Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Bite of Good Luck


Growing up the child of southern parents there were certain traditions that were followed without question.  One such tradition was the obligatory spoonful of black-eyed peas on January 1.

As a child, I cannot tell you how I dreaded those peas.  Our New Year's Day menu usually included pork chops, turnip greens, black-eyed peas, some kind of potato (only because that was about all I would eat) and cornbread.  My momma and daddy were not superstitious people, but no matter how much I protested I was told I had to eat at least a spoonful of peas for good luck.  Now I probably wouldn't have minded so much if I had been allowed to mash them into my potatoes (it didn't matter how potatoes were cooked, once in my plate, with the help of a little Parkay, they became mashed potatoes ).  No, New Year's black-eyed peas had to be virgin peas.  They could not be mixed with anything that was not included in the pot when cooked.

I did a little research and found the idea of eating black-eyed peas for good luck came about during the civil war.  It seems when Sherman's army raided and destroyed  southern pantries and crops, they overlooked  this simple pea. It became a nourishing staple in the southern diet, keeping many from starving.

Through the years I have grown to love black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.  The oddest thing,  I seldom eat potatoes (and I'm not for sure Parkay still exist or if it should).  I am now the one encouraging everyone to eat their black-eyed peas for good luck.

Here is how I  serve up black-eyed peas on the first day of the year. (Not quite my momma's peas.)


Good Luck Pea Dip

Olive oil
1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño , chopped
1 can of black- eyed peas, drained
1 small can diced chilies
Sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Sauté onion, bell pepper, jalapeño in olive oil until tender.  Add garlic and continue until all vegetables  are transparent.
Add drained black-eyed peas and chilies.  Stir in as much cheese as you like.  Cook until cheese is melted and everything is nicely combined.
Serve with tortilla chips ( I like the multi-grain chips)

Note:  I've used both canned and dried peas.  I don't think it makes a difference; I go with convenience

I know I am a little late; may 2011 be a great year for you, with or without the humble black-eyed pea.  

Happy New Year!


3 comments:

  1. Even up here in "the Nawth," we eat our blackeyed peas, greens, and cornbread on New Year's Day. Why tempt fate? The Pennsylvania version is pork and sauerkraut, but being vegetarian, that's out for me. I didn't know the history of why blackeyed peas = good luck, so thank you for that, Miss Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how life comes around full circle? I saw a pillow not long ago that said "Mirror Mirror on the Wall. I am my Mother, after all." Loved it!
    Your black-eyed pea dip sounds yummy!
    Hope you have a blessed 2011~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a blessed New Year, and we are not supersticious at all, but love the traditional New Year's meal, so we had our peas, pork and turnip greens.Jackie

    ReplyDelete