Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Afternoons in the Kitchen



Growing at the edge of the yard I played in as a child was an old fig tree.  Up until the time we moved to the farm the only thing I really knew about fig trees was the story of Adam and Eve, the snake, the apple and the fig leaf.  I am not for sure I really knew there was a fruit, or if I cared.  I was pretty much an apple and banana girl.   I had never tasted a fig until that time.   I remember the first time Mother reached into the tree, picked a sun warmed fig and offered it to me to taste.   The sweet mushiness was divine.  

As years passed the tree grew enormous and the fruit was so plentiful Daddy would wedge long pieces of lumber under the fruit ladened branches to keep them from breaking.   Each summer the birds and I would fight over the ripened figs.  Mother soon began picking the figs and making the best fig preserves ever.  The birds and I fought over the leftovers.  She did little more that half the fruit and make a sugar syrup to pour over them.  Unfortunately, she didn't  know she would leave us so early and didn't bother to write her recipe down.  The best fig preserve ever recipe was lost forever.

Several years ago Roger and I bought a teeny tiny fig tree; really just a stick.  This past spring I counted 26 figs on our little tree with four branches; the birds and squirrels feasted and I cried.   Through the summer I watched figs appear and disappear.  I have yet to enjoy one of my own homegrown figs.

Last week Whole Foods had figs on sale; I brought home two containers of Mission figs and made my first preserves.  It is not my mother's recipe.  It is mine.


And all the lids popped! 

 This past weekend I brought home four pounds of French Butter pears.  They are my very favorite. 
It was so difficult resisting the urge to cut one up as a yummy snack, but I had a plan for these beauties. 


Today I peeled, cored and quartered.  I cooked the pears down with sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and orange zest.   My finished product?  Three pints of pear butter.  


They all popped, and
I am so pleased!

I am loving my Monday afternoons in the kitchen!
I wish my Mother could be here with me... 
And, I know she is.






  

11 comments:

  1. Your fig jam looks delicious - not so sure about the pear butter. We had a fig tree on our previous property but it was always a fight between me and the birds for the fruit. There never did seem to be enough for jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to pop in with a jar of each, I'll make the biscuits!! I love fig jam and the pear butter looks delicious.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. will you marry me?? pretty please!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie:
    How wonderful, and delicious, all of this sounds. But how sad that you should have lost all of your own figs to the squirrels and the birds. Perhaps next year you will have to net the tree not easy but it may well preserve the fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the sounds of popping jars! It's so much fun. Everything you made looks wonderful and I loved the story of the fig tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our neighbors have a fig tree that leans into our yard. Drew LOVES picking and eating fresh figs So, we bought our own little twig at the farmers market last summer. It's doing well, can't wait for it to fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fighting the birds and squirrels for fruit on a tree is a full time job. No such problem when you go to Whole Foods (such a gem of a store).

    Loved your childhood story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan Heather... Pear butter is really only pears reduced to pulp and mixed with sugar and a few spices. It is used much like jellies and jams. Thank you so much for visiting.

    Bonnie... Start making those biscuits!!! It would be so nice, wouldn't it?

    Julie... I hope your twig grows into a magnificent fig tree loaded with fruit....as suggested by Jane and Lance, you might want to secure netting in expectation.

    Arleen...Isn't Whole Foods the best? I am in so often the cashiers know me by name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a big fig tree in my backyard. You are right, it is often a battle of between us, and the birds. So very worth it.

    Your fig and pear preserves look wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet story with a yummy ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the preserves. I am still relishing the fig preserves that I made last month! Your mom would be proud of you :) Your pear butter sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete