Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reading into the Night


via Pinterest
If you have been waiting for the official beginning of summer, it is upon us.  For those in North America who live west of  the Central Time Zone your summer begins around 10:04 tonight.   The season change will arrive for the rest of us beginning around 12:04 a.m. tomorrow.   For those who aren't feeling the need to be so exact?  The powers that be have set a universal time of 5:04 a.m. on the twenty-first.  So it seems we are given options.  And isn't that what summer is all about?


A summer's evening is the perfect time for relaxing outside with a good book.
 I thought I was doing a great job collecting books for my summer break, but alas
I am an impatient one.  The books called my name and I could not resist.  I am afraid I finished the small stack I had set aside and a few more long before the end of spring.


"If the river has a soul, it's a peaceful one.  If it has a lesson to part, that lesson is patience.  There will be drought, it says; there will be floods; the ice will form, the ice will melt; the water will flow and blend into river's brackish mouth, then join the ocean between Lewes and Cape May, endlessly, forever, amen."

Several weeks ago in anticipation of the release of the movie, everything was about "The Great Gatsby".  Having a long infatuation with the writers of the first half of the twentieth century and not wanting to be left out of all the "Gatsby" todo,  I found
  Z a Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald.  Using journals and correspondence of both Fitzgeralds, Therese Anne Fowler's fictional memoir takes us into the ebb and flow of the Fitzgerald's world through the eyes of Zelda.  

"Marry me, Zelda.  We'll make it all up as we go."

After immersing myself into Zelda's life I felt obligated to to give F. Scott equal time.  Needing to finish end of the year school projects I downloaded  This Side of Paradise, donned the earbuds and listened to the novel Fitzgerald hoped would prove him a successful author and convince Zelda to marry him, all the while painting, cutting and gluing.  It is believed much of Fitzgerald's debut novel is autobiographical. 

Then, of course, I had to re-read The Great Gatsby
Taking two years to write  Fitzgerald believed it to be his masterpiece.
Upon publication critics were harsh and the book was for the most part rejected by the public.
F. Scott died believing himself to be a failure.  It wasn't until World War II the book found it's place in the literary history.  It is now on most high school reading lists.  I found a copy in my daughter's bookshelf.  I had forgotten the beauty of the writing.


And, there have been others taking me well past the rising of the moon.

The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes.   Winner of the Man Booker Prize, Barnes explores the boundaries of memory and how our history is developed through the constant revision of memory.  It is a book you will want to discuss after finishing the last page.  I must add there was one part I "just didn't get"; obviously the narrator didn't either.

"History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation."

Blue Asylum, Kathy Hepinstall, is a perfect summer read.  Set during the Civil War, Iris Dunleavy is sent to a mental asylum for having her own thoughts and disobeying her husband.  The story begins with her arrival at the asylum on Sanibel Island.  It is through her meeting other residents and patients we learn the story of her past and allowed to make the judgement, if there is a question, of her sanity.  How can you pass up a book described as a "lusty southern gothic".    I didn't.

I have more to tell you about, but for today I'll finish with...

via pinterest
Yes, I am looking for my next book.

I'll let you know when I decide.

Now...
whatever time you choose to celebrate...
grab your tambourine,
dance,
sing and
let's bring in a new reading season.

via
Okay,
I'm sorry,
I got caught up in the moment.

Enjoy your evening, and
let me know what you are staying up nights reading.

17 comments:

  1. If you liked Z, try 'The Paris Wife' - Hemmingway's first wife, altho not back-to-back as i did! Had the same idea to read of FSF, but couldn't get into Paradise. May try Gatsby instead. Did enjoythe movie - over the top opulence.

    Read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Webb, Yes, I have read "The Paris Wife", it is still one of my favorite fictional memoirs. I think one needs to be in the right frame of mind for "This Side of Paradise". It gives a good view of the ego of the author. Gatsby has always been a favorite. I alway forget the amazing flow of words. Always good to hear from you. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. I so do enjoy how you present your posts. Love your writing style . . .i just finished a book and seem to always feel a sense of loss when one is finished and another hasn't grabbed me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I broke my wrist a year ago, I was in the doctor's office reading "The Sense of an Ending" when he walked in and asked what I thought. It turns out, we were both reading the book. My Muse group discussed it later. We all found it well done and, at a point, confusing. Right now, I am reading "Someone Knows My Name" by Lawrence Hill and "Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I've read "Founding Mothers". I enjoyed the information, but if I remember, the flow was a bit off. I have a special place in my heart for Cokie Roberts. I will check out your other suggestion. Have a wonderful weekend! Bonnie

      Delete
  4. I went through a Fitzgerald period in the 70s and loved every word he wrote. I was such a romantic then. I also remember reading Zelda and feeling oh, so sad for these two. Over the years my tastes have changed (also loved Hemingway), but maybe I should go back and re-read some of these classics and see how I feel about them in this stage of my life.

    Bonnie, your posts are always so beautifully written and so lovely to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, Thank you for your kind words. I want to think I am no longer a romantic, tainted by the watching of an unkind world, but I often feel the tug of believing in the sun rising giving us a, if not great, a good day.

      There are a few books I have read with each decade. It is interesting to see how opinions change with age, changing times and probably just by the fact of rereading. "So many books, so little time."

      Have a wonderful weekend, Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Bonnie, it must be wonderful to have summer now before you.
    I'm afraid that these days most of my reading is out of the past. I no longer keep up with what's new. I've been reading 'Old Herbaceous' by Reginald Arkell, 'Going to the Wars' by John Verney, 'Country Hoard' by Alison Uttley, 'A heritage of British Cooking' by Maggie Black and 'Over the Welsh Hills' by F S Smythe.
    My life, my head, my heart, all of me is full of books.
    As for 'The Great Gatsby', I can't stand Baz Luhrmann's films. I find his work magnificently empty.
    Hope your days are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, You always share, for me, the most unusual and interesting books. Books I would never have the chance to experience. I hope that with the closing of your bookstore you will have access to the wonderful collection you so generously introduce to your readers.

      I have mixed feelings about Luhrmann's productions. Of course I've probably not seen everything. I didn't like "Romeo and Juliet", but then I don't like my Shakespeare fiddled with. I loved "Moulin Rouge" simply because it was so exaggerated and over the top.

      I suppose your winter began today. Enjoy, I know you had the most awful summer temps. I am keeping my fingers crossed we are spared this year. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. Hello Bonnie

    Thanks for sharing what you are reading. Blue Asylum peaks my interst, having been to Sanibel Island it will mean so much more. I am reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafon and
    TransArlantic Colum McCann - both excellent.

    Wishing you the joy of summer

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I have been looking at "TransAtlantic" . I enjoyed Colum's book "Let the Great World Spin". Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  7. I'm a Fitzgerald fan and love his reflective, melancholic, 'boats against the current' voice. I went to see the film, not expecting much as the reviews had been poor. It was more of a Busby Berkeley musical than anything but I thought that all the main characters were well chosen - and I liked the frocks!
    I've just started reading, 'The Chemistry of Tears' by Peter Carey. Then I'll be plunging into Conrad's 'Nostromo' which is up for discussion at our next book group meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, I always love hearing what you and your book group are reading. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. oh bonnie, seems like you are in heaven.....i wish i had more to add!!

    i will say that you love for reading is invigorating!!

    have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a stack of Medieval History books to read at night.. I know it is odd, but that's my cuppa tea.
    I do not get a chance to read as much as I would like,but I love to listen to audio books as I paint. You are probably familiar with Librivox? You can listen to thousands of books that are in the public domain for free. Of course, it is old literature, nothing contemporary. But as you love literature so much, you may wish to check out the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, I never judge anyone's reading material. I think Medieval History sounds fascinating. I do know about Librivox. I actually have the app on my iPad and phone. I love all the classics.

      Delete
  10. Dear Bonnie - I have caught parts of the Great Gatsby but never read the book - sounds like I need to put this on my list. Summer nights are the best time to read. I am so glad you are getting in that much needed time to read. Take care friend and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete