Monday, September 26, 2011

Delicious Autumn


“Delicious autumn! 
My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird
 I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumn."
  -- George Eliot


I love autumn!
It sends me back to the kitchen after a summer of salads
and grilled dinners.
We haven't had fabulous temperatures...it is all relative.
After the temps we were gifted with several weeks ago, 
it is now at least pleasant.

Yesterday I found the above lovely pie pumpkin at the market; I couldn't resist bringing it home.  Roger has been hinting he would like some pumpkin bread.   One little pumpkin yields plenty of meat for two loaves of bread with some leftover.  I am thinking maybe, a roasted butternut squash and pumpkin soup.  

The recipe I use for pumpkin bread is over twenty years old,  given to me by a friend from another time and place.    I look forward to pulling out the faded and stained recipe page each year and gathering all the wonderfully aromatic spices like cloves, nutmeg and allspice, to name a few.  I can't help, as I read over the recipe, remembering the mornings my friend and I spent together chatting about life over a cup of cinnamon coffee and a slice of her warm pumpkin bread.

Yesterday, I decided to change it up a bit.  Inspired by an article in Southern Living about pecans, I thought I would try throwing in a cup of toasted pecan pieces.

Pumpkin Bread with Pecans

3 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs, room temperature and beaten
2 cups  cooled pumpkin (or 1 15 oz. can)
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg (I prefer freshly grated)
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2/3 cup water
1 cup pecan pieces, toasted


Preheat oven to 350 F
Cream sugar and oil
Add eggs and pumpkin
Combine dry ingredients
Add to pumpkin mixture, alternating with water.
Mix well.
Fold in pecans.
Pour into 2 well greased and floured 9" x 5" loaf pans
Bake for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, or until wooden pick comes out clean.


One for now and one for the freezer.
Bon Appetit'!

I hope you are on your way over... I'll brew the coffee!




18 comments:

  1. oooohhhh it looks heavenly and i'll bet the house smells amazing!! i need to bake something, anything!!

    i'm on my way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'd love to share a slice and a cup of coffee with you. I'm anxious to get into the kitchen with the spices of autumn. With highs in the low 60s (very low), heat from the oven will be most welcome!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had pumpkin bread but it sounds and looks lovely. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful and I can almost smell it now. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be there in a few minutes! It smells divine. I just love using old recipes - especially those that came from old friends. They are always stained and dribbled on... and filled with memories. A great way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not thrilled with the chill in the air but I can't wait for all the food that goes with fall. Pumpkin bread is my all time favorite and I love the smell that lingers after it comes out of the oven. Hope your enjoying the season change ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie: I have terrible luck with jams so it didn't cross my mind to use the figs in that way. Ours were so good that we ate a lot of them fresh.
    Maybe I should go back and buy that hydrangea. Seems like quite a bargain compared to yours.

    Don't give the use of that quote a second thought. I have a book that I jot down quotes in that I like and use them frequently.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that makes me so hungry and I am on this damn diet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Webb, Come on over...we'll have a party. Bonnie

    Arleen, Pumpkin has so many nutrients I classify pumpkin bread as health food...ha!ha!ha! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pumpkin bread, I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, now that sounds yummy! I bet it smells so good too... will pass this on to hubby, the baker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, I'm copying this one down! Thank you, Bonnie!!!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look gorgeous, Bonnie! I'm very tempted to tweak it for British ingredients and have a go.

    After complaining about our 13 degrees of chilliness after your last post, we are currently enjoying a mini heatwave, or 'Indian Summer' here! Doesn't stop me imagining the heavenly, autumnal scent of your pumpkin bread though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! Thanks for the slice of warm pumpkin bread and the cup of brew. It was just right with the added pecans. lol~

    I love your phrase "a friend from another time and place." Conjures up so many past friends of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane, I would be interested in what ingredients you would exchange? Bonnie

    Paula, I was very happy with the pecans, as well. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!...that sounds and looks delish.I don't drink coffee so put the tea kettle on and I'll
    be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bonnie... actually, looking at it again, the only ingredient I would need to change would be the canola oil :-)
    Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete