Friday, June 7, 2013

National Doughnut Day

via Pinterest
Today is National Doughnut Day! 

Do you love doughnuts?

via Pinterest
I love doughnuts.

They bring back memories of going "downtown" with my mother visiting the local bakery for one of these soft, sugary, melt in your mouth treats before our library visits.   She would order her cup of coffee,  a glass of cold, out of the fountain, bubbly chocolate milk for me and two doughnuts.  
Sitting across from each other we would have our "big girl" chats.
These were the best mornings.

via Pinterest
Mother made these trips to the bakery not because she liked doughnuts.  
Actually I'm not for sure she liked them at all.  She did it for me.  It was certainly a chance for us to have girl time, mostly, I think, she wanted me to enjoy some of the things not allowed at home.  My brother was a juvenile diabetic; sugary treats were seldom brought into our home.

I still love doughnuts, 
although I seldom treat myself, as I know one small indulgence
 will move that blasted dial on the scales upward, 
and I am trying my darnest to keep it moving downward.
Not an easy task with all the luscious desserts some of my
favorite blogs are known for posting....
yes, you know who you are.
Oh, please don't stop...
I am happy living vicariously.

via Pinterest
 If I were going to have a doughnut today, it would be the one
in the center of the top row.  My favorite!

Do you love doughnuts?
What is your favorite?

Go out and treat yourself today...
It's Friday!

(All photographs are from Pinterest.  I was not able to find the original link, however
you may search doughnuts and you will link to these photos.  Thank you!)

14 comments:

  1. I grew up in the countryside of Western, New York. Down the road, through the apple orchards, was an old cobblestone house and garage with a shingled breezeway that connected the two. Out front was a sign: "Mrs. Randolph's Doughnuts." Inside the breezeway was a big black cast iron fryer--it smelled like heaven--and two trays marked "plain" and "sugar." Her doughnuts were yellow cake, crispy on the outside with the softest, most delicious cake flavored with vanilla and the slightest bit of nutmeg. For me, there will never be a doughnut that will rival Mrs. Randolph's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like doughnuts although can't remember the last time I had one . . . Jelly Bismark sounds wonderful . . . now you did it! I won't beable to stop thinking about a Jelly B . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of a Jelly Bismarck . It's your birthday weekend, I think you should treat yourself.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a big fan of doughnuts, and I really only like yeast donuts, favourite flavour is with plain glazed rolled in coconut, second alternative would be just plain glazed! Happy Doughnut Day! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, Coconut makes almost everything irresistible. Sounds yummy!

      Delete
  4. I love doughnuts!!!! My favorite are of course the ones that I make using the recipe that my grandmother always used, and that my mom uses too. Whenever I make them I feel as if my grandmother is by my side telling me how to add the flour and roll the dough. Special memories.

    When I do not make my own I like the doughnuts from Milwaukee, where I live they are not well made and frankly taste terrible.

    Thank you for sharing and bringing back some special memories.

    Are you finished with school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, What wonderful memories. It sounds like your love of baking/cooking comes from the heart. That is always the best!

      I have three days left of our summer program. Of course I have become attached to a child with a few special issues. I don''t know if I will be able to release him to anyone else. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. I love donuts. So light and easy to eat. I have fond memories of stopping at Dunkin Donuts toward the end of our Saturday nights during high school. Why I didn't weigh 200 pounds, I'll never know. My favorites are Apple Fritters and Maple Glazed. Although I could be happy with ANY donut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were like me, in High School we never stopped moving. The calories, carbs, didn't have a chance to linger. Now.... Oh my! Oh I love a warm apple fritter!

      Delete
  6. A delicious blog post! You are making me hungry. Like you, I love them but if I start indulging...well you know how it goes. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krispy Kreme, of course. Glazed or chocolate iced. How did i miss Donut Day? I feel so sloughful. Think i'll go get one now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bonnie - not sure you got my first comment - google redirected me (lol) - I would choose the same donut as you. What a wonderful memory of you and your mom. Hope your brother is doing alright. I know Juvenile Diabetes is a difficult disease and not only on the person who has it but the family as well. Hope you have a beautiful Sunday. Thanks for taking a walk with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long time since I've had a doughnut. Although I like them, I'd choose a muffin every time! I have a real weakness when it comes to muffins. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although in high school I worked part time for Dunkin Donuts, I still Ike glazed donuts. However back in PA, there is a orchard that makes homemade cider donuts to die for. I am going to visit in a couple of weeks and hope to get one.

    ReplyDelete