Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday's Book Talk

Sometimes you pick up a book on a whim and
find a new favorite author.


Sometimes, while searching for a title on your to-read
list, you find a book that takes your breath away.


I found Gail Godwin by accident so many years ago.  I packed one too few books
for a spring beach trip and was forced (my arm was being twisted;) to visit Seaside's local bookstore, Sun Dog Books, for added reading material.  While browsing the shelves, I picked up a book totally based on the title,  A Southern Family.
I couldn't put it down, and have been a fan of Ms. Godwin since.

via Goodreads

A few weeks ago packing for a trip I began searching all of my different book lists for a book to take with me.  I have a list on my phone, pictures of books on my phone, a list in the back of my book journal, and an ever growing list on Goodreads.

While browsing the list, a book suggestion popped up on the sidebar.  I focused in on the author's name, Gail Godwin.  Without a second thought, I knew Flora was going to be my next book.

Helen tells the story of the summer of her tenth year.  The grandmother who has cared for her since her mother's death has recently passed.   Helen's father, off to do secret war work in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, leaves her in the temporary care of Flora, her mother's cousin, from Alabama.   There is fear of a polio outbreak, and the two are forced into isolation at the family's rundown home.  Their only connection to the outside community is the maid who comes in once a week, the grocery deliveryman, an occasional visit from the local Priest and the mail.  The outcome of this story is the tale of a child's life altering decisions and the regret that stays with her a lifetime.

When I read Gail Godwin I am left feeling as if she births her characters, and
like the good mother, allows them to take on a life of their own.
This may be my best read of the summer.

We'll See!

Happy Reading!

*****

I am a bit concerned over all the talk of goggle reader's demise in a few days.  I have joined bloglovin (would love for you to continue to follow me), but have yet to learn how to comment on your posts.  I write and it disappears.  I have yet to "claim my blog", for whatever that means, so not for sure if that is the problem.  To my surprise there are a wad of "Living Life"'s out there.  Oh what to do!  Share your plans.  It may help me figure out this aggravating dilemma.  

10 comments:

  1. Bonnie - I have never read anything from this author - I am going to check her out - she sounds like my kind of writer. Also I am not sure either about google reader's demise. I have not joined blog lovin - so am no help. I do depend on google reader too so better do some investigating - if I learn anything I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooo, this sounds really good. Own my way to amazon, lol!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author sounds wonderful! Thank you.

    I'm so afraid of the forthcoming changes as I just don't understand it all. I "think" I've done what I'm supposed to on bloglovin' but I just don't know. I'm afraid this may be the end of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Gail Godwin and like her very much. Will check out Flora. As for my blog "reading", I don't think I have to do anything since all of my blog friends come up through Blogspot. I may be in for a surprise come July 1. Just in case, I'm going to list my "spots" so I don't lose any of you.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited . . . I now have a new book to read, thanks to you!

    I will send you a message to try and give you some help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds like a good one! I love your reading recommendations...and I pass them to my mother as well for her book club.

    As for google reader, I'm at a loss. I don't understand...I think I have it but honestly I don't know. I played around with bloglovin - do our followers have to "re"follow us and when it asks you to copy and paste into a new post, does that show our followers as a real post? I am so confused - why do things always have to change?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have taken a month off from blogging and fear that with the changes, I will never be back. Worse than that, I will miss all the wonderful people and blogs like yours that I will never find again.

    What is bloglovin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i joined bloglovin', but i'm not sure how to do anything beyond that. i am also concerned about loosing google reader!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie...That book sounds soooo good. Thanks for the hot tip.

    While Google Reader is still active (until July 1st) you can join bloglovin and it will copy your google reader list and transfer all of the blogs you are following. I did that with Feedly too.

    I haven't told my followers what to do. If they love me, they can just tune in to my blog on a daily basis. They can still find me on Pinterest. I have started pinning each of my new blog posts there to 'alert the media'. You should do that too. For the life of me I cannot understand why Google Reader is going away. I really like Feedly better and Bloglovin is fine too.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for serendipity. I force it a little bit at the library by always taking one random selection in addition to my list.

    I haven't joined google reader. I have an app from blogspot which compiles my favourite blogs. Pretty sure I'm not going to lose you. I would just tell your fans to follow you by email.

    ReplyDelete