Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another For the Favorites List

"I caught up with the others outside, giving a little prayer of thanks to no one in particular.  Because when some incident sheds a favorable light on an old and absent friend, that's about as good a gift as chance intends to offer."

Pinned Image

When I picked up Amor Towles' debut novel Rules of Civility I had no idea I was about to enter a beautifully written story I would not want to leave.  We are allowed to shadow the smart and savvy Katey Kontent  as she moves through the jazz clubs of the lower east side to the townhomes and vacation homes of Manhattan's elite and powerful during the late 30s.  Through humor and wisdom we find life's path is controlled as much by chance as by design.   Few books have me laughing out loud one moment and within pages misty eyed.  I was truly, at times, transported with words.  Mr. Towles "dots all the i's and crosses all the t's".  At the end we are not left wondering what happened to....  

Without doubt, unfortunately, this book will quickly be snatched up to be transformed into a movie.  There are plenty young, talented and beautiful actors who can recreate the characters.   They will include all the things that draw in moviegoers.  They might even tell a good story; they will miss the point.  They almost always do.  I hope they prove me wrong.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the hunt!! I'm reading Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks for my Muse group. Very good but I'm being slowed down by the 17th century New England/Native American verbiage and spend a lot of time looking up words and places on the computer.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, Geraldine Brooks is a favorite of mine. I would love to hear your thoughts on Caleb's Crossing. I haven't read it, though it is now on my "to read" list. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete