Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hook 'em Horns


We spent this past weekend in Austin, Texas.   Roger and I met and married while living in Austin.  And, our daughter was born in Austin.   Roger is always telling me,  we have three homes: Austin,  Nashville and where ever we are living at the time.   I will probably never move back, but no matter how long I am away when I enter the city I feel like I am home.

We always seek out a favorite place to eat our first night in town.
Z tejas on 6th street is my very favorite


The atmosphere is relaxed and the food is fresh and delicious.

We began with a trio of fresh salsas.


My personal favorite was the verde; a mixture of tomatillos,  jalapenos
 and avocado.  How could it be anything but delicious!  
Seriously, just bring me a bigger bowl and a straw, please.

Having missed lunch,  I was starving.  I went for the catfish taco on the appetizer menu.  Oh, they also have catfish beignets that are scrumptious, if you love catfish.....I do love catfish.

  
Roger had the shrimp and avocado tostadas.
We shared.

Saturday was spent on campus amid a sea of burnt orange.


No matter where you look, on gameday,
 there is nothing but Texas orange.


And just in case you find yourself wanting


more Texas "stuff'", you need only cross the street


to find the perfect item.
(I did a little Longhorn shopping at The Coop Friday before dinner.)

No shopping today.
We were in Austin to see our beloved Longhorns play some football.


We cheered loudly, and our team fought hard.
We found ourselves on the losing side of the scoreboard.
As my husband always says after a losing day, "It was a bad
day at the ranch".

Longhorns win graciously and are equally gracious in a lose.
As I left the stadium walking through all the tailgaters,
I  could not help but notice the sportsmanship exhibited as
groups of fans from both sides
gathered to continue the celebration of a great game.
No one was in a hurry to pack up their tent or bus.  Food continued to cook on the grills and another game popped up on the generator run satellite TVs.  It was difficult to distinguish
who had won and who had lost.

OSU has an awesome team this year.
I wish them well on their fight to the championship.

Before leaving, Sunday morning we had to have breakfast at another favorite spot.


The waiting line is long, the tables are crowded together, but the breakfast is fabulous.   There is always a seasonal pancake.  Roger had pumpkin pancakes.  I had to go with the migas.  When in Texas.....

The only thing missing this weekend was our daughter and son-in-law.

I hope you had a wonderful weekend.



9 comments:

  1. The weather looked wonderful in Texas. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if you had a really good time in Austin. The food sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no place like home, especially when good eating awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin is a great city. We went three springs for LaGuna Gloria art show and would happily go back tomorrow. The people were great and the food wonderful! Sorry you lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so far behind i thought i was first ;)

    this looks like fun and the food, fabulous!! you kno that's my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arleen, Austin is a foodie town. Unless you go to a chain, you can't find bad food. Thanks, Bonnie

    Webb, Austin has some of the nicest folks. So glad to hear you were able to attend the art show. When we lived there we attended every art show possible. They have a wonderful Literary Festival....I missed it by one week:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been to Texas once and that was just two weeks ago for a wedding outside of Dallas. I'd love to see Austin one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day! Sometimes it's great to go back to where it all started, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, Austin has grown so much, but I never feel like it has outgrown me. It is comfortable! Thanks! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete