Monday, January 10, 2011

Just Breathe



It started snowing around 2:30 yesterday afternoon.  The snowflakes were fat and wet.  It couldn't be described as a whiteout by any stretch; it was beautiful and I didn't want it to stop. 

I thought it would be interesting to take a picture of the same sky ( same general direction) as is posted in my last post, twenty four hours later.
 

Through the years I have been fortunate to live in and visit many regions of the United States where snow is the norm, not the exception.  The winter we lived in Marblehead, Mass. it snowed 15 inches every Friday in January.  I was always amazed that everyone just carried on with their lives.  I would watch, out a back window, as neighbors cross country skied down the streets and  school children headed to school pulling their sleds.  It all seemed so routine.  It didn't take long before Heather and I didn't let "a little snow" keep us inside.

I actually learned to drive (somewhat) in snow while living in Nashville.   We found Bear Valley,  where we all learned to ski, when living in Northern California.    Visiting Santa Fe is always a treat, and to have it snow -- magical.  And today, I am here with my 5 1/2 inches. 

Watching a small fragile snowflake drift from the clouds, through the trees and land perfectly intact will always amaze me and take my breath away. 







5 comments:

  1. Well I think you captured the beauty perfectly - it's still snowing here. I love how it's softly falling and everything is so still. It's especially pretty when the street lights come on and cast a yellow glow on the snow. We are stuck inside today...but that's okay. :)
    Enjoy and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it beautiful? It makes me SO HAPPY!! I had to work (from home) today, but I did take a very long lunch break to build a snowman and play outside with the girls. They found the most amazing collection of icicles and ice formations on the ground under a dripping gutter. (And yes - my pantry and fridge are packed for the week. Although the kids eat a LOT of snacks when they're stuck at home all day!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had snow way down here in NC, too! And although it completely disrupts life in this town (we don't have snowplows!), and I can't wait for it to be gone, it WAS lovely. It was so quiet I could hear the snowflakes falling. Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't the snow beautiful? I really couldn't believe we got as much as we did. So pretty, but I'm glad I don't live in Boston right now. I LOVE Boston, but I like the summer! Love all your pictures!

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last evening, my residents were mesmerized while watching huge flakes softly falling to the ground out the windows. Every season is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete