Friday, October 21, 2011

"Mayhem Hits"

The morning could not have been more perfect for a school trip to a local pumpkin patch.   There was just the right amount of chill in the air and the sun, giving us those wonderful long autumn shadows, promised a beautiful day.   I left just early enough to stop by and pick up another teacher before heading out into the country. 

Do you remember this from last year?

 The drive would not be long; the company and conversation welcome.  We were almost to the pumpkin patch when my friend started screaming my name.  I couldn't figure out why she was screaming.  I was on my side of the road, no one was head toward me and nothing was in the road.   I suspect I took my foot off the brake when she screamed.  I saw the deer just as it collided with my car.  I will be really honest with you, I have no idea what I said.  I stopped and started to get out of the car to check on the deer, but my friend kept saying you can't stop here....you can't get out.  I am sure I must have given her the most ridiculous look.  I looked to the side there was no shoulder.  I glanced into the review mirror... stopped in back was a line of cars.   We were okay.

I did finally move my car down the road.  I will be honest with you, I was fairly paralyzed by the whole incident and upset over hitting an animal.  My passenger was the one who kept her head.   The car behind me pulled up beside me to see if we were okay.  And one of my parents turned around and came back to help. 

The buck hit the right front corner of my car and flipped over the hood.  Damage was done to the car, but no human life was harmed.    


I have spent the afternoon thinking about all the "what ifs".   What if I had seen it coming and slammed on my brakes?  What if I had swerved to try to avoid the poor animal?  With each scenario I shudder because the outcome could have been tragic.   I had a passenger in my car and the cars behind me had children aboard.  And, I will not be able to let go of those facts for awhile.

Tonight I am giving thanksgiving for having a friend with me who kept her wits about her when my brain turned to jello, and for what didn't happen. 

My car was drivable and we did head out to meet our children and their parents at the patch.    The children picked the very best pumpkins, rode on the hayride and toured a sunflower maze, done the wiser of what had happened...  just as it should be.  I didn't take the pictures I had hoped for, but the children and their parents had a good time. 





This afternoon when I told my daughter what had happened she replied "Mayhem hit you".

Cars are just metal and wires....repairable and replaceable.

May you have a fun and safe weekend.

I am going to be counting my blessings.










8 comments:

  1. oooohhhh bonnie, how brave of you to go on with your day.

    i know you were excited about your day in the pumpkin patch, how fortunate for you that you did not miss it!!

    and "ouch" on that car!! so happy you are o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are okay. I hate those close calls, though sometimes I really think they are the reminder we need... a couple of weeks ago I witnessed two fatal crashes (one involving a pedestrian hit by a car) within 24 hours - it really shook me up for several days, thinking about how fragile life is and how many close calls we face. Hugs to you, I know it's a crummy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness how scary. So glad nobody was hurt. It does give you a right fright when something like that happens. No point on dwelling what if's, everybody was safe and your car can be fixed. Hope your weekend is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also giving thanks that you were not injured as well as the others. How scary that must have been!

    Bless your heart on forging ahead at the pumpkin patch. I know the kids won't forget their day but for different reasons than you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so relieved to know you're ok. It's so scary to have any kind of accident or collision. I've been rear-ended a few times and shook for hours and I hit a squirrel once and was traumatized by it. Deer are so dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a person who has been in a very bad accident, I understand how you feel. The ifs will drive you insane, however, there are no ifs, it is what it is. You are safe, your passenger is safe and other than the deer, no one was injured. It will take awhile to get over that moment, but you will.

    The deer are all over right now because it is mating season. It is difficult time to be out on country roads. I try not to drive at night because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all your well wishes. All will be well! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a story. And quite a messed up car.

    So glad no humans were harmed, but yes, poor deer.

    Altogether traumatic.

    Thank you for your support. It means the world to me.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete