Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday's in the Kitchen-- Peaches and Tea

Do you love peaches?  I love peaches! 

 One of my favorite things about this time of year is the abundance of those delicious juicy globes of goodness.   Yes, yet another of my weaknesses.. sigh..  I am fortunate to have several peach orchards in and around my area supplying me with my summer fix.  When I don't make it to the farmer's market I've been able to find locally grown peaches at Whole Foods.  This week, wanting to preserve some of summer's gold, I went in search of a peach preserves recipe.

After browsing through books, magazines and several web sites I happened upon two separate links for Lord Grey's Peach Preserves. The ingredients were simple... no preservatives... I was sold.


Lord Grey's Peach Preserves
(bonappetit.com)

5 pounds ripe peaches
4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 Earl Grey tea bags, divided
(The tea adds just a hint of a floral flavor.)

Cut a shallow x in the bottom of each peach.  Working in batches, blanch in a large pot of boiling water until skin loosens, about 1 minute.  Transfer to a large bowl of ice water; let cool.  Peel, halve, and pit.  Cut into 1/3 inch slices.  Combine with sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl.  Let stand 30 minutes.

Place a small plate in the freezer.  Transfer fruit mixture and 4 tea bags to a large heavy pot.  Open the remaining tea bag and crumble leaves slightly; add to pot.  Bring to a boil, stirring gently, and cook 15 to 20 minutes.  Test doneness by dropping a small spoonful on chilled plate and tilting.  It is ready if the preserves do not run.  (The longer it cooks the darker it becomes)  Remove tea bags.  Skim foam from the surface of pan.  Ladle into jars.  Wipe rims, seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.



Nothing makes me smile like the popping of the jar lids once they are out of the bath.

The recipe reads that it yields 2 pints.  I actually filled 8 1/2 pint jars.  The finished product looks a little like peach slices in a cup of tea.  One of the reasons I wanted to try this recipe was it did not ask for a pectin.  The syrup didn't gel quite like I thought it would.  I will take responsibility.  I am still a newcomer to preserving/canning;
I am sure the mistakes are mine.



This morning I spread a couple of the peaches on a slice of toast
...yum...
I love the hint of the tea.

I think it will be wonderful spooned over vanilla bean ice cream or maybe on pancakes or french toast.  Oh, or over pound cake. 

Bon Appetit'!

Have a tasty week!




25 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I love peaches also. Recipe sounds delicious! I bet the tea taste makes it wonderful. I recently made homemade honey peach ice cream and it was so good. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, The tea gives the preserves just a subtle floral flavoring. The ice cream sounds divine. Summer and ice cream just go together. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    Oh, how wonderful all of this sounds and surely absolutely delicious too. We love your description of peaches as 'summer's gold' which, of course, they truly are. And as we write this, the fruit bowl in the dining room is brimming over with peaches, and only peaches. Perfect for a midnight feast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance....I keep a bowl full of peaches this time of year as well. I enjoy one for breakfast each morning, but I think a midnight treat would be nice. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. Everything is coming up peaches today! I've just bookmarked several peach recipes and am adding yours. Alas, our nearby peach sources (Michigan) had their crop severely damaged during our strange spring weather. We are getting some good ones but they aren't as plentiful as in years before. I'm thinking hot biscuits slathered in peach preserves.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I think you would really enjoy these preserves. You make the biscuits, I bring the preserves. What fun we could have. Have a wonderful week. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, It is so much fun and relaxing...for me. Thanks, Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Good grief, I must come for tea! Peaches are the juiciest, sweetest most delectable fruit that ever was. Unfortunately, Our peach trees are a miserable failure, we even cut one down this year. How's about I trade you a bushel of our pears for a bushel of your peaches?!! Oh, I know, they are too precious a treasure. Oh, I envy your dinner guest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, I would gladly make the trade. I am waiting for the wonderful french butter pears to be readily available for my pear butter. Our peaches seemed to be a little late this year. I really don't know why, everything else came in and left so early. I do hope they are here for a few more weeks. Oh do come and please bring your pets. We will have the most interesting tea party.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful sounding recipe. I don't have the patience to make the preserves, but rather will buy them at the farm market. I am sure they won't be as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, I've actually find making jams and preserves relaxing. And there is a sense of accomplishment. It is all pretty straightforward...at least when I read all the recipe and don't throw in my own interpretation....ha! ha!

      Delete
  7. Yummy! We love peaches too. We actually went peach picking a week or so ago. I think I need to try this recipe with some of our haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, It really is quite tasty. I hope you try it.

      Delete
  8. Bonnie, I'm a GA peach so of course I love peaches. I've eaten them all summer, my sister is making peach perserves and I love peach tea and peach cobbler. It was a stable in our home in the summer. Always love your blog and your sweet posts on mine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia most definitely has the best peaches. Unfortunately we do not get GA peaches this way. If they are not local they are usually from California. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you have a restful day. Bonnie

      Delete
  9. How beautiful they look! Oh I would love to do this one day. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, Thank you! Like you I always wanted to make jams and preserves, but was a little bit intimidated Finally last year I just decided to jump in and do it. There is a sense of accomplishment each time a lid pops.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for visiting!! I love the 'bird by bird' analogy...you must be an Anne Lamott fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never canned..but fortunately I have relatives and friends who do....this is perfect gift!!! oh peach preserves...I wish we were related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie, How fortunate I would be to be related. I do love to gift my preserves. It gives me the excuse to continue canning.

      Delete
  12. This looks really yummy! I just started canning last year - I've only done tomatoes but maybe I'll give these peaches a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooohhhh the possibilities!! looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer, My first adventure into making preserves was last year as well. I am thinking salsa may be in my future. Tomatoes worry me a bit for some reason. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks yummy. There is nothing like homemade. I've heard of peaches and cream, but never peaches and tea. (that would make a great blog name, would it not?). Who cares if it did not gel enough, as long as it tastes sublime!

    ReplyDelete