Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Little Blown Away

"You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace."
Frank McCourt




I read Angelia's Ashes many years ago and loved it.   I remember waking early just to spend a hour or so reading and weeping before anyone else began to stir.  My family benefited greatly by my reading this book.  I was so distraught over the poverty and hunger McCourt  described throughout his story I would fix enormous breakfasts (cooking through tears) just because I could.  It was one of those books that when you close the cover you find you have been changed.   I try very hard to not take anything for granted and to be thankful for all with which I have been blessed.

With all that said  I'm having to work a bit at finding the silver lining right now, but I know there is one.  Friday I finally hit the breaking point and needed to have my moment.  I knew I no longer had control of my surroundings and didn't (couldn't) talk to anyone.  I was either going to snap or start sobbing.  The best thing for me was going to be to just keep my mouth shut.  

I work with two wonderful women (I actually work with thirteen wonderful women) who can read "my deer in the headlight" expressions.   When I walked into school Friday one looked at me and ask how things were and said, "You are going to cry aren't you?"  She allowed me to walk by and I could feel her protection the rest of the morning.  

The second dear friend stood with me and listened while I explained how out of control I was feeling, tears pooling under my eyes.  This in itself helped me regain my composure and a sense of control.

We have been both literally and figuratively blown away here at Living Life.  After having two plumbers and my contractor in to tell me what I should do about the water seeping up through the floors, the insurance company finally took charge.  They sent a "clean up" crew in Thursday evening and within fifteen minutes had found the leak.  The leak was not in the shower in the master or the tub in the hall bathroom.  It was in the wall behind a sink in the upstairs bathroom.  

By 8:00 p.m. they had ripped off baseboards and wood flooring.  They brought in industrial fans and dehumidifiers.


By 9:00 p.m.  they realized there was too much water for the dehumidifiers, left and returned with equipment to pump the water out of the house.

   
A third plumber came in Friday morning, and after making five holes in the kitchen ceiling, one in the family room, one in my studio wall and one under the sink finally found a way to stop the leak.  

Tomorrow the plumber will return and reseal the marble shower and recaulk all the bathtubs.  The appraiser with be in to assess the damage.   The fans and dehumidifiers will remain for another week.  The clean up guys come in everyday to take moisture readings.   Once all is dry the reconstruction will begin.  

As I read the above quotation I remembered the time reading Angelia's Ashes and the impact it had.  I had my moment and I am back.  I still have little if any control over what is going on inside my home.     I do, however, have control over my mind and how I choose to handle the situation.  This I know all will be put back to normal in a month or so.

Oh, and you have to find the humor in every situation.  Friday morning I walked through the family room with a plate of toast looking for a quiet place for a bite of breakfast.   As, I passed through the collection fans my bread was blown off the plate and sent sailing through the air.   I constantly have that  much sought after windblown look.  Today.....I choose to laugh.

What can I say....it is what it is!
Fortunately it is only my house (how blessed I am to have a house), brick and mortar, needing to be fixed, and it can and will be.  I'm over it.  Nothing more needs to be said.

I may be in and out for a couple of weeks.  I will keep up with you though.  

I hope you can find a little humor in what ever bridge you find yourself crossing today. 

32 comments:

  1. How unpleasant and frustrating. I hate it when my life gets out of control. I'm sure you were thinking of the McCourts sewage flooded home.

    On a happier note Elisabeth von Arnim was quite a character. I recommend her autobiographical book Elizabeth's German Garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, There was just so many horrors the McCourt family faced all as a result of unfathomable poverty.

      I have several folks keeping an eye out for "Elizabeth's German Garden". I can't find any of Elisabth von Arnim's books here.

      So good to hear from you. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. Poor you, Bonnie! I`m glad you`re feeling better about the whole mess though!

    Sue
    xp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thank you! All will be well. And, I believe that to be the blessing in this story. All "can" be made well. Bonnie

      Delete
  3. I was hoping the water problem would be solved and it sounds like it has been. But oh my, what patience you have . . . hold on just a bit longer . . . I think there is a bright and cheerful light at the end of the long, leaky tunnel!!!

    I need to reread Angela's Ashes . . . such a daunting story of life, one that tears at the soul and one we should read and listen to with compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I am truly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.....I think! I hope! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I don't think anyone would have blamed you for crying...how frustrating it must have been to not know the source of a major water issue. Glad they have found and stopped the flow. Praying that reconstruction goes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianna, I do believe we are on our way out of of the puddles. All will be well and back to normal with time. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Oh you poor dear. I'm sorry to hear of your woes...and woes they are! I do hope this will be the end very soon so that you may move onto rebuilding. It's good to lean of friends in time of need. Don't forget that, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, You are so sweet. Truly all of this will pass and we will look back and say, "Do you remember the summer when..."? Hopefully!

      Delete
  6. I did get a chuckle imagining that toast flying off your plate ;).....as life progresses I find myself letting go of the control I once thought was so essential to my mental well being...as I begin to understand every bit of minutia in my life is an integral part of God's plan for me...I am better able to adapt and adjust...not as willingly as I would like sometimes but that is what great friends and family are for to help us gain our perspective back. God bless you and your wonderful support system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, Of course, you had to laugh. It was hysterical! I am a true believer we are only given what we can handle. In the scheme of life, these issues, no matter how trying, are really minor. Annoying...certainly, but minor.

      Delete
  7. Hello Bonnie

    Good for you for managing to get though all of this and that it can only improve from here. We had the furnace back up in our old farmhouse and when we returned a week later the cobwebs and soot were all through the house. Fortunately for insurance and a month of cleaning, by a cleaning service, brought it back to normal.
    Keeping you in prayer
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, Yes, it sounds as though you understand from which I speak. It can only go up from here. Fortunately my trip is once again on the schedule. Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts.

      Delete
  8. Oh, sweet darling, so sorry for the huge mountain that is before you. As my mama would say, you go ahead and have yourself a good cry and you'll feel better. Don't try to suck it up as some would say, just let it go.
    Thank you for your comments and supporting me. Ihope my encuragement today helps you in some way.
    When you feel like giving up, just tie a knot and hang on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Thank you so much. My mountain is small compared to what stands before so many. I just needed a moment to gain my perspective. I have some exciting things to look forward to. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. Hello Bonnie, You have my full sympathy. Nothing I have been through with this place can quite match your experience, but if I tell you that we have had to invest in an agricultural-sized pump..
    Incidents like the flying toast and the quiet kindness of your colleagues can make such a difference to how we handle things!
    You will survive this and your house will feel like home again - which is in no way meant to diminish how awful it has been. Trudge another mile, you WILL get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, Oh my I can only imagine the size of an agricultural pump. Things are improving. We are hoping the loud fans and dehumidifier will be out of here in the next day or two. Hopefully our hearing will return. Thank you for your kinds words. By October, this will all be a memory.

      Delete
  10. Dear Bonnie, we have been through just such an experience as you are having and I can well recall how low and out of control I felt - oh, the sound of that drip, drip, drip from the ceiling into a bucket of water from some unknown source. At least your insurers have sprung into action quickly, which is more than ours did. Eventually everything was replaced or renewed and we were more spick and span than before the deluge! Luckily I have a very practical husband who keeps things in perspective. And your piece of toast, well, all that you can do is laugh :-)

    You mentioned two of my favourite books in your previous posting, 'The Enchanted Garden' (A must-read every spring in England when it is pouring with rain and the black brollies are out) and 'Room with a View', although Forster's postscript to the story always annoys me. But I HATED 'Angela's Ashes'. We discussed it at our book group when it was first published and it created the most heated and angry debate. It touched a very raw nerve.

    Keep smiling dear Bonnie - all will be well, and all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, Thank you for your kind encouraging words. In a few weeks this will all be a distant memory. Fact....leaks happen in old houses. They are an inconvenience, but how fortunate we are to own a home and have the means to make repairs.

      Oh, I am so sorry a book caused an angry debate. I have experienced a couple of them in my own group. I will most definitely reread "The Enchanted Garden". I am hoping to find a copy for my own bookshelf. I am also anxious to read, "Elizabeth's German Garden". It has been recommended by so many.

      Have a wonderful week! Bonnie

      Delete
  11. Oh dear! I knew you had water problems but didn't realize the extent. I was feeling pretty low along with you until I came to the part about your toast whizzing across the room and your windblown hair--I then had a good laugh!! Hope all is back to normal soon.

    I have not read Angela's Ashes.


    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Yes the toast was my turning point. The hair? Well, I am just keeping it pulled up in a barrette. It will be back as good as new soon......I've been told:)

      You never really appreciate how good life is until there is a little disruption. Have a wonderful week, and create something wonderful so I can live vicariously while I am out of the kitchen. Bonnie

      Delete
  12. Hang in there Bonnie and let the tears flow -- it helps. I'm so sorry you're going through such a tough time with this. You amaze me with the way you're keeping such a positive attitude about it.I would have cracked a long time ago. The toast flying off your plate did make me laugh.

    It'll be over soon-- hang in there.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, Thank you! Things are improving day to day. Once all the fans and loud contraptions are out, it will be much better. Things should be back to normal in a few weeks. Life truly is an adventure. Have a wonderful week! Bonnie

      Delete
  13. Ugh. I'm so sorry! This is much worse than it sounded when you mentioned it. It's good they were able to find it. The plumbing in my upstairs bathroom is on the outside of the wall. It was a retrofit and looks a little funny but I've always thought that if anything ever springs a leak, it will certainly be easy to see...and fix.

    I laughed out loud when I read about the flying toast. It's nice you were able to find some humor.

    I hope everything gets repaired and back to normal soon.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, The situation digressed after I mentioned it. We were assured by two different plumbers there was no active leak.....wow were they WRRRRONG! Thanks for your comment.... I am going to escape for a bit and when I return life will continue. How lucky is that? Have a wonderful week. Bonnie

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, I'd send the kittens over to make you laugh but I'm afraid they might add to the destruction.

    Having had the leak that wouldn't stop for about 6 months last year I feel your pain v. keenly.

    Though you are living in chaos there truly seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

    Keep your eye on the prize.

    Big hugs from Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Thank you for your kind comment. I think the kittens would probably keep Willie jumping. How entertaining that would be. All is looking up. I have an escape planned. Bonnie

      Delete
  15. Bonnie, oh my goodness, hang in there! This does sound very difficult and challenging, and I am sure that like most of us, you feel disoriented when your environment is a mess. I loved that quote from Frank McCourt. It is so true. Just stay strong but allow yourself to share your feelings with your friends. You will feel better and they will understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, It seems the worse is probably behind us (keeping fingers crossed). I am going to channel Scarlett O'Hara, take a break and think about it tomorrow....or maybe the next. It will all be waiting for me I am quite sure. Thank you for your sweet comment. I hope you have something fun planned for the week. Bonnie

      Delete
  16. So sorry about your leak - we've had our share of those this year too. Came home from a trip in the Spring and were told we had flooded our entire street for two days until the city came and shut down our water! Then a plumber had to dig not one but two caverns in the front yard to find the broken pipe. Our water bill was huge but they did give us a discount! Another leak was under the house in the crawl space! I'm ready to move!

    I'm glad you told us about your toast blowing away - now that was funny and I felt better knowing your sense of humor is still intact.

    Yes, I think 'Angela's Ashes' changed many of us and in many ways - an amazing story.

    Hang in there dear - hope all dries out soon.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dearest Bonnie,
    I know how you feel, as we went through some extremely difficult years. Coming to the understanding that we cannot possibly be in complete control of our lives was a gift. I now know that no matter what comes, we are not alone and we will get through it with help (from more directions than we could ever imagine).
    Big hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete