Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer Reading

Much like an ostrich, when thing go awry I look for a place to stick my head.   It seems I've spent the last few weeks waiting on someone.   Just when I thought things were back to normal I find I am once again the one waiting for plumbers, contractors, and landscapers.   

In the past I might have pulled out the knitting needles and knitted away or spent time working in the garden (too hot for either), but this summer I have enjoyed keeping a book in my hand.    I have opened several the last three weeks only to find they were unable to slow my brain and  pull me into their web.   I am certain they are all fine books; I will open them again another day.   It just wasn't our time. 

 I keep a running list of titles on my iPhone.  Or, when browsing bookstores, I will snap a picture of  the books I might want to read.  My book titles are mixed in with names of plants and flowers I want to research for the garden.  I dislike not being able to think of the title of a book or an author's name if I happen to unexpectantly stop by the library or bookstore.  

This is on my to-read list
How and where do you keep lists of things you want to do or read?

With the help of many of you, and by searching the library shelves I did find three books to end my summer reading. 


I was intrigued by the book cover of 13 rue Theresa.  A found box full of artifacts having belonged to a unknown French woman who lived through two world wars?  Having recently uncovered an old camelback trunk given as a gift to a great great aunt myself, I was immediately intrigued with this tale.    The story is told through the writings of the finder of the box, Trevor Straton, an American professor working in Paris.   With each treasure he builds an imaginary story around the life and relationships of the mysterious owner,  Louise Brunet.  Are his imaginings fiction or does be come eerily close to the truth?  And what is the result of his ponderings.  I found this book often times confusing, but well worth the time spent untangling and putting the puzzle together.


I was not at all familiar with The Enchanted April or the author Elizabeth Von Armin.   I will admit I almost passed on this one when I read a review describing it a "ChickLit"  I am so glad I didn't.   This is story of four women wanting to escape their everyday lives.   They combine their resources to rent a castle in the Italian Riviera found in a "for rent" ad.    During their stay bonds are created and attitudes altered.  I found this novel just as intoxicating and magical as the women found San Salvatorie.  This is just a delightful read.  I am hoping to find a copy of this book and the author's other books.  I think she could become a favorite.


A Room with a View  is a favorite of so many of you.  I read it too many years ago to admit; I believe I was in high school.  Picking it up again was like uncovering a new treasure.  There was a sense of deja vu, but I couldn't decide if I was actually remembering or just anticipating.   I fell in love with Lucy Honeychurch as she innocently worked her way through the social rules of the time.  Would she do what was expected or follow her heart.   So many characters to enjoy.  I won't wait another 40 years to reread this wonderful book again.  I've actually added it to my library.

You might notice I took some suggestions from the comments I received on a previous post.   

I'm putting together my list of suggestions for my book group and trying to decide what to take to read on the plane to Ireland.  James Joyce maybe?  Maybe, but probably not.

A few titles I'm looking at for the many hours I will be in the airport or on the plane.

Sleeping With the Enemy
Coco Chanel's Secret War
Hal Vaughn

The Age of Desire
Jennie Fields

The Chaperone
Laura Moriarty

Thank you for all your comments on my last post.  It just is what it is.  Life is an adventure.  I am so blessed in so many ways, this is just one of those hiccups.   I might sound like a bit of a Pollyanna, but I can't let things out of my control and ultimately fixable consume me.  (I do have my fretful moments)   There are just too many good things to acknowledge.   I'll just use this inconvenience as an excuse to escape to the bookstore or out with a friend.

I hope you are having a wonderful week! 

22 comments:

  1. the last paragraph really inspired me!! i don't do well when my life is in disarray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding these to my reading list! There is a wonderful movie based on "Enchanted April" from about ten years ago. I highly recommend it for viewing--especially with a group of good lady friends.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I may have to see if the library has a copy. The book was delightful. I am guessing I will have to order a copy of the book. I have not been able to locate it here.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of snapping a photo of a book when you see it in a bookstore! Such a smart idea!

    Have you ever read any of Lisa See's books? I loved her series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I it so much easier than trying to write it in my notes, although I do that as well.

      Delete
  4. Great idea to take book/title pictures with your phone. Enjoy Ireland, I wish I was going too. North, South, East, West?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Dublin. I am pretty excited. I have a little time to plan. Oh I wish you were going as well.

      Delete
  5. Hello Bonnie

    You have mentioned some great reads here. I have not read, but saw the movie, Enchanted April and loved it.
    Joyce might be too heavy to read on the plane to Ireland. When are you going? Maybe we shall be on the same airplane and if so, let's just chat and forget about reading.
    Have a great week

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I emailed you. What a treat it would be if we ended up on the same airplane. Several people have mention the movie, "The Enchanted April". I will have to check it out. I am dying to see who the actors might be.

      Delete
  6. I pin my books on Pinterest and then before a trip to the library I click on the list...then click on the library website to see which one has it and which direction I need to plan my errands around ;) I'll be pinning the ones you have mentioned here as I have not read them. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find you and follow! I am on pinterest as well. I don't have a "to read" board. That is an idea!

      Delete
  7. I first saw Enchanted April on VHS roughly 15-18 years ago. I fell in love with it. And when I found the book at a thrift store, I quickly read it and fell in love with it as well. I also have A Room with a View but haven't read it yet.

    And what a brilliant idea of taking a picture of the book you want with your phone. I seldom buy new books and almost always come across what I want at the many thrift stores I frequent. I may have to wait a while, but they eventually show up. And the ones I really, really want now? They end up under my Xmas tree.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I love finding second books. I like to imagine who read them prior to me. I can sit and dream up stories about their life before me. I love to find books under the Christmas tree.

      Delete
  8. your list sounds great!! I am always too looking for new books to read...I am drawn to the classics but my book club keeps me current.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annmarie, I have been drawn to the classics this summer and to period pieces as well. My book group helps me step out of the box. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  9. I keep a list of books I want to buy at Half Price in the notes on my phone. I keep a list of books I want to read at Goodreads.com which has an iPhone app that comes in handy at the library or bookstore etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianna, I will look you up on Goodreads. I am on as well. I will check out the app.

      Delete
  10. Bonnie, yes, however worthy a book is, it's got to be right for you at the time to stop you in your tracks.
    Elizabeth von Arnim ( Australian-born! ) is best known for 'Elizabeth and Her German Garden'.
    E M Forster was a very fine writer; my favourite is still 'Passage to India'.
    Did you know there's a castle in Italy you can go to for reading holidays? It's in rural countryside in Bologna and has only a small number of guests at any one time. I believe you can help garden and cook to pay your way - not too sure how this works. Its Castello di Galeazza, and it has a web page: www.galeazza.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, May I leave for Italy today???? I have my daughter looking for "Elizabeth and Her German Garden" for me. I have been so disappointed in my search for several classics in book stores here. I think I am going to need to resort to going on-line. "Passage to India" is on my list. It sounds intriguing.

      Seriously, I am going to research the Italian castle you are telling me about. Thanks bunches.

      Delete
  11. Dear Bonnie,

    I came to you via Zuzu's blog and I have enjoyed reading through your list of books. I have enjoyed a few of Elizabeth von Arnim's books, The Enchanted April, being the first I read. The Jennie Fields' book has now captured my curiosity.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Best wishes,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by today Bonnie - somehow I wasn't a Follower and I've been missing your great book/life posts!

    What a good idea to take pics of book covers you spot for future reading, I must start doing that too. I love stunning covers and admit they often make me buy a book! This one I'm taking to OZ is a light read according to Marilyn who gifted me with it - sometimes better than getting into a big heavy novel when traveling. The other one I'm saving for a huge trip early next year is 'The Time in Between' by Maria Duenas. I'm now finishing up 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern - have you read it? I have not succumbed to an e-reader yet but may have to consider one with all this travel going on!

    Ireland - how magical. I hope you have an amazing visit and can share some stories and photos with us later.
    Bon voyage - Mary

    ReplyDelete