Monday, December 3, 2012

Hope...

“Hope is the thing with feathers 
That perches in the soul 
And sings the tune without the words 
And never stops at all.”  
                                                            Emily Dickinson

I think more than any other decoration I love the Christmas wreath most.  It is so 
simple, and it is always the first sign Christmas is approaching at my own home.


Today the Christmas wreath is a welcoming symbol inviting friends and
loved ones into our home.  However, the symbolism of the wreath
has been around longer than Christianity.

Pre-Christian cultures used the evergreen wreath in the celebration of 
the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year.  The wreath symbolized the end of
shortened days,  the promise of light and the hope of spring...rebirth.

In ancient times, the wreath became a symbol of strength and power.   
The Persian's wore headbands of wreaths to show their importance and success.  
Early Grecians crowned their champions with laurel wreaths after competitions.  To announce victories, Romans hung wreaths on their doors and place them upon the heads of royalty.  


Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent.
The Advent wreath, a ring of evergreen
with no beginning and no end symbolizes the anticipation of
  light conquering darkness and the hope of new life...rebirth.
It seems we are not so far removed from our earliest history.

Today, in my classroom we finished making our our advent wreaths, not from
boughs of evergreen but from construction paper.
We glued three purple candles and one pink then glued on the first flame.   
We talked about anticipation.  A big word for 4 and 5 year olds,
 but when you change anticipate to hope it is easier to understand.
At any age we all grasp the idea of having and needing hope.
No matter what we believe or what we hope for, it is always, 
in a manner of speaking, that of light and newness... rebirth.

We light the Advent wreath in anticipation of the coming of Christmas.
 We place the  Christmas wreath on our door in the hope of welcoming friends and family
into our home to celebrate generosity, giving and good cheer.

I think hanging a wreath is the perfect beginning of
this season.


Welcome, and 
Come in!

20 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie - this is a wonderful post. I never knew the history behind the wreath. Yours is so lovely. Your blog truly brings light and hope. Thanks for lighting my way today. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, You kind words mean the world. Thank you so much. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. The wreath is the first decoration I put up. I want my guests to feel welcome and feel the goodwill of the season.

    Lovely post, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wreathes, front door and back door, are the first decorations to go up at our home too. I knew nothing of the history behind them until now. Generosity and good cheer is what I want all of our guests to celebrate when they are with us. Thanks, Bonnie!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, This year I am adding boxwood wreaths in the kitchen windows. I seems the kitchen is where good friends always gather. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed learning this....the wreath is also my favorite decoration of the season. I actually have green wreaths up all year. I love the thought of celebrating 'generosity. ' Happy Advent to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I think it is a lovely idea to have a wreath on the door year 'round. I usually have a basket filled with seasonal foliage. I hope you are enjoying your week. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Truly my favorite verse, Dickenson's, "Hope is a thing with feathers . . ." Love your wreath and the symbolism. The Winter Berries are so pretty . . . Enjoy your little school children . . . I miss those days . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Yes, I, too, love the imagery of "...a thing with feather". Enjoy your week. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. I admire your industriousness, Bonnie! I've only been thinking these last few days, uh-oh, what the heck am I going to put on the door ( am I going to put anything on the door )? I'd better get a move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faisal, Christmas begins with lightening speed here in the states. I am usually left behind. I long for the days when the tree was put up just before Christmas Eve and left up for the twelve days of Christmas. Oh by all means, now you must hang a wreath upon your door. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. Bonnie, what a wonderful post. I loved learning so much about the wreath. It is probably my favorite Christmas decoration also. The poem by Emily Dickinson was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, Thank you! I enjoy researching the symbolism associated with all our traditions and rituals. I often find they have not evolved as much we often want to believe. Enjoy your week. Bonnie

      Delete
  8. Bonnie, How lucky your students are to begin school life in your classroom. Our house is usually filled with greenery at Christmas. I think it is beautiful and I enjoy the smell too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, You are too kind. I most often find I am the most fortunate person in the classroom. Yes greenery is an my favorite part of decorating, although I must stock up on the antihistamines.

      Delete
  9. Hi Bonnie,

    What a beautiful post. I know this is completely off topic. Well, maybe not, with our mutual admiration of Emily Dickenson. I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying out pinning encounters. May you have all the happiest days this December. I’ve followed you from Lynne, another kindred spirit of blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, Welcome! Yes we do seem to enjoy many of the same things. I hope you will return. I look forward to getting to know you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bow on the wreath--definitely a welcoming sign to any guests. I always make Advent Wreaths with my Sunday School Class (4 and 5 year olds too). Enjoy the Holidays. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Advent Bonnie. I think that wreaths and wreath making are one of my favourite things about Christmas! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete