Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where Were You?

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."  
Zora Neale Hurston


There are events in everyone's life that no matter how many years pass when someone brings up the subject you can tell them exactly where you were and what you were doing.  In my 56 years I have had a few.


I was in the fourth grade reading when the classroom door opened,  the principal walked in and told us to put our heads down on our desk.  She and the teacher began whispering and she left.  Mrs. Barnett then announced President Kennedy had been killed.   I remember looking up as she sat down and put her head in her hands.   My mother was one of the first parents to show up at school to take me home.


And, on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I left my home headed for school.  I had early morning room duty that day and had left home earlier than usual.  I was stopped at a traffic light waiting for the turn signal when a radio newscaster announced a plane had flown off course and crashed into one of the towers of The World Trade Center.  I remember thinking how odd and turned the volume up on the radio hoping to hear what they thought might have happened.  The light changed and I turned into the intersection.  I had not traveled far when it was announced with disbelief a second plane had just crashed into the other tower.  I remember saying out loud to no one, "this is not an accident".    I called my husband when I had a break.  I heard the anxiety in his voice when he said, "A third plane has hit the Pentagon.   We are under attack, have you talked to Heather?" Heather was in school watching the events unfold on a television in her classroom.  Last night she shared with me her memories of that morning .  As teachers, we carried on our day as best as possible trying to have a normal day.  I remember spending long periods of time on the playground watching children play and talking quietly with other teachers.  Parents arrived during the day to collect their children to take home.  A few of the schools closed early.  No one really knew what was happening or would happen.  Everyone just wanted to gather what was theirs and seek comforted at home.  We spent days listening and watching as this tragedy unfolded before our eyes.  It was the day we found out we were not invincible.  It changed each of us and our country forever.

We must never allow the horrific events of  September 11 melt into a paragraph somewhere in the middle of  a fourth grader's history book.  When we forget or minimize any crime against humanity we become complacent and risk the events to be repeated.



 

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, I still cannot watch footage from that day - it feels like yesterday. I was in college and that day didn't have any morning classes, so Davis and I were asleep. I woke up a few minutes after the first plane hit, and I logged onto my computer. The first thing I saw on the AOL homepage was a photograph of the smoking WTC - at first I thought it was a special effects image from some new movie out. But then I read the headline, and just then a new headline came up that a second plane hit. I woke up Davis and we turned on the radio and tried to figure out what was going on. I had to work that morning, and I remember going through most of the rest of the day in a daze - watching glimpses of the news when I could or Davis would call and tell me more things. On the way home, the only thing I could think to do, was to stop at Walmart and buy a little American flag - I went home and stuck it out our apartment window. We have had an American flag flying outside our home every day since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember so clearly. I'm moved to tears still when I think about it. That was such a somber and scary time especially here in DC. Shortly after we had the mail poisonings and then the sniper. It felt like the end of the world.

    I figured out how to install a flag stand to my front porch and did the same thing. I'm inspired to make sure it stays out all the time at MGH now. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Webb, thank you!

    Julie, We also put up a flag the night of 9/11 as did so many neighbors along our street. We are now the only house with a flag. We are on our third flag; I know it will not be the last. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will never forget. God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do wonder how all this media attention affects those survivors or the families who lost their loved ones on that day. It must be very difficult for them to have it so graphically replayed every year. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Start Over, I don't know. I hope they see it as a country who does not want to forget their loved ones did not just pass away, they were taken away in a most vile crime. There is a country mourning with them. I do not want to see it again, but I do not want to forget how violent it was. I do believe with the memorial we will move from remember to memorializing. I have shed many tears today as I have watched and listened to both those left behind and those who survived. The children, it is the children who have moved me so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were driving into Chicago yesterday and one "commenter" said that we "have to forget before we can heal". I wonder how many can do that? Put that day, and the terrible days that followed, out of mind? Honestly, it is as fresh in my mind as the day it happened. Am I still filled with anger? No. Maybe that is sort of forgetting and healing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete