Monday, October 10, 2011

Balancing

I had great plans of coming home from school today and trying my hand at making pumpernickel bread.   I have so enjoyed my "Mondays in the Kitchen".  This morning I ran out the door without my grocery list.   To be really honest, I am not for sure how successful I would have been.  I've been feeling a wee bit off balance of late.

Pinned Image
image via pinterest

You've probably noticed I've been devouring books lately.  I try to only bore you with the ones I really enjoy.   When I need to find my center I usually rush off to the bookstore.  I don't need to purchase a book;  I need only to walk among them.   I read the covers, touch the bindings and I know I am among kindred souls, whether they be authors or characters.  (I truly am not as eccentric as this makes me sound...honestly.)

Today, after a quick walk, I headed to the library.  Sometimes I want to hold a book that has been held in the hands of another book person.  A book whose cover is worn and pages a bit tattered.  A book that has been shared and passed among book-loving strangers.   I looked for some of my favorite authors, most were out visiting someone else this afternoon.  When I can't find what I am looking for I like to pick out a letter in the alphabet and search all the authors whose names begin with that letter.  Today I happen to choose "W".  I have no rhyme or reason, it is just a system I came up with that seems to work for me.  I came home with The Ponder Heart, Eudora Welty and The Judges, Elie Wiesel; neither very long.   While I am a huge fan of Eudora Welty, this is my first introduction to Wiesel.  I'll let you know what I think.  

I do adore the library!  I don't take advantage of it as much as I should.  It really is a most wonderful system.

I am thinking an evening with a good book and an attitude adjustor


(I bet you were expecting wine!)

is all I need.

I hope you have had a wonderful Monday!

Tuesday is going to be fabulous.....

14 comments:

  1. As a library trustee, I thank you for using and loving the library. That being said, I find myself purchasing a lot of books because the library wants theirs back!! I have plans to visit a bookstore on Wednesday. Alas, our wonderful independent bookstore was put out of business by the big book stores. Now they are closing. I don't like ordering books on line since I, too, have to get the feel of a book. I don't read mass market books because I don't like the way they open or the print. Maybe all readers are a little eccentric.

    I'll be interested to hear how you like Elie Wiesel.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting libraries is very relaxing. I need to get back into the habit of reading before I go to bed. I usually flip through a few cookbooks before I turn in. The ice cream is hard to turn down though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope your books and treat are just what you need to find your balance again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I do think libraries are these little jewels so often overlooked. I love collecting books as well, so I don't go to the library as often as I should. I have ordered books on line, but I am too impatient. I want it now! Enjoy your Wednesday outing. I wish I could join you...wouldn't we have a great time? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. you always say things so beautifully!! i will take ice cream over wine, every. single. time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is not much that is better than a quiet evening with a good book. Enjoy yourself. Your header photo is gorgeous. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up around the corner from a very large library in New York. It was such a great place to go and spend my rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arleen, I am guessing the NY library was huge. I usually just go to the small branch just a short drive from my home. None the less, I enjoy visiting and often wonder why I don't frequent it more often. Thanks, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love our library system here too. They have a great online way to search and request books that I can pick up at our local branch.

    Love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting...I love your blog and share your love for books...Have a great week!...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. We drive into town once a week to run errands - and the library is a must. I appreciate your sharing books & authors that you like with us. Then we can look for these and share the same love.
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun way to choose your books! The only book by Elie Wiesel that I've read was Night. Very dark, but profound and it has really stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beth... Welcome! "The Judges" is quite dark as well. It is truly a study of character. So glad to hear from you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, when I am not finding anything I want to read in the library I always head for the "W"s".

    I'll have to give it a try this weekend.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete