Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What is a memory?

"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it".  Gabriel Garcia Marguez

One of my favorite children's books is "Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox.   Wilfrid Gordon is a little boy.  He lives near an "old folk's home" and is friends with many of the residents.  His favorite is Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper, because she has four names just as he does.  Hearing  his mom and dad talking about how sad it is that Miss Nancy has lost her memory, he sets out to help her find  it.   He visits the other residents of the home and asks the question, "What is a memory?"  Each person gives him an answer, "something long ago...something that makes you laugh...something warm". ... He then collects "things" to match the descriptions he was given.  He finds seashells from a trip to the beach a long time ago, a puppet that makes him laugh, a warm egg fresh from the nest.  As he shares his treasures with Miss Nancy, she shares a memory with him. 

I cannot read this story without getting misty eyed.  

What is a memory?

 I love listening to family and friends telling stories from their past.  My dad has a terrific memory and is a wonderful story teller.   I love telling stories.  I love that the way I remember something may not be the same as someone else who shares my story.  Who has it right?  

A memory is like a work of art.  Two people seldom view it the same way.  Everyone one has their own point of view.  I love it!  Just think of the wonderful stories to be told.

What is a memory?

A memory is something solid to hold on to.  Something that keeps you standing when you've had your feet kicked out from under you.

Dear friends,  

What is a memory?

7 comments:

  1. no two memories of all the minutes of our lives and all the people who have ever lived will ever be the same. Isn't that amazing...they're little pieces of our lives that are all our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory is precious, after a while it can be all that is left. This is a lovely posting Bonnie, I don't know the children's book that you mention but am going to search for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I have to find this book! I got a little misty eyed just reading your post. Beautiful!

    (My ravelry name is just paulaniz, should be easy to find and "friend" me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think of my perception of you as so happy and always smiling when we were teenagers. The memory is perhaps true, but I didn't understand the many layers beneath until just recently. It makes me think how we could have all been kinder and more sensitive to one another back then, had we had the experience of who we are now! A lovely post, B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, I still find your memories of me flattering. My daughter and son-in-law read your post and they both said you nailed the description. I don't think we ever remember ourselves as others remember us. That is probably one of the layers. It is a shame so much of our emotional health is developed during those teenage years. Youth can be so cruel. Then we age, and hopefully, get past it.

    Thanks everyone for such a lovely response. I will be using "Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge" in the classroom next month. I will share my children's responses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute story!...memories are something to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie,
    As the oldest sibling I'm always amazed at how differently my siblings and I "remember" things that we were all together for. So much of how you remember and I guess, what you remember, depends on one's own personal experiences and outlook.

    ReplyDelete