out digging in the dirt.  Maybe next August when I am sweltering and wanting to give up on my own gardens I will appreciate reading her August chapter, Cooling Off in the Greenhouse.  No matter, I am sure I will once again find inspiration and enjoy her gardening adventure.   (The author, Joan Marble Cook died in 2004 at the age of 84 just weeks after her book Notes from a Roman Terrace was released in paperback.  Possibly another book for my list.)

*****


I recently read Beautiful Ruins, Jess Walter.  The story begins in 1962 in a small town on a rocky coastline of Italy.  The young innkeeper, Pasqualle, is trying to build a beach along the cliffside when a beautiful movie actress is unexpectantly delivered to Porto Vergogna (Port of Shame) and to his hotel.  


Beautiful Ruins


"Twenty meters away, Pasquale Tursi watched the arrival of the woman as if in a dream.  Or rather, he would think later, a dream's opposite: a burst of clarity after a lifetime of sleep.  Pasquale straightened and stopped what he was doing, what he was usually doing that spring, trying to construct a beach below his family's empty pensione. "


He soon discovers his newest guest had been in Rome filming the movie "Cleopatra" along the side of  Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor when she became ill and was diagnosed with cancer.  She makes an unexpected detour to Porto Vergogna on her way to Switzerland for a medical treatment arranged by the movie's producer.


The story moves to present day Hollywood as an elderly Italian gentleman arrives at a prominent producer's office in search of a lost love, stirring up old memories and igniting new ambitions.


Filled with colorful and well defined characters we are taken on a riotous and entertaining ride as Jess Walter moves us from past to present allowing us to come to our own conclusion of what is truly beautiful and real in a world made of celluloid and sound bites.

****

I'm presently reading Maria Duenas's The Time in Between.  It's been on my ereader since Sweden.  Desperately wanting something to read late one evening I started browsing my titles; there it was just waiting for me to begin.  I haven't been able to put it down.  I have less than 50 pages remaining....I am definitely feeling the need for a trip to the bookstore or maybe the Library.




If you need me you know where to find me.....between the pages of a book.  Or looking for my next great read.


Do you keep a stack of books nearby to  revisit or collect books in anticipation of desperately needing something to read late at night?

21 comments:

  1. I so wish I had an eclectic interest of books like you do. I am envious. Enjoy each and every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, my only criteria for a good book is that it is well written, has wonderful characters and tells a good story. Books have always been my door to the world I only needed to open the first one.

      Delete
  2. I will save this post, print out a hard copy, add it to the stack of books beside my bed and I will come up for air a few months from now. Notes From An Italian Garden will interest me first. Continue to enjoy your reads and sharing them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I so know the feeling. I add to my list daily. It becomes a bit over whelming at times. I only have a few more weeks to indulge myself. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. oooohhhh bonnie, i adore your passion for reading and your support for the small, local merchant!!

    i know you will enjoy them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thank you! I will be emailing you.

      Delete
  4. You are a woman after my own heart. As a former small bookshop local merchant, how could I not love this article? Keep up the good message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I am humbled...thank you for your kind words and for visiting. As a former bookshop merchant I am sure you could give suggestions to add to my list. I checked to see if you had a blog. I could not find it. Please come back to chat.

      Delete
  5. You are a joy to read. Your enthusiasm inspires me. I am more or less a summer reader and devour books during a three month period. You make me want to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, You are making me blush. Summer is when I have the most free time to read although I seem to always have a book near.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you're enjoying a lovely 'bookish' summer. My holidays start tomorrow and I have a big pile of books waiting for me! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I hope you will share the titles. What is your favorite? I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

      Delete
  7. I really love that pretty little period cut out of the reading girl (is it a cut out?) towards the top of your post. I found many things in that style when clearing out the family home before it was sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I found it on pinterest. I tried to link it back to the original poster. It looks, to me, as if it might be inked onto fabric. I think it would make a lovely pillow. Thanks! Bonnie

      Delete
  8. I love that edition of "Cold Comfort Farm." I don't have a copy and will seek out this one from Penguin. I really enjoyed this post about reading. You have given me lots of good ideas. I also have many books on my night stand. Currently I am rereading "House of Mirth." I am also dipping into "The Weekend" by Peter Cameron and "The Love of My Youth" by Mary Gordon. Three great books, all of which I hope to finish soon. Those books on the nightstand are a comforting sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I always enjoy hearing about the books you are reading and/or planning to read. When in need of new title I always go browse your postings. I will be checking these suggestions as well. My holiday reading time is passing quickly. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for stopping by today and commenting on my Lime Blueberry Jam.

    Yes, I have a small stack of books, they were written by a local librarian and a friend of my neighbors. The titles are, Town in a Blueberry Jam, Town in a Lobster Stew and Town in a Wild Moose Chase the titles are very quaint and they all take place in Maine. I also have Journey to a Dream by Mary T. Lovel, and I started reading the Maisie Dobbs novels (which I adore) Think Nancy Drew grows up and goes to Europe! So that's it, that's my stack!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I love the titles of the books about Maine. They sound very much like great comfort reads. How wonderful the authors are your neighbors and you are familiar with the setting. I agree Maisie Dobbs is Nancy Drew grown up. Thank you for sharing your books with me. Bonnie

      Delete
  10. Oh, I do wish I loved to read. I walk with a group of people every night, and all of them get to talking about which books they are reading, and what they are going to read next. I always feel a little left out, lol. THey all say it is so relaxing. Hope we can all catch a lil break from this heat really soon. We had some pretty rough thunder storms roll thru here yesterday, and more predicted for today. Stay cool and safe, and maybe I will be back on a more regular basis when things slow down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, It is said those who do not enjoy reading haven't found the perfect book. I think we all enjoy different things. That is what makes life interesting. Reading is a wonderful escape at the end of the day. Having a full life is always a good thing; it is always good to hear from you whenever you have time. Bonnie

      Delete
  11. They all sound like wonderful reads, Bonnie! And yes, I have a not-so-small stack of "emergency" books next to my bed and a fairly large stack of to-be reads as well. I would panic without them!

    I share your feelings about our small independant bookstores and make it a point to visit them and make a purchase from time to time. It would be awful if they all went away!

    Happy summer reading!

    ReplyDelete