Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Ponderings


Well here it is...Christmas is upon us.
This last week has been a sad and difficult one.
Many turned off the twinkling lights, took down the decorations and put them away.
Others, though no less heartbroken, chose to to continue with
holiday celebrations.  There is no right or wrong.

My own first reaction, a week ago, was to turn out the lights.  I couldn't think of lighting
 the Christmas tree when so many innocent lives were taken; so many families grieving.  Late in the evening I stood in my doorway and looked up and down my street.  Mine was the only house darkened.   The lights sparkling around each door and woven among the branches of shrubs didn't ease my aching heart, but it brought a warmth of hope I can't explain.

Saturday as I ran a few errands and prepared for a small dinner party,  I found myself humming "We Need a Little Christmas".   Each time it popped into my head I would try to silence it, feeling guilty for singing such a little ditty.  However, the song continued to  loop through my brain all day and into the new week.

Tuesday while doing a bit of running around a neighbor called to alert me that our street was blocked off.  She broke the news a neighbor's home was on fire.  I felt everything beginning to spin around me.  We had watched this young couple move in late in the summer and work on their home, doing much of it themselves.   M. and I continued to brainstorm what we could do immediately; it was decided, while I was out I would gather somethings they would need for the night.  As I roamed around the store frantically "We Need a Little Christmas" once again began streaming through my head.  When  I returned home there were police cars and firetrucks lining the street; it was now dark.  Small groups of neighbors huddled together, several in my front yard.   Everyone was asking the same thing...what can I do?

This year the holidays will be a somber one.    We will take time to be quiet and think of those who are suffering and heartbroken.  Here at "Living Life" we will listen a little closer, embrace a little tighter and look toward the light.

It  is the light atop the lighthouse that warns the seafarer.  A candle in the window welcomes home the wayward traveler.  And, it is the lights of Christmas which bring us together and give us hope and promise of a new tomorrow.

I will never understand the carnage that took place in Newtown, why ten young Afghan girls were killed while gathering wood in easter Afghanistan, or why my neighbor's home was destroyed.  I do know I believe in humanity.  I believe we are more alike than different.  And, I most certainly believe we will rise.

Yes I've
"Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder,
Grown a little older,
And I need a little angel
Sitting on my shoulder,
Need a little Christmas now
."


May you find strength and hope this holiday season.
Merry Christmas!

15 comments:

  1. oh bonnie, helping others always makes me feel so good inside. you should always do, what makes you feel happiest!! finding joy, in the wake of the ct. tragedy has been difficult, for everyone.....and i think that's the way it should be.

    that's just terrible about your neighbors. here at the jersey shore, we have so many friends and family that are still displaced because of sandy.

    i hope you find some christmas joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Bonnie. It does make one ponder, knowing that real grief abounds across the world, or right next door, while we celebrate. I guess we should concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas, which IS a reason to rejoice. No matter what is going on around us, that never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had only the lights this season I would be content. Everything else seems so trivial and small when so many are hurting beyond belief. Even those who are hurting quietly. I wish I could be there for them all. But if I could be there for just one I will feel peace. I will pray for your neighbors...they are very lucky to have you.

    I wish you peace and contentment this season. XO
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,
    This was beautifully thought out and expressed. You're right in that there is no right or wrong. We can only move forward in our own ways.

    My neighbors two doors down had a fire over the summer. It was very scary. All of my neighbors were there to offer a shoulder to cry on, a place to sleep for the night or longer, clothes, whatever was needed. It was so heartwarming to see everyone pull together and offer support.

    I think we do need a little Christmas to restore our hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie,
    So beautifully said . . . Thank you for singing the little ditty, "We need a little Christmas" and for sharing your thoughts. This gave me something I needed. As I light my luminaries, and candles I will be lighting them for the children, teachers and school personnel from Newtown.

    You have brought the Light . . .
    Merry Christmas.
    Love,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too many tears.. Hugs, instead. Thinking of you and hoping for better times soon. We needa lot of Christmas now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is what i am doing keeping Christmas alive. "we need a little Christmas" throughout the year ... & keeping it alive ... i can do it. hope others can do.

    Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year in 2013. big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad and difficult yes, Bonnie. Moments of random acts of kindness, yes. Count your blessings, dear one. I got stuck in my head with Hark the herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King! Peace on earth and mercy mild God and sinners reconciled." Lovely, yes. Melancholy, too much so. I'm with others here thinking we need a whole lotta Christmas this year perhaps more than most. Merry Christmas, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about you and all of my other teacher friends this past week. Here's what I told my girls: there will always be a few people like the shooter in Newton who add darkness to the world, and the only thing we can really do about it is make sure we add more light. We talked about all of the things we can do right now to add light to the world - like sending a box of gifts to an orphanage in Haiti and helping our sisters with their chores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A heartfelt posting, Bonnie and I am glad that your Christmas lights are shining again. Blogging has shown me that we are, indeed, more alike than different, no matter our country or creed. There will always be sadness but there must always also be joy and that is what I wish for you and your family this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, you are so right, thereis no right or wrong. It has indeed been a storage and heartbreaking week. Life challenges us sometimes to really stop and think about what is important. I too have pondered what to do and made the decision to celebrate, surrounded by the love and arms of my family.

    My thoughts and prayers at ith the devastated families and community of Newton.

    Happy holidays, thank you for giving us something to ponder, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally understand. It seems to have been a very difficult year for so many people. We have had much sadness in our own family as well. My husband's stepdaughter who lived in Manhattan, age 22, bipolar but talented musician, committed suicide in September. My own daughter has problems that we are currently dealing with. Let's hope next year gets better. Keep that song in your head. We all DO need a little Christmas, it is what gives us hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So well said, Bonnie. I too turned off the lights for a few days but then decided maybe it would help our hearts to have them on. I still don't know...

    ReplyDelete