Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Keep Moving

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.   
...Albert Einstein


Old bicycle with basket and shopping bag, parked in the narrow cobble street Stock Photo - 10661663
image via stock photo/bicycle
And if you fall you must find the courage
to mount it once again
and continue on your way.


When I was quite young, around seven, every Saturday night my brother and I would saddle our horses and ride from our house to the rodeo arena at the fair grounds to participate in "The Riding Club".  It would take us about an hour.  My brother, being almost six years older, took very good care of me on those rides. 

One afternoon late, possibly a little behind schedule, my brother ask me if I wanted to gallop.  We were crossing an open field and I thought it would be great fun.  He said, "let's go" as he spurred his horse.  My horse, caught off guard, leapt to followed just as we happened upon an unseen drainage ditch.  She jump it leaving me somewhere behind.  I landed with a big thud, flat on my back, knocking the breath out of me.  I was too dazed to cry.

My brother, out of concern or the fear of being in trouble, coaxed me back on the horse with the promise he would not leave my side, and that we would walk the rest of the way.
When we arrived I rode around the arena a few times, dismounted handed my dad the reins and walked away.  I don't remember how my horse got home.  I am guessing one of my brother's friends or my Dad rode her home.  

Everyone told me I had to get right back on.  They said the longer I waited the harder it would be to conquer my fear.  Everyone had stories of falls and tumbles.  I heard the whispers of the Mommas and Daddies as I sat quietly in the bleachers with Momma.  Everyone was concerned, but my Dad.  He never pushed me to mount another horse.  He, instead, waited patiently.

One day when I returned home there was a book about a girl learning to ride horses laying on my bed.  I read it cover to cover before going to bed.  The next day and the day after I read it again.  I read that book daily for weeks.  I missed the horses and riding.

Gradually, I made my way back to the barn and back onto a horse.  Waiting probably did make it harder.  I rode again at "The Riding Club".  I barrel raced in high school rodeos and traveled to many places to participate in many rodeos.  I won, I came in second and third, sometimes I went home empty handed and I was thrown off again more than once.

I had learned my lesson young.  You cannot allow fear to stop you from doing what you want to do.

Friday, after my accident with the deer, someone offered to drive my car.  I immediately declined and said I needed to drive.  Somewhere in my heart I knew if I handed over the keys, I might not pick them up again.  I would be lying to you if I said I do not think about the accident and what might have been each morning when I get into my rental car to drive to school.  The dreams are becoming less vivid and the horrible sound of the poor animal hitting my car is quietening.  The "what ifs" are fading to the background, being replaced with gratitudes.  Bicycles, horses, cars...life all have the ability to send us flying and to the ground.  It is what we do when we get up that directs us on our way.    

Let's keep moving!

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad you mounted the horse again and hung on to your keys this time. I admire your stength and you are a good example and reminder to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my daughter was thrown off a horse a couple of years ago and hurt her back really badly. She was struggling to breath - I took her to hospital and she had all sorts of x-rays done. No damage but badly bruised back. Scared the living daylights out of me and my daughter. She refused to go back on a horse and still hasn't even though she truly loves them.
    Anyway, all that to say you do really have to get straight back on and do it again. Well done you - it takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the message in this post...especially the last sentence.

    I can see how easily these words could also be applied to other difficult life situations...trust, love, family, relationships.

    You are very wise and I always learn something when I visit you ~
    Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said! If we let fear take over, we miss out on life and all it offers. I say this because, like most of us, I have fallen down many times and fought through all my fears to get up and try again.

    At this time of my life though, I am finding my fears becoming more real and it is getting harder to overcome them. I'm still standing tall though and there is still passion in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bonnie:
    This is such an important message and one which we wholeheartedly endorse. Life will throw many things in one's path, many of which have the capacity to disturb, unbalance and throw off course. But, as you say, the measure of a person is what they do about it and starting again, getting right back on track is definitely what we should advocate.

    Your incident with the deer was absolutely awful, but in our view, getting straight back behind the wheel was an important part of the recovery. Such fears must be faced head on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arleen, Age does seem to add a few new hurdles in our path. Things that were not on my radar now seem to frequently send out alerts. I think the key is exactly what you have...passion. Wishing you well! I am so glad we connected. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful entry, thoughtful and profound. we are all stronger then we realize but you my friend are brave as well!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I am so glad you are ok. I had missed the deer post, not being in blogland these past few weeks while out stripping, lol. I would have been terrified about the horse fall! I can remember my two year old niece being thrown from her horse, and my brother picking her up and making her get back on it immediately after seeing that she was ok. I was soooo angry with him for doing something so cold and stupid as making her get back on that big thing that had just thrown her off! I know now he did the right thing but it sure didn't seem like it then. So glad you made it back on the horse, and back behind the wheel of your car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, very nice to meet you.
    After your fall, you managed to work it all out in your own time. Someone was very wise to leave that book on your bed, I suspect it was your father.
    As a young girl, I wanted nothing more that to have a horse, horses were my life... except that I never actually HAD a real one! So I do envy you the experience of a young life in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. Thank you for sharing this tale from your childhood. It takes a lot of courage to get back on that horse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said (written), Bonnie. Reminds me of what Eleanor Roosevelt said - "We must do the thing we think we cannot do." And when we do, the fear fades away.
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful thing your dad did. Just leaving a book on your bed. How sweet of him. Sorry about your accident. I need to read the older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful message. I'm sorry I didn't know about your accident with the deer. I just skimmed down and saw the damage to your car - Yikes! I'm glad you are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie...I really enjoyed your post, what a fantastic storyteller you are! I read another post today about fear of horses, I am sure she would be encouraged by your story. Do you know Sharon at My French Country Home? If not, I think you would enjoy her blog.

    I am sorry to hear about your accident with the deer. I can just imagine how frightening that must have been. I think your solution to the problem was an admirable one.

    I appreciate your comment about my blog..and as to your comment.. I think your direction is perfect. Keep writing, you have a gift. :)

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post, Bonnie. You told your story so well and your dad handled that beautifully. I think sometimes when we're pushed, that fear becomes even worse. I once had an old cowboy friend of mine tell me, about a different situation in my life that had left me afraid, that it was "time to get off the fence and back in the chute". His words apply to so many different area's and are a favorite quote of mine now.
    Glad you got back on that horse and back in your car. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete