Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wick

When a thing is wick it has a life about it
Maybe not a life like you and me
But somewhere there's a single streak of green inside it
Now come and let me show you what I mean
When a thing is wick it has a light around it
Maybe not a light that you can see
But hiding down below a spark's asleep inside it
Waiting for the right time to be seen

You clear away the dead parts
So the tender buds can form
Loosen up the earth and
Let the roots get warm
Let the roots get warm

Come a mild day, come a warm rain
Come a snowdrop, a-comin' up
Come a lily, come a lilac
Come to call
Callin' all of us to come and see




Watching the devastation and tragedy continuing to  unfold in Japan; and, remembering New Zealand is still recovering, I find hope for healing and rebirth in the garden.  I believe in miracles...a babies birth amid disaster, finding a lost loved one, a helping hand when least expected, a flower rising from cold dark earth.  They may seem small surrounded by so much heartache; they are miracles none the less.

A few things making me smile today.

Sweet Woodruff


Huechera, Key Lime


Huechera, Peach Melba


Clematis beginning to climb


an abundance of day-lilies



Japan has entered its winter.   Watching how they are reacting to and dealing with this horrible time, I am confident they will see another spring, and be stronger.  They will find the life of what is "wick".

Last night I heard a Japanese citizen respond, when asked how they were coping,  "We do what we can do, and we leave the rest to God".   I need to follow this example more often.

I hope you find something that makes your heart happy today.

When a thing is wick
And someone cares about it 
And comes to work each day
Like you and me

Will it grow?

It will.

Then have no doubt about it
We'll have the grandest garden ever seen. 
"Wick", The Secret Garden (Broadway Musical)  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Bonnie. Japan certainly needs lots of miracles about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hyacinths are in bloom, and your sweet woodruff has emerged...that's a sure sign that your spring has arrived.

    ReplyDelete