Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday's Book Notes

“How is it that, a full two centuries after Jane Austen finished her manuscript, we come to the world of Pride and Prejudice and find ourselves transcending customs, strictures, time, mores, to arrive at a place that educates, amuses, and enthralls us? It is a miracle. We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else's mind.” 
Anna Quindlen


Funny Confession Ecard: Book hangover: Inability to start a new book because you're still living in the last book's world.
via
A week or so ago a friend, who reads with the same enthusiasm as I,  posted the above on pinterest. I commented back something to the equivalent....you know this is where I am.

A few afternoons later we met at a bookstore for an iced tea, some chat time and to browse the books.  I had just finished  The Time In Between by the spanish author Maria Duenas.  I confirmed I was suffering with a full fledged (book) hangover.  I touched several books, turned a few pages and left empty handed, all because of

The Time in Between


A typewriter shattered my destiny.  The culprit was a Hispano-Olivetti, and for weeks, a store window kept it from me.  Looking back now,  from the vantage point of the years gone by, it's hard to believe a simple mechanical object could have the power to divert the course of an entire life in just four short days, to pulverize the intricate plans on which it was built.  And yet that is how it was, and there was nothing I could have done to stop it.


The beginning paragraph pulled me in and kept me intrigued through the first slow paced pages.    Setting the foundation for her story,  Sira, the fatherless daughter of a seamstress, tells us what she could expect from her life in Madrid.  She seems to be a woman of  little ambition.  She meets a stable man and becomes happily engaged.


While planning her wedding and her life she makes a life altering decision.  With the Spainish Civil War seeming inevitable,  she finds herself in Morocco abandoned, penniless,  pregnant, and with serious legal troubles.  Falling back on a trade she learned at her mother's hem, she rises out of the ashes of a ruined life to payback debts, build confidences and a new life, albeit a dangerous one, as she is pulled into the world of the fashion conscious rich, the politically powerful, and the British Secret Service.


Filled with well developed characters, a beautifully designed plot and lusciously descriptive language we are taken on a journey through the Spanish Civil War and carried to the doorstep of a Nazi occupied Madrid via Morocco and Portugal.  Lines are drawn and sides taken.   Sira finds herself dangerously caught up in secrets, schemes and betrayals not knowing who is friend or foe.  You will find yourself holding your breath to the end.


Six hundred plus pages...it seemed far less.




Since finishing The Time In Between I've opened several books not finding one that pulled me in.... thus the "book hangover".   Well... 


until I visited the library yesterday....
I can't wait to tell you about the book I am exploring now.


Do you ever suffer from "book hangover"?  My friend said when she finds herself there she pulls out Jane Austen.  What is your prescription?

Happy Reading!

23 comments:

  1. I think you've got me hooked too!

    I definitely know about book hangover, and for me there's no cure except time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, Yes time is the cure for many things in life. If you read "The Time In Between" I hope you will share your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. How well I know this feeling. Almost like wallowing in the story, unwilling to let go of the characters. My solution is what I call a break book. Several mindless fluff books live in my “other” bag. Written, no doubt, by earnest writers; joy filled books with happy endings. I’m by no means disparaging them. If it was not for their existence I would still be paralyzed in the last great book I just reluctantly put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I like your description....wallowing in the story....it is so accurate. I often find short stories are often a good cure as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. is this a good thing, or a bad thing??

    because of you, and because my childhood friend wrote a book, i am reading again and it feels great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie:
    Certainly we understand and share your feeling of emptiness when a good book is finished and an uncomfortable hiatus before the next is started.

    The works of Jane Austen are indeed both well known to us and well loved, but it is, perhaps, to EM Forster that we return most often when unsure about where next to take our reading wanderlust.

    Thank you for your book recommendation. We have not heard of this novel or its writer and shall investigate it with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, I actually have Forester's "A Room With a View" on my to reread list. I read it many many years ago. I also have "A Passage to India" on my reading list. I would love to hear about your favorite. The beginning of school will soon be here; I will find my "free reading" time greatly reduced, at least for awhile. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. I am so glad to have a name to my disorder!!! I too just have to take a 'book break' which is unnerving for me because I am an avid reader and need that daily fix of being immersed in a good book....I just brought 5 books back to the library yesterday hoping they could help me through this 'hangover' but alas...after the first few pages of all of them....none of them 'clicked'. I randomly picked up Sandra Brown's Lethal and that seems to be doing the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I so often check out a stack and return them within a week unread. I have several books on my bookshelves I have wanted to read, but I have yet to be pulled in by them. So glad you've found something to help you over the hump.

      Delete
  6. I'd never heard the term "book hangover" but it sums up the feeling I've had many times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very taken with the term "book hangover". In the last few days I've been galloping through a few light reads - but nothing that would produce this sort of vague sense of loss...! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't a great description? I think we have always wanted to put a finger on that feeling of emptiness.....now we have it!

      Delete
  8. This sounds wonderful. And 600 pages! So many books are waaay too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, I truly became totally immersed the the book and didn't realize the length. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  9. Hi Bonnie, I too understand that feeling of "book hangover." I also recently have brought home several books that are not very good. When I want something good to read I go to the old reliables: Howards End by E.M. Forster, Emma by Jane Austen, Excellent Women by Barbara Pym. I don't think you will be disappointed. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I actually brought home "A Room with a View" to reread and "The Enchanted April" (a suggestion from you, I believe). I've actually been reading a few random short stories and watching the olympic games. I hope you are having a wonderful week.

      Delete
  10. yes! I have never heard that term or known what I was experiencing...but I think that is a good description!! usually after I read a "heavy", thought provoking book and the book club choices then seem so lame... I do need a mental break though and go for the light read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! I'll jot this down on my To-Read list! :)
    Thank you, Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are certainly some books that you 'live' in and are loathe to leave. I like to read short stories after I have been involved in a long read. I've just finished Elizabeth Taylor's collection, 'The Blush' - wonderful. Now I'm ready for another novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. I actually have been picking through a few short stories lately. Thanks for the recommendation of another collection.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post, particularly like the quote from Anna Quindlen.

    ReplyDelete