Monday, August 1, 2011

Moby Dick


"Books, gentlemen, are a species of men, and introduced to them you circulate in the "very best society" that this world can furnish, without the intolerable infliction of "dressing" to go into it. In your shabbiest coat and cosiest slippers you may socially chat even with the fastidious Earl of Chesterfield, and lounging under a tree enjoy the divinest intimacy with my late lord of Verulam."
--Herman Melville



I will never claim to be well read, but I do enjoy a good book.  And, I do read my fair share of books.  I build a "to read" list from listening to and reading what other bibliophiles are reading.  I will also add books received as gifts, to that list.  Sometimes I find titles while browsing the bookstore, never hesitating to take out my phone and type in yet another title to my ever growing list.

Occasionally there is a book I wished I had been assigned to read while in school.  I would love to read it, but for some unexplainable reason it intimidates me.  Yes, at my age I can be intimidated by a book.  I would love to have some fabulous explanation, but I do not.    Maybe I am afraid I will find out something about myself better left alone.  I have been known to take a deep breath and open the cover of such books and find myself drawn in.  Others remain closed.

One such book is Herman Melville's Moby Dick.  I am almost sure I read a "juvenile" version, but I really wouldn't swear to it.   Anytime I mention it is on my "to read" list, I am often ask why.  I don't know.  I just want to read it, or maybe I think it is a work everyone should read.

Well, I am not going to open Melville's classic tonight, but I am looking forward to tuning into the new movie, "Moby Dick" made for the cable channel, Encore.  It will be on tonight and tomorrow evening.  So I am taking out the knitting and I am ready to settle in for the battle between Captain Ahab and his infamous fish.  Maybe I'll be more inclined to tackle this classic or find I have had my fill.

Most who know me, know I seldom watch a movie made from a book I have enjoyed.  I suppose I am not going against my past as I have yet to read to this book.

Happy Birthday Herman Melville!





10 comments:

  1. I read a lot. I love books--many different types of books. I did not like Moby Dick. I don't feel good about the fact that I don't like the book. I've even been to New Bedford to be closer to the "muse". It didn't work. I have no interest in the psychology between a man and a whale. I found it extremely boring!! I'd be very interested to hear what you think if you ever read the book. I didn't care for "Ahab's Wife" either.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a lot too and it's funny some books do reveal things about you or speak to your situation. I was given Papillion about two years ago and it definitely struck a chord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny - I have often wished the opposite: that I had NOT been assigned a book to read in school. There are books, like Wuthering Heights, that I absolutely HATED when I was forced to read them. And now I wonder if I would actually like them now, but I can't bring myself to re-read them, because of the bad memory. I was assigned Moby Dick at one point, and did read the whole thing. I don't remember anything except that it was looooooong ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera, sometimes you're not ready for a book when you read it. I can't imagine "Wuthering Heights" resonates with many contemporary teenagers. However...it's a great book. Give it another try! Also, "Jane Eyre" is probably even better.

    Bonnie, I'm with you about the movies from books I love. However, one reversal happened--I saw "Cold Mountain" before I read the book, which I'd resisted reading because there was such a fuss being made about it. How could it be good, if it was so popular?

    After I saw the movie, I immediately read the book, and then read it again. The film just skimmed the surface. That was a book to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bonnie:
    We are old enough to remember the original film, made in the 1950s we think, in which Gregory Peck starred as Captain Ahab. And although we have both read the book, we should never consider it as a favourite. We hope that you enjoy the television version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you like it. I tried years ago and it just wasn't for me. Maybe I'm odd, but I actually liked most of my required reading when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bonnie, With only a few exceptions I find that films come a very poor second to the books that they purport to depict. You are party to fantastic inner dialogues when reading and can build up the perfect picture in your mind. Highly spoken of films, such as 'The English Patient' tell different stories from their source material.
    My exceptions include the wonderful, 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Rebecca', both filmed in black and white.

    I was lucky and had an excellent English teacher who introduced me to many favourites. her choice of poetry, however, put me off Coleridge and the like for life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am an avid reader and have a running list of books which I am determined to get through. I didn't just not like Moby Dick...I was bored to tears with it. I found Captain Ahab offensive and couldn't relate to him at all and his quest. I'd rather read about a secret garden or a love affair from another era!
    I enjoy seeing what others have on their list so keep us informed ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlotte, "Cold Mountain" has been sitting on my bookshelf since it was first published. Like you I felt there had been too much hoopla. When it was made into a movie so quickly, I felt certain it was a book specifically written to be picked up for a movie. With your recommendation I am inclined to take it down and dust it off.

    Rosemary, I am considered quite the oddball around here when I refuse to be dragged to see a movie made from a book I have enjoyed. Like you I love creating my own picture.

    I have loved reading everyone's comments. I hope I have replied to each of you either by email or here. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooohhhhh bonnie, i love that you love to read. i can't read anything longer then a magazine article because i am not able to follow it or build off of anything i read. but i am o.k. with it, i have many other interests that keep me busy!!!

    ReplyDelete