Thursday, August 9, 2012

We Are What....

"I am a part of all that I have met."
                                                                                       Alfred Tennyson



I believe I have mentioned I receive a quotation through my email each morning.   It is the first thing I check as I slip out of bed and begin on my morning path.   Sometimes I am given a chuckle, sometimes I am delivered something to think about, and sometimes I am given a line that sends me off to the place where I store my memories...my heart. 

And so, with those ten words Mr. Tennyson handed me all three.

The Lady of Shallot - John William Waterhouse 1888
via
(you may find the poem, "The Lady of Shallot"
 and other beautiful illustrations on this site)

My daughter has alway loved books.  This shouldn't have come as a surprise as I actually began reading to her before she was born.  I loved Beatrix Potter and many nights would read Peter Rabbit along with her other creations aloud.    I decorated the nursery with all things Beatrix Potter (and  lots of rabbits) long before I knew if I would bring home a boy or a girl.

File:Peter Rabbit family.jpg
via Wikipedia

Once she arrived Roger found joy in reading to her each night.  It became their nightly ritual.  Books were always found under the Christmas tree, among birthday presents and in in Easter baskets.  Her love of books grew as did our book population and her vocabulary.

When she was four one of the preschool teachers mentioned how proud I must be of my daughter.  "Well yes, I am always proud of her."  I must have had a bit of a quizzical look on my face as she added, "she has read everything in my room this afternoon".  I was stunned!   She was reading?  I am her mother, how could I not know she was reading?

When we got into the car, I ask her why she hadn't read for me.  She said, "because I was afraid you wouldn't read to me anymore".  We began a new ritual... we began reading to one another.



Just as I had devoured The Oz series, every Nancy Drew book in the library, Little Women and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I watched her plow through Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, and Little Women as well as other wonderful books.  Halloween costumes were stitched on my sewing machine, but must often spun from inspiration she first found in a book.    I can still remember her standing at the top of the stairs with hand against a furrowed brow declaring, "I am in the depths of despair".  And, she would have fit in quite well upstairs in the March attic writing for "The Pickwick Papers".

During a parent/teacher conference her fifth grade teacher ask me how I would describe my daughter.  I said, "she is a little bit Laura Ingalls, a little bit of Anne Shirley, and a little bit of Jo March".  I can still remember the teacher's face as she said " That's wonderful!"



I always loved my daughter was influenced, at an early age,  by the characters she found while reading.   I was not in the least surprised when she came home from playing at a friends house with red lipstick on her blouse.  When I ask how she got it on her, she simply said it was blood.  "A. killed me and said 'et tu brute' ".   "Why?"  "We were playing Julius Caesar!"  Silly me, don't all third graders play Julius Caesar?  Yes, I've always thought she had Laura's spunk,  Anne's love of drama and Jo's drive and creativity.  She is all this, and so much more, blended into the her perfect self.


I shared the quotation and my thoughts with her Tuesday and  ask if she remembered spending an afternoon (twenty years ago) searching for a book with Tennyson's poem "The Lady of Shallot".  (It was one of Anne Shirley's favorite poems)  Could we have found it in the States?  Absolutely, but what fun we had finding it in England.


It is still upstairs in her room, a bit tattered and worn.

So...
Lord Alfred Tennyson, sir, you have entered my life once again, 
and I must agree, 
we most certainly are a part of all that we meet, 
especially those we spend time with between the covers of a book.

Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    What a wonderful post for in it you not only recall the enormous importance of books both in the life of your daughter and of yourself, but you also highlight the pleasure of being read to and, most importantly of all, you bring to the attention of us all the joy to be had in reading and the way in which literature can, and does so often, open doors on the wider world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, Thank you. Literature has certainly been one of the greatest influences in my own life. It is probably most responsible for my constant need of information. I have always "preached" if you will read you can accomplish anything.

      Delete
  2. Bonnie, what a nice post. I love reading too!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to you, your daughter and some of my favorite authors! Our two boys enjoyed a number of the books you mentioned and quite a few different ones. Today, their greater pleasure comes from reading rather than watching television. When I have the rare chance, I still read to them!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, We have never been really big fans of television. Even less since our tv was struck by lightening this past spring:) I am sure it will be replaced in time for football season.....There is something wonderful about reading aloud to someone. I love to watch my (school) children's faces when I am reading. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. This post was about love - love of books, and love of your daughter and how they intertwined. It was absolutely beautiful..

    How I loved The Lady of Shalott also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, Thank you. "The Lady of Shalott" is a wonderful poem.

      Delete
  5. Bonnie, I loved this post. As I mentioned in my post about tapioca pudding, love of reading is something I inherited from my mother (and she and her siblings inherited it from their mother). Your daughter sounds like the perfect daughter for ME! Love all the books you mentioned, but I am totally over-the-top about Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, So nice to hear from you. I, too, learned my love of literature from my mother. She was a voracious reader. I know I am a bit prejudice, but I have a pretty perfect daughter. So good to find another Beatrix Potter fan.

      Delete
  6. Hello Bonnie- What a wonderful post. I have read all the same books to my daughter and we too both love the story of 'The Lady of Shallot' in Anne of Green Gables.
    It is such a happy link with a new friend to find you both love the same stories-Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Thank you! It is a wonderful thing to share the love of literature with our children and our friends. I truly believe reading is a great influence of who we become. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. oh bonnie, i really love your passion for reading and books. my husband and i read to our children every night when they were little and they both love to read now!!

    a wonderful entry, have a happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Bonnie! Thank you so much for your kind congratulations!

    And I have to confess, the moment I saw 'The Lady of Shallot,' I thought of Anne!

    What a lovely post about your daughter's inquisitive mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, I love that quote by Tennyson. How proud you must be of your daughter and also the fact that you both share a love of books. I agree with you that the characters and thoughts that we read in books become a part of us. Books have been at the center of my world ever since I was very young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post! As a child, I loved Anne Shirley, I loved Jo March, maybe not so much Julius Caesar. And The Lady of Shallott is still one of my favorite poems.

    My oldest daughter had a similar reaction to learning how to read as your daughter did. Your daughter sounds wonderful, and I can tell that both she and you have had your lives enhanced by books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect gift you passed on to your daughter,the joy of books, she sounds a delight. This brought back a memory of myself, at 12 years old, memorizing Shakespeare s, "To be, or Not to be". I can still recite it. Some of the best times spent with my boys as they were growing up, were in our reading time, every single night. Beatrix Potter made an appearance frequently, of course!
    This is a beautiful tribute to your daughter, she has a rich imagination.
    PS, If you can't find "the books", just email me, you can get them from us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful posting, Bonnie. I can well imagine your daughter. I was a Jo March girl, our elder daughter a Laura Ingalls Wilder and Wee One, when she was not Heidi, was Nancy from Swallows and Amazons. She knew the opening chapters of those books off by heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post. What wonderful memories. I can remember my mom, when I was in sixth grade handing me Gone With The Wind. I thought it then and still to this day think it was my favorite book ever. I have read great books of course, but GWTW captured me and held me prisoner until I finished.

    ReplyDelete