Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hints of Whats to Come

 
This morning while chatting with a dear friend, I mentioned how surprised I was to find my daffodils already peeking out of the ground.  She said hers were coming up as well.   We have had really cold nights, and up until yesterday, the sun has not been a frequent visitor.

This afternoon, while out with Willie, I thought I would check on other parts of the garden.  Here is what I found:

hellebores ready to burst open

ferns
Lilac buds

butterfly bush

mint
peony


coreopsis
plantation verbena

There is a lot of cleaning up to be done, but winter is not over.   Sometimes February is our coldest month.  I will leave the leaves and old plant matter to insulate against the cold.

It is hard to believe just a week and a half ago Willie and I were out taking pictures in this.


While I await the moment I can pull out the garden shears, shovel and hoe, I will be content to sit by the fire with a book  and enjoy the beauty and aroma of my meyer lemon wintering in my sun room,





with one last lemon.

2 comments:

  1. This post gives me hope that there will be a spring. I don't think there's anything better than seeing the first new sprouts of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to be seeing green! I don't think it will be for quite a while yet here :(

    ReplyDelete