Friday, March 4, 2011

Putting Winter Behind Me!

"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."  Paul Sweeney




Spring is sixteen days away, give or take an hour or two.  I could actually add a couple of books to my list if I waited until the actual turn of the clock, but I am feeling a little impatient these days.  You would think I could have really flown through several titles with all the days out of school for snow, but I didn't.  I think I have spent too much time daydreaming about spring, perusing garden books and magazines and reading all the wonderful blogs I've found and follow.  Anyway, short as it may be, here is my winter reading list.

 The Wives of Henry Oades, Johanna Moran
(I enjoyed it, interesting story, fairly predictable)
The Doomsday Book, Connie Willis
(totally off my radar and I loved it)
The Woman in White, Willkie Collins
(I don't know how I feel about this book.  The characters are
 fabulous, great story; tedious reading.  I just love saying 
saying the name, Count Fosco)
Elizabeth Street, Fabian Laurie
(another off my radar books and loved it)
Waves, Virginia Woolf
(I probably didn't give this book the time it deserved.  I couldn't 
get a good grasp of the story, so I read it as I would poetry.
I read it for the words and the way the words were put together.)
 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
(you already know my crazy experience with Alice)

Take a break from digging, pour yourself a glass of ice tea and join me on the garden bench with a good book.

I want to hear what you are reading.

7 comments:

  1. I'm reading a book for my Muse book group right now. It's "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas. I was just telling my husband that the best two books I've read over the last year were: "The Immortal Cell of Henrietta Lack's" and "The Help". I cannot get them out of my mind.

    Have a great weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure was an ambitious reading list! It took me 3 or 4 times to get through The Waves...I had to read it in stages. The first time I lost all translation of it!
    Now I'm reading The Secret Garden and dream of being Mary hiding out in a hidden garden. It's very easy to forget that it is essentially a children's book...every page I learn something new about the power of love, healing and nurturing.
    I have to say though that my all time favorite novel is Great Expectations - I've read it more times than I can count. I actually like the movie version a little more than the novel...it has a secret garden and a mysterious old mansion just like The Secret Garden. I see a theme here! :)

    I just may watch that this evening...with coffee from my new coffee station!
    Enjoy your weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie...I adored "The Help". Growing up in the south I recognized each character. I love the name of your group.

    Sarah...I, too love "The Secret Garden". I always think of it this time of year. I suppose I dream of having a secret garden as well. You might enjoy "The Forgotten Garden", Kate Morton. There is a surprise character cameo. As I mentioned, I am not for sure I gave "The Waves" the attention it deserved. It is a book I will need to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give "The Waves" another couple of tries, Bonnie. It unfolds like a flower, a little more with each reading.

    I'm re-reading "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout with my graduate students, and then we'll dive into "The Girl in the Flammable Skirt" by Aimee Bender and "Love Medicine" by Louise Erdrich. A friend just gave me a book called "Pack of Two" that she says I must read, so that's on the list too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Waves" is on my reread list. I am going to tackle them again this summer. I loved "Olive Kitteridge". Thanks for helping me continue to add to my impossible list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you visited the cottage today and commented. I've added your blog to my recommended list too. Your fiddlehead header is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I'm late to this conversation. Thank you for sharing your list. I always like hearing about what others have enjoyed (or not so much) reading. I'm very curious about The Waves now, too - I'm definitely adding that to my list. Right now I'm reading Faithful Place for my book club selection. Just started it, but it seems like it might be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete