Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Opened the Door




and so many of you graciously walked through.

In my last post I ask a questions about responding to comments.  First, I found I was not the only one wondering about what is the best or correct way to respond to a comment.   Second, I found there is no right or wrong, only what makes you happy.  I like doing something the way that makes me happy.

When I was young I was very shy about asking questions.  I experienced a teacher laughing at a question I ask.  I don't remember the question, but I remember the feeling of humiliation when the class began giggling.  It pretty much stopped me from asking questions in public until years later when I experienced someone responding with, "Thanks for asking that question".   I then realized there is usually someone else wanting to know the same thing, but afraid to ask.  As a teacher I know there are no dumb or silly questions.   If I don't know the answer to a question, I will find someone who does; we will become enlightened together.

My question was simple and inconsequential (nothing to rock the world).  Asking even a simple question though starts conversation.  Through conversation we begin to become acquainted.  Once we become acquainted we begin to look at things through the eyes of another and maybe see things differently and maybe one day we will rock the world.  This is what I enjoy most about my own writing and reading blogs.  I almost always leave looking at something in a different light thanks to each of you.
 
A big thank you to everyone who commented.  I already have another question stirring around in my head.



  

9 comments:

  1. Bonnie: This is so beautifully written and so true. I still struggle with asking questions in public. One on one, I usually don't have a problem. I love your line "we will become enlighted together." I can tell you are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and looked at your last post and ralised I hadn't answered your question - although I did reply!I always try go back and reply tp a commenters blog. I love to get comments so I assume other people like that too.
    Regarding early years teachers - it only take one off hand remark to put a child off doesn't it. I have experienced it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unfortunate that the teacher laughed at your question. It just goes to show how even small things have a large impact on our childhood. I'll bet that made you an even better teacher. - Lana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel embarrassed for people giving a talk or lecture when at the end, they will always say, "Are there any questions". There is relief when a few slowly raised hands go up. I always try to have a question ready, but I do hope that I will not be called upon. Shyness, fear of sounding like a fool, choaking up, all of these are factors that keep us from putting ourselves out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bonnie.....this is soooo beautifully written, you really have a gift!!

    i have always been outgoing and confident, until my multiple sclerosis messed with my speech. now i stuggle and often remain silent in public. blogging is wonderful for me because i am able to "speak" without those issues.

    and i LOVE those doors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bonnie:
    How else, indeed, to we discover, learn, and formulate ideas and opinions without questioning what we see and experience and asking when we are unsure or do not know? The example which you give of the teacher's response to your question when at school is, we fear, far too common and, in our opinion, totally unacceptable and unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what my question is, dear Bonnie? Why weren't we closer friends in high school? I would have treasured your sensitivity, awareness, and kindness. I'm just glad to have reconnected with you again, to know the person you've become and the life you've built, and are helping others (particularly your students) to build.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starting Over - I think, unfortunately, many of us once believed asking questions meant we lacked intelligence. Isn't it so sad? Think of the things we missed learning. Such a wealth of information available for the asking. Bonnie

    Charlotte - I can't tell you how many times I ask the same question. As much as facebook absolutely drives me crazy, I am grateful it brought us back together. It is my wish one day we are able to sit down and visit in person. Thank you for your kind words. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very nice door! I think that you must be a warm and wonderful teacher. Ask away!

    ReplyDelete