Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Full Box of Crayons

 


Last night Roger and I headed downtown to 'The Rep' to see "A Raisin in the Sun".  Not finding a place to park on the street Roger parked in the parking garage.  As we entered the walkover into the theater a woman stopped me.  With a huge smile on her face she said, "You love purple don't you?"  My first thought was, what an odd assumption.  Without thinking I immediately looked down and saw I had on my eggplant colored all-weather coat and a deep purple sweater over black slacks.  I looked into her smiling face and said, "I do".  She quickly opened her coat showing me her lovely purple outfit and said, "I do too".  I quickly patted her arm and replied, "Well we have good taste, don't we".  She had the most wonderful smile.

This morning as I stood in my closet trying to decide what to wear  for a day out and about running errands,  I thought about my encounter with my new friend in purple.  My closet is pretty much organized by color, so it only took a glance to see between the blue and the red (red and blue make purple) I had five purple sweaters ranging  from eggplant to lavender.   And in my usual obsessive way I began thinking about my favorite colors.

 I've always thought of myself as a "blue girl".  I have blue eyes and I've been told blue makes my eyes bluer.  I can't think of a better reason to really like blue, but other than blue jeans, one blue shirt and a couple of scarves I don't actually own a lot of blue clothing.  I  have a lot of aqua and turquoise, but not true blue.


barn red cabinets
With camera in hand I walked around looking for a color trend.  What I found was . . . .a lot red, some green, a sprinkling of yellow and just the perfect touch of orange...and did I say a lot of red?

I do love the color red, but I have never considered it my absolutely favorite color.  I do seem to be drawn to anything red.   Does that mean it is my favorite color?


 At the beginning of each school year,  I give each child a new box of crayons and ask them to take out their favorite color.  The boys will always pick blue and my girls will pick pink or purple.  I almost always have one child that will empty the box out in front of them looking a bit lost.  When I ask the child, "What is you favorite color?"  They almost always answer, "rainbow".

A child after my own heart!  Yes, I have a lot of red in my home and purple in my closet, but when pressed to select my favorite color, I want to empty out a full box of crayons. 




9 comments:

  1. I've found that I go through phases with colors. For a long time I LOVED yellow, and all yellow things made me happy (and my walls are still yellow from that time). Then I went through a red phase, and I guess I didn't realize how many red things I was buying for our new house (red stand mixer, red rug, red pillows) when Davis one day looked very worried and said, "you're not going to start PAINTING are you?" (although I DO love the barn red cabinets!) Right now, I'm definitely going through a purple phase. I have lots of purple clothes and I'm just generally drawn to the color. So I guess my favorite color is rainbow too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many favorite colors, I can't just choose one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I love your cabinets! They must give you a lift every morning when you walk into your kitchen.

    Blue can be a difficult color to wear, especially if you have warm-toned skin--which I'm guessing you do, given your gravitation toward turquoise and aqua. Your instincts are probably steering you in the right direction.

    I do remember your bright blue eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your kitchen! For a long time my favorite color was pink. Now I just don't know.
    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bonnie. I just met you over on Brenda's blog and, since I always like to check in on a "Bonnie", thought I'd stop by and say hello! Your purple post reminds me of my mother who said "purple is for old people and I shall never wear that color" but who ended up loving purple as do I.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love my red kitchen. It was a really hard decision; it took weeks for me to commit to a shade. My contractor and and painter were not really happy with my decision.

    Charlotte -- I wish I had a warm complexion, but I am very fair. I learned a long time ago the sun and I were never going to be good friends. I do best with clear colors with a blue undertones rather than yellow.

    Gretchan -- pink is a great color. My daughter is all about pink.

    Bonnie -- I am always happy to meet another Bonnie. Isn't there a poem about wearing more purple when you are older? I always link purple with royalty. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, the poem is called, 'Warning' by Jenny Joseph
    'When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me....'
    Purple is my favourite colour to wear and makes me feel most 'me'. I've got dresses, macs, coats, shoes and have had the poem quoted to me a number of times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FANTASTIC post Bonnie... I love your storie, I love your rainbow and I love the colour purple :) My home is decorated in red, yellow and green too. I love blue and similar to you, I am surprised that I do not have more of it.
    One of the little mysteries of life :)

    Thanks for stopping by today Bonnie!

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for posting so late on this...I, too, LOVE your red kitchen! And I've found in my experience, if the contractor doesn't like it, it's probably the RIGHT thing to do! They usually like easy, not creative. I was one of the "rainbow" kids, too. Once, a friend said of me, "Oh, Karin hates blue." I told her I could never hate any color, blue was just the least favorite of all my favorite colors! Karin

    ReplyDelete