Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Around the Corner

There is no way to deny it.  The first day of school is just
around the corner.   I have my first inservice on Friday.
This summer I basically disappeared.
It was something I needed to do.
Now it is time to rejoin the world;
it will be good to see familiar faces and catch up.

After a tutoring session this morning, I stopped and picked up
a few things for my classroom.  Just browsing the store excited 
me about a new school year with beginnings and so many possibilities.


I have been doing a little bit of tutoring.  Tutoring is probably
not the correct word.  We do a lot of playing.  I am working
with a child who is changing schools this year.  The new school
sent home a list of sight words to be mastered.
I am helping with a little catching up
and reviewing.

Her mom told me she was doing well the first of the summer,
but seemed to be regressing.  She is concerned she is going to
begin to dislike reading and school.
Mom was not happy with the 100 plus flash cards
and neither was I.  We agreed the cards needed to be
put away and some fun needed to be added.
We both want her to find success.

Over the weekend, with a plan in my head,  I went in search of
some tools to put a little joy back in learning.
First item on my list was Dr. Seuss (you just gotta love Dr. Seuss).
I picked up I Can Read With My Eyes Shut.
Next I needed something we could do together.
I found a book with short silly stories
followed by a few activities.  Last on my list....a tiara.



Each morning, we are together, my little friend earns
the crown by reading a few pages from Dr. Seuss.
She wears it while we are together.
We read, we talk, we giggle,
we write and give lots of "high fives.
Today we learned to jump up and click our heels.
At the end of our session she takes off  her tiara
and puts it back in my bag.

She doing a great job!  Her eyes sparkle every time
I say....perfect!
At the end of our time
together she will take the tiara home
to be her own "reading crown".
Don't you have one?

(I do!)




Learning should be an adventure not a chore. 

To encourage a love of reading is dear to my heart, because I
find such enjoyment.   If you can read you can go anywhere
and do anything.


Last week I read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, and loved it.
It is the love story between Hadley Richardson
and Ernest Hemingway.   Hadley was Hemingway's first and
 least known wife.  As in A Movable Feast,
we encounter many familiar names
such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.
We travel from St. Louis to the salons of Paris,
and on to the bullfights in Madrid and Pamplona.
These are the experiences Hemingway writes about
in his novel, The Sun Also Rises.
We know, in the end,  there will be deception, betrayal and heartache.
And we learn Hadley was Hemingway's true love.

I've always thought Hemingway to be a little larger than life, and
his bravado unappealing.  In The Paris Wife, I found
Ernest Hemingway to be almost
sympathetic and rather needy.


I loved all the comments and emails regarding Moby Dick.
I am "shelving" the idea of reading it once again.
The movie was......so, so.
I still feel like it is something I should plod through....
not today though.   I am currently reading 
The Sisters ("a saga of the Mitford family).
This is my summer of
memoirs and biographies.

With the temperatures soaring (113 right now) I hope you have
a good read to melt into.  (Don't forget to grab your tiara.)



15 comments:

  1. Wow, there should be more teachers like you. Your little pupil will probably remember you forever for the gift you are giving her. That's all I'm going to say on that.
    I've never read a Hemingway novel before, but I do fancy trying one.
    Your butterfly pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always felt that September was the start of a new year, not January 1st. I love your idea of the tiara for the little girl. How inventive you are! I'm going to have to copy you when my grandson (15 months) is old enough to read. Perhaps a king's crown? He should only be so lucky to have a teacher as nice as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh you are a wonderful teacher, learning should be fun!!!

    it was gorgeous here today, 86, no humidity. we spent the day in the pool and fussing over the gardens.

    your butterfly is gorgeous & now you will be greeted with good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know who instilled the love of reading in me, but I should thank them every single day. I used to spend the entire summer reading, and am looking forward to the time when I can read just any old time at all. I do need to look for a suitable tiara, tho. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're giving a great gift to this little girl, Bonnie. Your teaching is inspired!

    "The Sun Also Rises" is my favorite Hemingway novel. I re-read it about every 5 years (as I do Woolf's "To the Lighthouse") just to savor it all over again.

    Have you seen "Midnight in Paris" yet? We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    We do hope that you too get to wear the tiara from time to time for taking such an inspirational and highly original approach to teaching which is, in our experience, the only way forward. You must delight in seeing real progress being made and just as you excite interest in your small pupil, so we are sure it is the same in your normal classroom.

    Good idea, we think, to shelve Moby Dick!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Webb, I agree we should, most definitely thank those who encouraged our love of reading. I've not been reading as much as I would like, but I have enjoyed my other activities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlotte --I have not seen "Midnight in Paris". I actually had planned to go one afternoon last week and found it had been taken off the schedule. I was very disappointed. I hope it is as good on the small screen as the big; I am sure that will be my only option now.

    "Atlas Shrugged" was a book I found myself returning to each decade. A friend gave it to me in my twenties. I reread it in my thirties and forties. I haven't picked it up again, and I am not for sure I will. It really didn't speak to me the last time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane and Lance -- I actually wear a tiara (made of plastic and paste) during story time in my classroom. I find it helps with keeping the children's eyes on me. Teaching is less about the material, but how to flip the switch to ignite desire and exploration....in my humble opinion. Somedays I am more successful than others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so totally agree about creating a relaxed reading environment. All of my older girls and avid readers. My 13 yr. old spent the summer reading 3-4 books a week. She would just disappear into her room for hours. I would shoo her out in the evenings when it had cooled down but how wonderful and stress relieving for kids to have a good book to escape to. At least I know it is that way for me. 113 WOW it is hot there!! Keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your young student is so fortunate to have you as her tutor! How I wish that I had learned to love reading as a child. But I'm making up for it now, enjoying the classics - many for the 1st time!
    Wishing you a lovely one, Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elaine - I would suspect you are a reader as well. I find most children who have developed a love for reading has a parent or grandparent who loves to read. Love hearing about your daughter's love of books. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zuzu - Thank you for you kind words. I am actually the lucky one to be able to work with my little friend. I think it is wonderful you have developed the love of reading as an adult. I would love to hear what you are reading and about your favorite books. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Back to school is creeping up on us so fast - too fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather, It does seem like summer vacation has zoomed by. I'm starting to get excited.... Working in the classroom is a great way
    to beat the heat. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete