Friday, August 12, 2011

Treasures Found



Yesterday, for the second day in a row, there was thunder, lightening, wind and much needed rain.  It was a beautiful day.  A day to accomplish a few things I've been putting off for awhile.

All summer I've wanted to switch out the closets in my workroom and Heather's bedroom.  Four years ago I moved Heather's things to my space and all my stuff to her room.  I just never got around to changing out the closets.  With the calming sound of the rain hitting the windows I bravely opened the doors and began the task of removing the contents.

This morning I spent time going through boxes and putting like things together.   I quickly removed lids, checked out contents and moved it to the appropriate area.  I found one box at the top shelf labeled Heather and Bonnie memorabilia.  I faintly remember filling the box, but couldn't remember what was in it.  

I grabbed the box expecting it to be heavy, but found it to be quite light.  I placed it on the floor and lifted the lid.  What I saw took my breath away.  I sat down and reached in and gently took out my Mother's Bible.   


My Mother died in 1989.  When we were going through things, one of the only things I wanted was her Bible.   Although I don't remember frequently seeing her reading it,  I know she did.  She didn't find the need to have an audience when reading and she was never one to start quoting scripture.  She believed in acting on beliefs instead of talking about them.   I knew she loved to read and study in the early morning when the house was quiet and she was alone.  Her Bible  sat silently by her chair for as long as I can remember.  I believe it was one of her most prized possessions.

To be honest with you, I thought I had misplaced the Bible.   A few months ago when I was rearranging my workroom I discovered it missing from the shelf  where I thought I had placed it.   I couldn't believe I had recklessly misplaced it.

You need only open the cracked and peeling cover to find why this Bible could never be replaced.

You will find photographs


long forgotten Valentines
from a daughter


and a son,

notes jotted down about a grandbaby's birth,


a grandchild's work of art,


engagement and wedding announcements,



death notices,


a copy of a favorite hymn,


newspaper articles


and a cross marking a favorite scripture.


I suppose I moved it to the storage box for safekeeping, but it is now back on the shelf where I need it to stay.  I hope one day my daughter will take care of my Mother's Bible and understand she holds a little piece of a grandmother she no longer remembers.


It may look like an old and worn Bible, with pages made brittle and rusty  with time,  but this morning
I uncovered a treasure chest and felt my Mother's presence.


11 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie, Thank you for sharing these precious items and how wonderful to rediscover what you thought had been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie! This is so beautiful. You have touched my heart. I'm so glad you found your Mom's bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome find. It must have made your day. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm sure these treasured items will be passed through generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, wonderful hidden treasures!!

    i LOVE summer rain days, peaceful days to stay inside and do inside things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure to uncover. My mother's bible sits on the shelf right above my computer. It's red. My mother, like me, was quiet about her religion. She lived it every day. There was no need to tell people that she did. I feel the same way. I notice that we share the same middle name as well as first name.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift to find . . . and to have your mother's presence on a dark dreary day. It obviously was very special to her - I'm SO GLAD you didn't misplace it. :)

    How Great Thou Art is my favorite hymn - your mother sounds like she was a great woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice that you recovered the bible. When you hold it in your hands I imagine your mother holding it with you. If one is allowed only one book - this is the one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly a treasure, Bonnie--so much life packed between the pages. Is that you in the cowgirl hat?

    A tip I learned: Don't store precious paper in a plastic box. Especially in humid climates, plastic traps moisture and causes the paper to decay. For something as precious as this, you might want to spring for an archival box. If you go to dickblick.com and type in "museum storage boxes," you'll see what I'm referring to. They're about $15.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a little late responding to everyone. I've been sorting and storing a lifetime things which until now has haphazardly stacked in a couple of closets. Thank you for all kind comments.

    Rosemary - Once I realized it was missing, my heart would sink whenever I thought about it. I knew it was somewhere, now I am comforted to know where.

    Jill and Ellie -- Thank you. The Bible means so much to me.

    Debbie -- I never know where a rainy is going to send me. I may go straight to a chair with a book or find a project begging for attention.

    Bonnie- it seems we have a lot more in common than our names.

    Sarah - My Mother was a very special woman. She knew when it was is important to mother and when to be a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lana - I often feel my mother's presence. She was a wonderful role model and a dear friend.

    Charlotte - Ha! Ha! It is I. Did you know I rodeoed in High School? Thanks for the link for the museum storage boxes. I am going to check it out. For the time being, it is out on a shelf. I really don't like plastic, but I like being able to see what is in each box, and they are easily stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just touching something from a loved one from the past, touches your soul. There is always that connection that is never broken.

    ReplyDelete