Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Back Door is Closed

Grab the beverage of your choice and sit back for I have a tale to tell.


Thursday evening Roger and I took our simple pasta supper to the sunroom to enjoy the outside from inside avoiding a mosquito swarm.  We lingered enjoying a glass of wine, talking about our day and watching the sun leave the sky.  As the evening enveloped the backyard we were prompted to get up and finish daily chores.   Roger headed outside and I began clearing the table.  I stacked the dishes and took the few steps into the kitchen.

I stopped and did a double take.  He was about nine inches and was slithering across my kitchen floor.   It  was rather surreal seeing this visitor scooting across the floor, head held high, the refrigerator towering on one side and the stove hovering on the other, moving toward the dead end of the room.   I felt as if maybe I had walked into a Salvador Dali painting.  I had to wonder if I was imagining it.

Although I  am not afraid of snakes, cautious, but not scared, I did yell out "snake".   Okay,  I just said it...yes, there was a snake in my kitchen.  I live in suburbia not the country!   No one came to my rescue and he seemed comfortably at home.  I went to the back door to get Roger's attention.  In disbelief he followed me into the kitchen only to find our night visitor had disappeared. 

Where?  Under the refrigerator?  The stove?  Or maybe into the abyss by the dishwasher?  There was always the possibility he dropped down the air conditioner vent in the floor.  We spent about an hour looking for this directionally challenged fellow.  

We pumped the air conditioning down to see if we could chill him into seeking warmer ground.  Bedtime and no snake.  I had visions of him slipping through the air conditioning ducts, up the walls and dropping through the vent above my bed.  Surprisingly I fell asleep with little effort.  I did have a couple of snake dreams; one involved a dog, a very large snake and fire (I was in a Dali painting).  

Friday morning there was no sign of my houseguest, and I went about my business getting ready to leave for school.  Around 10 o'clock I received a text from Roger.

"I CAPTURED THE LITTLE GUY!
HE IS BACK IN THE GREENBELT.
ON ACCOUNT OF GOOD BEHAVIOR,
NO DEATH PENALTY."

When I had a minute I texted back, "Where did you find him?"

His reply, "Sunning, by the chair in the den."

Yes!  That would be my chair.  The chair where I sit each morning to email my daughter.  Had he been coiled under the chair that morning watching my feet?    Or maybe he was in my knitting basket setting beside my chair.   I shiver to think of reaching into the basket pulling out a wiggling snake instead of a knitting needle.   I suppose he was trying to give me a Halloween jumpstart.

I think I will rethink saying "the backdoor is always open".

I do hope he finds his mom and dad.  His mom and dad...surely they are living outside.



13 comments:

  1. Oh my, I don't know how you managed to sleep. I'm not very keen on snakes. I have to say I think you were both very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Gosh! I would have died right then and there. You are one brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really afraid of snakes but, like you, cautious. However, I don't like surprises and don't know that I could have slept as easily as you. I'm certain that both you and the snake are happy with his capture and parole. Hope you have a snakeless and nice weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want snakes and anything else without legs to stay out of my house. I am guess the poor little thing thought he had found a wonderful place to spend the winter. I hope your weekend is going smoothly. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not scared of snakes, but I'm pretty sure I would have been completely freaked out at having an un-accounted for snake in my house (probably out of fear the Henry would find it and try to eat it!) I'm glad it all turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    Oooh a snake, we should not have liked that at all and are quite sure that we should not have slept a wink. Snakes are the stuff of nightmares as far as we are concerned.

    We are so pleased that the snake has now been ousted but, as you say, what about the relatives....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ton blog est vraiment Magnifique:) Bon dimanche!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this, I could feel the tension come across me. I am sure the little fella would not have hurt a soul, but let's admit it, snakes are not what one would favor for a house pet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Oh Oh...you have just written an account of one of my biggest fears! I think I would have gone somewhere else to sleep for the night...you must be very calm...I am great in a dire situation...but this one would blow my cool. We were forced to renovate a previous home of ours because of a water pipe break. My husband found a snake skin in the wall...that did me in! Your story is way way too real for me. Pat yourselves on the shoulder, well done with a brave heart. I am not afraid of snakes, but I have no desire to cultivate a relationship with one....PS photo of Willie is adorable he has a future in film!
    http://shoresidefarmhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arleen -- I will admit, I have (only) slightly thought about his welfare; I agree snakes are left outside. Bonnie


    Art Gypsy -- Thank you so much for visiting. Snakes are and should remain solitary beings. Willie sends his humbled appreciation for an admiring eye. He is a rescue with a gentle spirit. Thanks, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came over from Jill's blog. You have a great blog--lots of nice pictures and interesting commentary. I'm going to make your pumpkin bread--I always love nuts in anything. I'm a follower and look forward to enjoying more of your posts. Mickie :) P.S. Your header pic is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! So glad your hubby found it and sent it in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes Julie, my husband is my hero! I keeping my fingers crossed the little critter stays outside. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete