Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Buddha in the Attic


Monday evening when so many were snuggling in with a bowl of popcorn ready to watch a new season of favorites on television.  I curled up in my favorite chair with a book I had picked up earlier in the day while browsing in the bookstore.

Immigration in US History
image via Salem Press

"On the boat we were mostly virgins.  We had long black hair and flat wide feet and were not very tall.  Some of us had eaten nothing but rice gruel as young girls and had slightly bowed legs, and some of us were only fourteen years old and were still young girls ourselves.  
Some of us came from the city, and wore stylish city clothes, 
but many more of us came from the country and on the boat we wore the same old kimonos we'd been wearing for years--faded hand-me-downs from our sisters that had been patched and redyed many times.  Some of us came from the mountains, and had never before
 seen the sea, except for in pictures, and some us were the daughters of fishermen who had been around the sea all our lives.  Perhaps we had lost a brother or father to the sea, or a fiance, or perhaps someone we loved had jumped into the water on unhappy morning and simply swum away, and now it was time for us, too, to move on."


So begins Julie Otsuka's newest release The Buddha in the Attic.




Jule Otsuka hands us the incredible heart wrenching story of a group of young Japanese women brought to California as mail-order brides.  They leave mothers and homes with a picture a beautiful young husband tucked in a sleeve and a promise of a better life concealed in the heart, only to find something different.

The Buddha in the Attic is a collection of narratives written in the first person of "we".   It begins with their journey across the ocean to a new land to begin a new life.  Ms. Otsuka chooses to end the book, not  with the voices of the Japanese women, but of the people they worked for and lived among, who one morning awoke to find this group of people gone; homes deserted, shops closed, pets left behind.  

This slim (a mere 129 pages), but incredibly profound book is more poetry than novel.   I did not budge from my chair until I reached the last period.  

Happy Reading!   

10 comments:

  1. i love your enthusiasm toward reading, it sounds like an awesome read. and the new header photo....beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie:
    We are always most interested to know what others read and to have the kind of recommendation which you give here. 'The Buddha in the Attic' sounds to be a most moving and unusual narrative and a book which, certainly, we shall add to our ever growing list to be read. From your extract we see exactly what you mean by the 'poetry' of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. Have you ever read any of Lisa See's books? I sure enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is on my list and I'm happy to have your review. I love a book that's hard to put down. We are basking in a high of 60 degrees today. It would be a good day to curl up with a good book if I didn't have so many chores and errands staring me in the face. Maybe later!

    Happy autumn!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arleen, I hope you enjoy it. So much is said in such a small amount of pages. Bonnie

    Bonnie,
    I am so jealous of your 60 degrees. It is in the 80's here. Hard to think of it being Autumn. I am so glad to hear you already had the book on your list. Enjoy! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely comment about the song on my blog :-)

    You have really sold this fascinating book to me. I can't wait to read it now and I'll have to hunt out its chocolate and strawberry cover and settle down to read it one sitting as you did!

    Note to the two Bonnie's... hard to imagine either of your temperatures: it's 13 degrees here in Yorkshire, UK! Brrrrrr.
    Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Gray, Thirteen degrees! Oh my! This would seem to be the perfect time to cuddle up with a nice blanket, a good book and, depending on the time of day, a pot of tea or a glass of wine. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good read. It will be on my wish list as soon as I finish writing this. Thanks for the review. I look forward to others. Glad you had the time to relax. When I get my hands on a good book, can't put it down til it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find. I'm looking forward to reading this book. My neighbor's sister-in-law is Japanese and I'll pass this along to her.

    I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about my mom. She will be forever missed and kept in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete