Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eggplant




Do you like eggplant?

I want to like eggplant.
I love its rich purple colors.
I like the look of all the different varieties of the vegetable, but I am just not a big fan.

However,  at least once each summer, while browsing the vendors at the Farmer's Market,  I allow that beautiful purple orb to seduce me.    Sometimes I will come home with little miniatures stripped in creams and purples.   Another time it might be the big almost black one that jumps into my market bag.

This year I picked up a small bright violet eggplant and brought it home.  I set it on the counter and began perusing my cookbooks and magazines for a recipe that I thought might change my mind about this vegetable.

I found a recipe in a Southern Living for Chicken with Ratatouille.   Having all the ingredients I set out peeling, chopping, and sautéing.  I now think I have the perfect recipe for my yearly obsession with the eggplant.


(The recipe calls for frying the chicken tenderloins.  I chose to grill chicken breasts)

Farmer's Market Ratatouille
(inspired by Southern Living)

1 small purple onion, chopped
1/2 of a medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
olive oil
1 small yellow squash, chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup chopped basil
sea salt
pepper

Heat olive oil over medium high heat until tender.  Add squash, garlic and bell pepper and saute' for about 5 minutes.  Add tomato. basil, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring just until tomatoes are warmed.  4 servings.

Bon Appetit'!


Eggplant might be more than a pretty vegetable after all.





15 comments:

  1. I also find it so pretty but am not a fan. I'm glad you found a way to prepare it to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant is more than a pretty face! At the end of each summer, I gather up various eggplants, tomatoes, and other vegetables that I want to "squirrel" away for the winter and turn them into a large pot of ratatouille. I freeze it in pint containers to use with pasta, etc.. I'm going to add your recipe to our winter menu.

    Happy school year!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This a great idea! I think I might have do this before they disappear. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Try coating with egg and crumbs; bake until crisp, turning once; and serve awith Marinara sauce, too. May try this tonight, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a bit like eggplant parmesan. I like it when other fix it. I've not been very successful.

      Delete
  4. Hello Bonnie:
    We adore aubergines, as they are known to us. Tímea, our cook, regards them with huge suspicion as something foreign and so, very sadly, they never appear in the dining room.

    May we come to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, I much prefer the name aubergines to eggplant. You are always most welcome at my dining table.

      Delete
  5. My favorite eggplant recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spaghetti-with-Eggplant-and-Tomato-Sauce-11466 Baking it this way makes it sweet, SO good with the tangy tomato.

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE eggplant. Davis hates it. That means I don't get to eat it very often, and that is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the dilemma. It happens at our house as well. Thanks for the recipe.

      Delete
  6. i love the way you cook!! all of your ingredients are fresh and light and the dish is always beautifully plated!!

    i love eggplant and this looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Thank you. You are always too kind. I try. You should try this recipe, so quick and I really loved it. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. Also not a fan although I do think they are lovely to look at. Years ago when we had a large plot in a community garden, my husband planted six eggplants. They grew beautifully and produced many vegetables. I went to neighbor after neighbor asking them if they would like one or two or three. I usually went home with all of them. We have never planted them since.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arleen, I understand! I think it might be categorized as one of the misunderstood vegetables? Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete